Vance wants to stay to "fix it"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Warhawk View Post
    Your thoughts pretty much capture where I'm at now. There seems to be a bit of a theme around not owning up to what appear to be fairly major mistakes (e.g. Lynch, VJ). It almost seems like the team is willing to sacrifice a season in the faint hope that some of these choices pay off. Doubling down on shaky decisions generally isn't a recipe for success.

As for the QB situation - going into the spring, the team desperately wanted to give Lynch the starting job... but to their dismay he didn't come close to earning it. That set things on the wrong track right from the get go. Picking up a discarded Brock was just a patch job... I don't believe he was seen as any kind of solution in the long run. The team gambled on Lynch stepping up and got burnt. It didn't help that they also gambled on a few other questionable solutions on the offensive side of the ball, which led to the disaster we saw on offense.
    I know we can use the power of hindsight now, but Lynch was worth the gamble. Look at Wentz and Goff and the progress they made this year was unreal, it wasn't completely out of the question to think Lynch could take similar steps forward.

Unfornutaly he didn't progress and it didn't work. But, imagine where we would be right now if Lynch was playing at a similar level to Wentz, we'd be getting ready for the playoffs with cheap QB who still has 3 years left on his rookie deal. This would allow us to continue to build around the defense and not worry about budgeting in a QB at $25 million a year.

However slim the chances of Lynch working out were, we had to at least take a shot at it.

Comment

• As long as we don’t end up like the bengals letting a coach hang around for 15+ years without a single playoff win.

If VJ learned anything under Marvin Lewis it was how to talk your way out of being fired.
      Last edited by shawinkerpoppin; 01-02-2018, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• None of Joseph's past really mattered to Elway because it didn't matter when Matt Russell got drunk and ran into a cop car.

So, here is Elway's logic, 'let's take a guy with one year of experience as a Defensive Coordinator, where his team got blown out in the last game to miss the playoffs, and let's make that guy the face of the franchise as Head Coach. And by the way, he has past inappropriate allegations against him. Yea, that is just what we need to do".

Who does that? Is Elway friggin' insane?

Then, Elway's logic:" then we are going to get a guy that knows something about being in trouble with the law and make him Director of our Players. Yup, a real, 'I been where you're at kind of guy' that has walked a mile in the shoes of someone who has made a bad decision. Matt 'Bumper Car' Russell is our man"!

Now I am thinking we really need to look into that CTE thing with Elway, 'cause he may have lost it.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Rancid View Post
          None of Joseph's past really mattered to Elway because it didn't matter when Matt Russell got drunk and ran into a cop car.

So, here is Elway's logic, 'let's take a guy with one year of experience as a Defensive Coordinator, where his team got blown out in the last game to miss the playoffs, and let's make that guy the face of the franchise as Head Coach. And by the way, he has past inappropriate allegations against him. Yea, that is just what we need to do".

Who does that? Is Elway friggin' insane?

Then, Elway's logic:" then we are going to get a guy that knows something about being in trouble with the law and make him Director of our Players. Yup, a real, 'I been where you're at kind of guy' that has walked a mile in the shoes of someone who has made a bad decision. Matt 'Bumper Car' Russell is our man"!

Now I am thinking we really need to look into that CTE thing with Elway, 'cause he may have lost it.
          Maybe you have a point. Crazy making really. The only thing I feel somewhat ok about is Gary Kubiak having an enlarged role in the organization. Maybe there will be a sane voice around. Although it was Kubes who stepped in for VJ.

In the words of Vince Lombardi, "what the hell's going on around here?"
          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
            Maybe you have a point. Crazy making really. The only thing I feel somewhat ok about is Gary Kubiak having an enlarged role in the organization. Maybe there will be a sane voice around. Although it was Kubes who stepped in for VJ.

Help us Obi Wan Kenubiak, you're our only hope!
            Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

• Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post

I am agreeing with you and EM at the same time. To me, it is not about Joseph as it is the decision to hire him in the first place.

Matt Praeter gets a DUI, he gets cut. Matt Russell gets a DUI by crashing into and injuring a cop, he gets no disciplinary action by the team.

Joe Mixon punches a woman and they rightfully pass on him in the draft. Aqib Talib pulls out a gun and is so wasted he shoots himself in his own ass and is fortunate not to hurt anyone else and nothing happens.

I find the inconsistency in Elway's actions so laughable because it is clear that the curtain has been pulled back on The Great and Powerful Oz and it is really nothing more than some washed up old guy making it up as he goes. And that is why I have a problem because we need someone smarter than that.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                I am agreeing with you and EM at the same time. To me, it is not about Joseph as it is the decision to hire him in the first place.

Matt Praeter gets a DUI, he gets cut. Matt Russell gets a DUI by crashing into and injuring a cop, he gets no disciplinary action by the team.

Joe Mixon punches a woman and they rightfully pass on him in the draft. Aqib Talib pulls out a gun and is so wasted he shoots himself in his own ass and is fortunate not to hurt anyone else and nothing happens.

I find the inconsistency in Elway's actions so laughable because it is clear that the curtain has been pulled back on The Great and Powerful Oz and it is really nothing more than some washed up old guy making it up as he goes. And that is why I have a problem because we need someone smarter than that.
                Not to go against anything you said, you have good points, but Russell was suspended for 60 days by the team. And Prater was suspended for 4 games by the league to start 2014 and the Broncos just stayed with McManus instead, Prater's cap hit probably had as much to do with it as anything, along with McManus being 5/6 on FGs during the suspension.

Comment

• I'd like to steer part of this conversation to this thread:

https://forums.denverbroncos.com/sho...ball-quot-past

Let's keep this one on football.

Thanks.
                  Administrator

#Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

#LupusAwarenessMonth

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• If we can get Kurt Cousins and win lotsa games next year, John Elway won't have "Dementia" or "CTE". JFE is just fine, we just had a bad year. VJ will be a better coach, if he has a better QB, and they provide him with the tools to be successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                      Those are the exceptions based purely from playoff teams this year. When you limit yourself to 12 teams you don't have 100 examples. I didn't even list Mike Zimmer
                      Sean McDermott is another this year.

On the other hand, there are offensive minded head coaches who aren't doing so well: Bill O'Brien; Ben McAdoo didn't make it to the end of the season; Jay Gruden; Adam Gase; Hue Jackson didn't win a game (Why is he named after a city in Viet Nam?); Dirk Koetter (Why is he named after a Scottish dagger?)
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        Sean McDermott is another this year.

On the other hand, there are offensive minded head coaches who aren't doing so well: Bill O'Brien; Ben McAdoo didn't make it to the end of the season; Jay Gruden; Adam Gase; Hue Jackson didn't win a game (Why is he named after a city in Viet Nam?); Dirk Koetter (Why is he named after a Scottish dagger?)
                        I am not excited about the return on Joseph, but I hope I am wrong. Most of those coaches you listed had significant injuries to big time talented players, and yes I know next guy up can apply here.

If Joseph doesn't get good QB play he won't be successful just like all of the guys on your list.

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                          Last I heard before the KC game was Denver was still the 2nd ranked D, what exactly did he ruin there?
                          The most glaring deficiency of Denver's 2017 Defense was allowing 29 TD passes which ranked 28th in the league. They also had only 10 picks which was 24th in the league. With Denver's pass rush and Secondary, those stats should have been much better. On the positive side, the run D was greatly improved from 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by capt. Jack View Post
                            If we can get Kurt Cousins and win lotsa games next year, John Elway won't have "Dementia" or "CTE". JFE is just fine, we just had a bad year. VJ will be a better coach, if he has a better QB, and they provide him with the tools to be successful.
                            I'm not thrilled about VJ coming back

But seriously, this forum.... after one bad year where nothing went right they're now calling Elway a brain damaged bafoon lol.

The guy who built both one of the greatest offenses and defenses ever in the span of just a couple years, is now considered a guy who can't even remember where he left his car keys.

Comment

• Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
                              I am not excited about the return on Joseph, but I hope I am wrong. Most of those coaches you listed had significant injuries to big time talented players, and yes I know next guy up can apply here.

If Joseph doesn't get good QB play he won't be successful just like all of the guys on your list.
                              At any level, the head football coach is responsible for what happens on the field. That's why I thought Vance Joseph would be fired. But, he wasn't, so I'll just try to keep track of what happens in the offseason. Great players make coaches look smart. We'll see what happens.

Siemian and Osweiler (who probably won't be back) are not starters; they are strictly backups. Jury is still out on Paxton who played better in the season finale than I have seen, but they won't depend on him. A free agent or first round rookie will be acquired and Chad Kelly will be the X factor. It will be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X