Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    This was your entire post I reacted to

Does not seem like a fan would post something like this. Specially when Wade as a DC has a top 7 run defense in 6 of his last 9 years as DC with 4 different teams.

Specially a Bronco fan whose team just recently earned a Super Bowl from Wade's coaching as DC.

Would seem like a Bronco fan, specially a Wade fan, would be looking for reasons to put Wade up and not drag him down.

Or do you expect DCs you are a fan of to have a great run defense every year? Is that even realistic in the NFL?
    Yes - but that all depends on who they have as their main 3 interior guys (two DE's and the NT). If they can generate good to decent pressure up the middle and tackle well then you're going to generally do well stopping the run. If I can critique one main thing which I think Wade needs to adapt in his general approach it is that he doesn't always need to target a smaller NT to get agility. I think that is an old school philosophy and if he truly wants to take his team to the next level he needs to push that notion out of his head. I see Wade's ideologies being similar to those of Kubiak's choice for O-lineman. It may have been true YEARS ago that larger guys couldn't move well - that was then and this is now. Times have changed. Also as I stated in my previous post Wade's defense is predicated on interior pressure and good/decent man coverage in the secondary. If he is missing either of those two he generally has a poor showing in one of his categories (passing or run D). In our case in 2016 we had poor pressure and a NT who couldn't come off a block to tackle. Hence the poor run D stats. It also didn't help that we were pretty banged up at the LB position.

In short though so long as the right personnel are in place Wade's system is sound.

Comment

Man I miss Peyton! 1

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        In 2015 under Wade Phillips, Denver had a top D against the run and the pass. I prefer Wade's gap control/spill run D over two-gap/funnel. The Broncos had the team speed to pursue to the sideline which never fails to make a stop.

The 2015 D was so dominant, some began to wonder what the best way to attack it would be? Prior to Super Bowl 50, I thought Carolina's only chance was to run the ball, don't throw any passes and don't go out of bounds. After Super Bowl 50, I thought an opponent would have the best results running angle blocked plays between the Tackles with plenty of PAP. That's what happened in 2016 and Denver's run D slipped to 28th in the league.

A priority for 2017 was to fix the run D. They bounced back from the previous year and finished 5th in run D. The main problem on defense in 2017 was giving up big pass plays 29 of which went for TDs. A priority for 2018 will be to study why that happened and fix it while maintaining good run D. Turning the ball over 34 times didn't help, but other defense only factors were in play as well.

Pass coverages need to be mixed and disguised. Everything from Cover 0 to 9 including Combos and Inverts should be shown at least once a game. Cover 2, Tampa 2 and Cover 2 Robber all need to be shown at least once per game. Zone Blitz should be used every game. Different alignments should be used, and the D-Line and Backers need to stem and sugar plus shift their look just before the snap. I'm sure much of that is already happening and we'll see what happens next year.

Stopping the run, or at least making it non-viable, is the key to any good D. Denver can build on that for next year.
        This was your entire post I reacted to

Does not seem like a fan would post something like this. Specially when Wade as a DC has a top 7 run defense in 6 of his last 9 years as DC with 4 different teams.

Specially a Bronco fan whose team just recently earned a Super Bowl from Wade's coaching as DC.

Would seem like a Bronco fan, specially a Wade fan, would be looking for reasons to put Wade up and not drag him down.

Or do you expect DCs you are a fan of to have a great run defense every year? Is that even realistic in the NFL?
        Football coaching is about addressing what needs to be improved, eliminating mistakes and fixing what isn't working. That's the only reason to study and analyze the game. I hardly ever quote myself, but I did so from an earlier post on page thee of this thread, I believe, in order to remind you that my comments had to do with studying and analyzing the game.

I don't need any lectures from you on how to be a Bronco fan. I have been one for fifty-three years. I have been a Bronco fan longer than most people on this message board have been alive, and I think that probably includes you.

I always enjoy a good football conversation. If you're interested in one of those, I'm there for you. If not, just leave me alone.

P.S. As previously stated, I miss Wade Phillips, too. I also miss Joe Collier and Red Miller, but time marches on and good times don't last forever. When I became a Bronco fan, I had to wait ten years for the first winning season. Is that "fan" enough for you?
        Last edited by samparnell; 01-08-2018, 03:12 PM. Reason: post scriptum
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Not sure if I would go that high but I fully agree with you. That defense carried us to a Ring and Wade was the man behind it.

Some Bronco fans seem to already be ready to throw him under the bus

I don't think any fans are throwing wade under the bus, more so those fans are tired of the constant screams for attention by constantly talking about missing wade

we get it wade is a great DC, wade was a part of our SB WIN...BUT WADE IS GONE

and no amount of rehashing will bring him back
          sigpic
          when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Not sure if I would go that high but I fully agree with you. That defense carried us to a Ring and Wade was the man behind it.

Some Bronco fans seem to already be ready to throw him under the bus
            Perhaps it is a little like when you break up with a spouse and you see them again, and they are happy.. living the good life and, wow do they look good. You maybe start looking for any little flaw you can attach to because it makes you feel better. Deep inside you know a good one got away but, in order to move on you have to focus on the negative of that person as a coping mechanism.

That seems logical to me because there is no way anyone can actually think that Wade wasn't good for the Broncos, and what the Broncos have now as far as coaching is a total mess.

Wade wasn't perfect but, we did win a SB with his defense.. a defense that was considered one of the greatest of all time.
            Last edited by KansasKrista; 01-09-2018, 10:14 AM.
            My adopted Bronco is Case Keenum

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
              I don't think any fans are throwing wade under the bus, more so those fans are tired of the constant screams for attention by constantly talking about missing wade

Some people above are putting him down.

Originally posted by arapaho View Post

It is not about bringing him back

It is about showing him the due respect and appreciation.....not putting him down because the team decided to go another direction.
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                Football coaching is about addressing what needs to be improved, eliminating mistakes and fixing what isn't working. That's the only reason to study and analyze the game. I hardly ever quote myself, but I did so from an earlier post on page thee of this thread, I believe, in order to remind you that my comments had to do with studying and analyzing the game.

I don't need any lectures from you on how to be a Bronco fan. I have been one for fifty-three years. I have been a Bronco fan longer than most people on this message board have been alive, and I think that probably includes you.

I always enjoy a good football conversation. If you're interested in one of those, I'm there for you. If not, just leave me alone.

P.S. As previously stated, I miss Wade Phillips, too. I also miss Joe Collier and Red Miller, but time marches on and good times don't last forever. When I became a Bronco fan, I had to wait ten years for the first winning season. Is that "fan" enough for you?
                I did not mean to be telling you what to do as a Bronco fan.

Can only speak for myself...been a football fan for almost as long as you. I know how hard it is to win a Ring...I look at the major contributors who help us win one with reverence....specially when history shows they deserve it.

Yes I will jump up and defend them with passion if anyone speaks badly of them specially if I think it is wrong. I highly respect you Sam but I will not apologize for that.

I will apologize if I made you think I am trying to tell you how to act as a Bronco fan though.
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Some people above are putting him down.

It is not about bringing him back

It is about showing him the due respect and appreciation.....not putting him down because the team decided to go another direction.
                  some people are saying their opinions of wade as is their right, if you want everybody to demand everything be written to be all rainbows and unicorns farting glitter this isn't the place for you
                  sigpic
                  when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by KansasKrista View Post
                    Perhaps it is a little like when you break up with a spouse and you see them again, and they are happy.. living the good life and, wow do they look good. You maybe start looking for any little flaw you can attach to because it makes you feel better. Deep inside you know a good one got away but, in order to move on you have to focus on the negative of that person as a coping mechanism.

That seems logical to me because there is no way anyone can actually think that Wade wasn't good for the Broncos, and what the Broncos have now as far as coaching is a total mess.

Wade wasn't perfect but, we did win a SB with his defense.. a defense that was considered one of the greatest of all time.
                    This is a very insightful post. It does make sense.

To everyone. We do not check fan cards. Please keep that out of the conversation. Thanks.
                    Administrator

#Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

#LupusAwarenessMonth

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

I started this thread mostly to throw shade at Joe Woods and John Elway. John should have never let Wade go, and Woods isn’t good at what he does. Just like Trevor Siemien is no Peyton, Joe Woods is no Wade.

Comment

Originally posted by KansasKrista View Post

I agree with your concept about coping. It is not the first time I have seen it on these boards.

Man I remember a time when Elway's mom asked if we have to go to another Super Bowl because the Big Losses were just such a hard thing to take. I am sure it was harder on the players and coaches but it was hard on the fans too.

I am just so appreciative of the people who play major roles in winning a Ring....

Ultimately it is about the last comment I highlighted though. That defense was historically epic man and it deserves some orange colored glasses but even when those glasses are taken off the picture looks good for Wade. He has not only coached good defenses on many different teams but if you go back far enough one can see 2015 was not the first time Wade coached good defenses for the Broncos....he has been at the head of some play making Bronco defenses decades ago too! To an old fan like me....I remember all of that.

To me...to "cast shade" on Wade in effort to cope with a bad decision by someone else...even if that person is the Duke of Mile High....just does not feel right.

To each his own I guess...but some fights are worth standing up for even to an old guy like me.
                        Last edited by Hadez; 01-11-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X