What's It Gonna Take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's It Gonna Take?

For us to be a dominant and elite team consistently for 15 years like the Patriots and Steelers? I'm not talking about 3-5 years of it here and there. A good solid run of 15 years of dominance.

We have a young team that could do it with the right coaching. What needs to happen?

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
    Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
    Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
    Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
    I still miss you Jake Plummer!

sigpic

Elway to stop drafting 7’ “project” QB’s and signing other teams worst lineman to lucrative contracts.......
    #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoholic JS View Post
      For us to be a dominant and elite team consistently for 15 years like the Patriots and Steelers? I'm not talking about 3-5 years of it here and there. A good solid run of 15 years of dominance.

We have a young team that could do it with the right coaching. What needs to happen?
      In the previous 15 seasons prior to 2017, the Broncos and Steelers have the same amount of winning seasons with 10 each. That said, the Steelers do have a slight advantage in Super Bowls appearances (3-2) and Super Bowl wins (2-1).

Comment

We need our Terrell Davis back....AKA.....Saquan Barkley

Comment

1. A bona fide franchise quarterback and adequate coaching.

2. A super star quarterback and below average coaching.
          Adopted Poster
          AZ Snake Fan

Comment

I think the root of the problem is the scouting team. Teams like the Steelers and Patriots don't just keep getting lucky, they know how to accurately access talent. That is why the Steelers keep adding WRs that keep balling and the Patriots can find starters in any round and keep in mind, they've been picking at the end of the round for years.

Next, you need a coaches aren't softies. I'm not saying they all have to be hard, but if you mess up there should be some fear of some kind of penalty. Mediocrity performances on Sunday is not ok as long the practices are "good", or 10-15 bad plays are ok as long as their are 10-15 good plays. I guess it comes down to in-game execution. Almost like if you mess up, you're not starting, for chronic offenders, maybe yes.

I'll add that the QB needs to be the leader on the field. This is tough for a rookie QB until they earn some stripes but some QB never become that leader (Jay Cutler) and some young QBs start early (Mitchell Tribisky).

Last of all, depth! In SB 48 we lost Von in the season and in the SB we played terrible. Not sure who else was lost but we had a few people out in SB48 so that really hurt us going in. If we only draft an 1 OT and no other o-linemen then there will be a bug drop off if any of the starters get hurt. We lost D. Ware and Shane Ray has been quiet, Shaq Barrett was a nice surprise but not the kind of pressure that you'd like to see when all the attention is on Von getting double teamed. This brings it full circle back to good scouting.
            Last edited by haciendadad; 12-17-2017, 03:19 PM.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Pretty high bar you set there. You just happened to list the two AFC franchises that are better than us. For the Steelers, they've done it with a HOF QB, consistent coaching, and a generally stiff D year after year. The Pats? Well, you combine arguably the best QB and the best coach of all time for over 15 years you're going to do some things.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoholic JS View Post

Consistency! Brady/Belichick, Roethlisberger/Tomlin.

We can’t have arrogant control freaks that scapegoats their coaches. Elway and Shanahan both fit the profile of arrogant control freaks.

Comment

Like Sam_Z said, Consistency. Also, both of those teams have had the same set of coaches for the most part for a long time. The coaching turnover sets us back years each time it happens.
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Originally posted by haciendadad View Post
                    I think the root of the problem is the scouting team. Teams like the Steelers and Patriots don't just keep getting lucky, they know how to accurately access talent. That is why the Steelers keep adding WRs that keep balling and the Patriots can find starters in any round and keep in mind, they've been picking at the end of the round for years.
                    I don't really buy that, I don't think NE do a very good job in the draft or FA. What they have is the GOAT QB, the one year he was injured they missed the playoffs.

Same with the Steelers, they have Big Ben. Apart from AB their receivers are pretty average and look better then they are because of the QB. Remember how PM used to make the Colt receivers into stars who went downhill once they left.

Good coaches help but you really need a top QB, that is way more important then most things. We had PM for 4 years and went to 2 SB's, that wasn't down to coaching. Same with VJ this year, he has made some rookie mistakes but any coach with our QB situation would look bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                      Consistency! Brady/Belichick, Roethlisberger/Tomlin.

We can’t have arrogant control freaks that scapegoats their coaches. Elway and Shanahan both fit the profile of arrogant control freaks.
                      Elway and Shanahan are two of the biggest reasons why this franchise has been so successful since the mid 80s. If control freaks like them got us 3 Lombardi trophies I'm all for it. Also, last I checked Bill Belichick is in total control of the Patriots.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                        Elway and Shanahan are two of the biggest reasons why this franchise has been so successful since the mid 80s. If control freaks like them got us 3 Lombardi trophies I'm all for it. Also, last I checked Bill Belichick is in total control of the Patriots.
                        BB is a very good coach but he needs to prove he can win once Brady retires if he wants to be in the GOAT conversation. People always list the best coaches as..... BB, Tomlin, McCarthy, etc....... but its no coincidence that they have the best QB's in the league.

I think Kyle Shanahan is a pretty good coach but its no coincidence that they have started to win games now that JG is under center.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                          BB is a very good coach but he needs to prove he can win once Brady retires if he wants to be in the GOAT conversation. People always list the best coaches as..... BB, Tomlin, McCarthy, etc....... but its no coincidence that they have the best QB's in the league.

I think Kyle Shanahan is a pretty good coach but its no coincidence that they have started to win games now that JG is under center.
                          Ok. I think most of the great coaches have had good QBs around them. Lombardi had Starr. Landry had Staubach. Shula had Griese and Marino. Walsh had Montana.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                            Ok. I think most of the great coaches have had good QBs around them. Lombardi had Starr. Landry had Staubach. Shula had Griese and Marino. Walsh had Montana.
                            Its so hard to judge what makes a coach 'great' when they have a top QB that instantly gives them a massive advantage over other teams.

Its the same over here with out premier league football. The best coaches are always named as...... Guardiola, Conte, Klopp, Wenger, and Mourinho...... because their teams are near the top, but they are in charge of the biggest clubs who spend hundreds of millions every offseason and buy in the best players.

BB had one non Brady year in NE and failed to win the division and didn't even make the playoffs. Plus he struggled in Cleveland when he had a bad team.

Look at how many NE assistants look fantastic and become hot names, only to be some of the worst HC's in the league. They find out that life away from Brady is a completely different universe.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                              Its so hard to judge what makes a coach 'great' when they have a top QB that instantly gives them a massive advantage over other teams.

Its the same over here with out premier league football. The best coaches are always named as...... Guardiola, Conte, Klopp, Wenger, and Mourinho...... because their teams are near the top, but they are in charge of the biggest clubs who spend hundreds of millions every offseason and buy in the best players.

BB had one non Brady year in NE and failed to win the division and didn't even make the playoffs. Plus he struggled in Cleveland when he had a bad team.

Look at how many NE assistants look fantastic and become hot names, only to be some of the worst HC's in the league. They find out that life away from Brady is a completely different universe.
                              To be fair, coaching in Cleveland is like having one hand tied behind your back. That being said, certainly Belichick has benefited from having Brady as his QB and Kraft as his owner. I think it's also safe to say Brady wouldn't have 5 rings if he had been drafted by a bad franchise.

Comment

Working...
                              X