Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Given Rumors and The State Of The Team, Whats The Best Direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broncolassiter
    replied
    I think Kirk could do well in Denver. Musgrave runs the same offense that Shannahan drafted Kirk for. Had it been up to Shanny Kirk would have been the starter. Kirk has said he wants to win championships. Somehow I believe the right team could get him cheaper than most think. Even if he comes down to 20, it still means changes, such as contract renegotiation's and others released to make space. Drafting a QB would be cheaper but still some small changes would still need to be made. The question is; How long before we compete with a Baker Mayfield vs- Cousins. You have other questions such as who has the most upside and who is the best solution long term? Drafts picks are always risky, many QBs have been taken top 5 and failed.

I think Elway should make a push to restructure DT and V. Miller. Trade Paxton, coupled with a lower draft pick or two to acquire an additional early pick (to many picks, not enough cap). Bring back either Todd Davis or Cory Nelson. By trading or releasing Talib, they clear about 10 mil, then sign Roby to a long term. With a few moves, there would be enough space to bring in Cousins, and still draft a QB to sit behind him. leaving enough picks for depth at Guard and RT, depending on where we go with the FA crop that was signed last season and failed.

By starting Cousins, we can make a push in 2018, Starting a Rookie, we may make a push in 2020. The team is built to win now, what will it look like in 3 years while developing a rookie?

Leave a comment:

• AZBobalu
    replied
    I had posted this comment and link on another thread regarding the signing of a certain free agent QB. As this post on Mile High Report notes, we will only have a projected $7.82 million in cap space available once we take care of restricted and exclusive rights free agents, signing our draft picks and other housekeeping contracts. This leads to who's getting cut or restructured to free up cap space to sign anyone. I'm not sure how this will shake out but it obviously will determine the state of the team.
    https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/...cap-and-roster

Leave a comment:

• nickmeyer
    replied
    Well Kirk will be available but at what price? We will have to make significant changes to the roster to land him. Don't like it at all.

Leave a comment:

• Chop_Block
    replied
    Originally posted by flosstein View Post
    Because he’s boring. He doesn’t make weekly highlight reels. That’s what I’ve come to make of it. I’ve asked that same question for 3 seasons now. He is part of the solution, not part of the problem. Major mistake trying to replace him instead of making him the feature of the offense. Goal should be 20-25 carries/game and keeping our best offensive player here in Denver.
    No team we play gives a hoot if CJ is in the lineup or not. He's a good back but not extraordinary in any way except maybe heart. I love the guy as a teammate but he's not really earning his salary at that position. Pretty easy to draft a decent RB at much less money. Harsh reality is RB isn't where we need to spend our money.

Leave a comment:

• dukes88
    replied
    We will know once Free Agency starts and the reality is that the Broncos won't even know if Cousins is truly available until Washington decides on what they are going to do. I am not convinced that Smith, Manning or one of the Vikings trio (Bradford, Bridgewater, or Keenum) are the answers for us long-term. If they can land Cousins, they have some cap work to do - but we need to put some cap money into the most important position on the field. Foles is twice the QB of any of our guys and is the backup to the future MVP in Philly and has a chance to win the SB this weekend. We can't win without a QB, our OL and running game cannot carry us - CJ is not the answer. We have no depth at WR and DT and Sanders are getting paid to be studs and have nobody to throw to them.

If we have to go to the draft to grab our QB, I do think it is time for a rebuild. Let's grab as much young talented players around that QB as we can and begin to retool the D. The OL is on the way with a couple more moves, our WR, TE and RB needs a jolt and then we start to build the DL and LB core with young talent. Bandaids and a rookie QB will not get us back to the playoffs in all likelihood.

Lots of options - but unfortunately the Broncos are at the mercy of other teams (Washington, and the 4 picks ahead of us could all be QBs).

Leave a comment:

• SoundsOfSuccess
    replied
    Originally posted by nickmeyer View Post
    I can not believe I am saying this, but man is Cousins our best option? I feel like he is but I also dont like it, just like it better than drafting a Rookie. Just going to have to wait and see who is available. I feel like no matter what Elway and Co do here its not an ideal situation. Talib is good as gone (and that sucks). The rookies in the draft are not impressive to me at all, there isn't a Peyton Manning or a John Elway. Not excited for this offseason I don't think this is a one offseason fix I think its closer to two if Elway makes the right moves, glad I am not in his shoes right now.
    We could potentially have Kirk for 8 or so years. Now, he does need to improve. He's good but not great and he's gonna get paid like he's great. So I understand the argument to both sides. We just haven't had a QB for a long time in awhile...

Leave a comment:

• nickmeyer
    replied
    I can not believe I am saying this, but man is Cousins our best option? I feel like he is but I also dont like it, just like it better than drafting a Rookie. Just going to have to wait and see who is available. I feel like no matter what Elway and Co do here its not an ideal situation. Talib is good as gone (and that sucks). The rookies in the draft are not impressive to me at all, there isn't a Peyton Manning or a John Elway. Not excited for this offseason I don't think this is a one offseason fix I think its closer to two if Elway makes the right moves, glad I am not in his shoes right now.

Leave a comment:

• SMR81
    replied
    Draft Barkley @ 5.
    Play Trevor, skip the ridiculous QB competition.
    #MDGA

Leave a comment:

• SoundsOfSuccess
    replied
    Draft Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield --non project QBs. Trade Paxton, keep Trevor, check out Chad Kelly

Cut Anderson. sign a cheap vet to go with Booker and Henderson

Keep Thomas and Sanders, sign a young high-upside slot receiver (I.E. Robert Woods last year). See if Carlos Henderson and Jordan Taylor are good enough to stick, evaluate DT and Sanders next offseason

Sign a RT please. Cut Donnie Stephenson, tell Menelik to go play rugby. Bring Barbre back as versatile backup. Let McGovern and Garcia compete for G.

Trade Shane Ray or Shaq Barrett if we can get some compensation-- if not, hold tight

Let Davis go, sign a quality fast LB. Maybe let Marshall go and draft a LB, maybe

Keep Talib, draft a CB that's not a WR from Elon

Explore trading Darian Stewart, play Simmons at FS.

I know money is tight, but we're still a playoff team with Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold. They're ready to play. We need to keep our stars so that their replacements can develop better behind them. If we start the rebuild now, we'll waste a lot of time finding out Vance Joseph is our biggest problem
    Last edited by SoundsOfSuccess; 01-29-2018, 10:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MHSalute
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    As in, put them in jail. Just kidding. The phrase just gave me a chuckle.
    Also could apply to some unfortunately

Agree with Sam that there is not really a good FA option for OT this year. Think we should be exploring any possible trade options to secure an above avg OT (would be better than where we have been at RT for 2-3 years). Watching Miami, who is not in a good cap place, and what may happen with Ja'Wuan James. Not a world beater, but above average imo and is only 25. Sanders to Miami in a swap? Sanders did have best year ever under Gase. Peters in Philly or Glenn in Buffalo also worth keeping an eye on. Anything to let us not reach in the draft and grab an OT we like in round 2 or 3. We need two OTs anyways...

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    The way the choices were worded, I opted for minor rebuild because IMO VJ should be on the hot seat especially if Denver signs Kirk Cousins. I doubt if Denver will be able to sign him because I think Washington will Transition Tag him to set his value and then match.

That would put Denver in the position of drafting a QB at #5 and seeing if he can win the job as a rookie. If not, there may be other options.

I think it would be smart to get cap relief by trading or releasing some guys with big contracts even if they don't sign Cousins. That might enable the Broncos to sign some free agents at areas of need.

Unfortunately, the free agent Right Tackles don't look that great. Guard is a little better, but not much, it seems. I think I've seen enough of Donald Stephenson and Menelik Watson to let them pursue football elsewhere. I would re-sign Billy Turner and keep Cyrus Kouandijo and draft a RT and a LG. If a good free agent or two can be signed to reasonable contracts, that would be good.

Talib, Sanders and Anderson have contracts that make them possible trade/release candidates. If they are to leave, free agents/rookies must be found at those positions. Jordan Taylor and Shaq Barrett should be signed to long-term deals IMO. If Talib is traded/released, Roby needs a long-term deal and a FA Corner needs to be signed along with drafting one. Like ILB, the Corner FA pool looks better than O-Line.

There are a number of good RBs in the draft pool. If Anderson is released/traded, one should be drafted. The TE pool in free agency and the draft is decent. One should be acquired.

If cap savings produce enough to sign an Inside Backer or two, I don't think I'd resign both Todd Davis and Corey Nelson; pick one. The free agent Inside Backer pool looks much better than the O-Line group this year. Sign a FA ILB and draft one if possible.

Denver needs to solve the ball security problems especially at the QB position. Defense needs to maintain good run D and cut way down on the TD passes allowed. O-Line needs to find a starting LG and RT and look into the possibility of moving Connor McGovern to C. At least two Inside Backers need to be acquired one of whom should be a starter.

:2cents:
    You're hired. Wanna job as assistant GM?

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    The way the choices were worded, I opted for minor rebuild because IMO VJ should be on the hot seat especially if Denver signs Kirk Cousins. I doubt if Denver will be able to sign him because I think Washington will Transition Tag him to set his value and then match.

That would put Denver in the position of drafting a QB at #5 and seeing if he can win the job as a rookie. If not, there may be other options.

I think it would be smart to get cap relief by trading or releasing some guys with big contracts even if they don't sign Cousins. That might enable the Broncos to sign some free agents at areas of need.

Unfortunately, the free agent Right Tackles don't look that great. Guard is a little better, but not much, it seems. I think I've seen enough of Donald Stephenson and Menelik Watson to let them pursue football elsewhere. I would re-sign Billy Turner and keep Cyrus Kouandijo and draft a RT and a LG. If a good free agent or two can be signed to reasonable contracts, that would be good.

Talib, Sanders and Anderson have contracts that make them possible trade/release candidates. If they are to leave, free agents/rookies must be found at those positions. Jordan Taylor and Shaq Barrett should be signed to long-term deals IMO. If Talib is traded/released, Roby needs a long-term deal and a FA Corner needs to be signed along with drafting one. Like ILB, the Corner FA pool looks better than O-Line.

There are a number of good RBs in the draft pool. If Anderson is released/traded, one should be drafted. The TE pool in free agency and the draft is decent. One should be acquired.

If cap savings produce enough to sign an Inside Backer or two, I don't think I'd resign both Todd Davis and Corey Nelson; pick one. The free agent Inside Backer pool looks much better than the O-Line group this year. Sign a FA ILB and draft one if possible.

Denver needs to solve the ball security problems especially at the QB position. Defense needs to maintain good run D and cut way down on the TD passes allowed. O-Line needs to find a starting LG and RT and look into the possibility of moving Connor McGovern to C. At least two Inside Backers need to be acquired one of whom should be a starter.

:2cents:

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
    I am between major rebuild and total rebuild, but with an eye on competing in 2019 because I really do not think it takes that long (see Philly).

Focus this off season should be cap cutting and youthful talent and adding good bridge vets to bring along the youngsters. Do not believe drafting a QB to start a rebuild, would prefer a vet like Taylor or Bridgewater to give Kelly/Lynch another development year.

DT, Sanders, Talib, Watson, Marshall, and CJ represent a lot of bad or "aged" cap it just does not make sense to hold on to if we are rebuilding a year. VM is 29 and would speed up the process via trade and clear additional cap.

Lock up guys early. Roby, Ray, Barrett, Paradis, Harris, and Taylor are all young talents I would like to see under contract 4 years past 2018. Maybe get a little discount for early extensions. Regardless if injuries or sub par years, these guys all have decent to good starting talent, no reason to set the rebuild back by losing younger talent.

Sign good locker room vets to fill some holes so the rookies don't need to jump right in and have a mentor. Hard to find these guys but we can do it without high tier contracts.

Still like the idea of a 4-3 over 3-4 base (yes I know we play both now), more to do with personnel we have now and what we look for in the draft. Gotsis could be a good Strong side DE, Walker a natural DE, Ray looks better hand down on the weak side, Harris has 3 tech written all over him, Wolfe can play all over the line, Barrett could be a nice Leo LB,...over all I like our DL pieces more than our LBs, if we did trade Miller and positioned ourselves for getting DE Chubb and Roquan Smith for Will, think we would have a nice set of youthful and talented front seven, add in FA Bradham for MLB...

Getting an OG and RT can be handled in FA or via trade imo, hoping we accomplish this pre draft and then grab a couple OL in round 2 and 3 to give us depth and more talent.

All other picks should be BPA in this scenario. I think this would still be competitive, but adding some skill players in 2019 may be needed. With the defense retooled and the OL fortified, may be easier to recruit FAs to the team.

My 2 cents anyways
    As in, put them in jail. Just kidding. The phrase just gave me a chuckle.

Leave a comment:

• MHSalute
    replied
    I am between major rebuild and total rebuild, but with an eye on competing in 2019 because I really do not think it takes that long (see Philly).

Focus this off season should be cap cutting and youthful talent and adding good bridge vets to bring along the youngsters. Do not believe drafting a QB to start a rebuild, would prefer a vet like Taylor or Bridgewater to give Kelly/Lynch another development year.

DT, Sanders, Talib, Watson, Marshall, and CJ represent a lot of bad or "aged" cap it just does not make sense to hold on to if we are rebuilding a year. VM is 29 and would speed up the process via trade and clear additional cap.

Lock up guys early. Roby, Ray, Barrett, Paradis, Harris, and Taylor are all young talents I would like to see under contract 4 years past 2018. Maybe get a little discount for early extensions. Regardless if injuries or sub par years, these guys all have decent to good starting talent, no reason to set the rebuild back by losing younger talent.

Sign good locker room vets to fill some holes so the rookies don't need to jump right in and have a mentor. Hard to find these guys but we can do it without high tier contracts.

Still like the idea of a 4-3 over 3-4 base (yes I know we play both now), more to do with personnel we have now and what we look for in the draft. Gotsis could be a good Strong side DE, Walker a natural DE, Ray looks better hand down on the weak side, Harris has 3 tech written all over him, Wolfe can play all over the line, Barrett could be a nice Leo LB,...over all I like our DL pieces more than our LBs, if we did trade Miller and positioned ourselves for getting DE Chubb and Roquan Smith for Will, think we would have a nice set of youthful and talented front seven, add in FA Bradham for MLB...

Getting an OG and RT can be handled in FA or via trade imo, hoping we accomplish this pre draft and then grab a couple OL in round 2 and 3 to give us depth and more talent.

All other picks should be BPA in this scenario. I think this would still be competitive, but adding some skill players in 2019 may be needed. With the defense retooled and the OL fortified, may be easier to recruit FAs to the team.

My 2 cents anyways

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Sign Cousins. I believe Elway will make a serious bid for Cousins however the cost may be too high. Keenum would be my next choice followed by Tyrod Taylor.

Cut and/or trade the combination of players necessary to sign Cousins or Keenum. The Broncos were 5-11 this season and 14-18 over the last two seasons without a quality QB. Talib won't elevate the Broncos to playoff contention. The Broncos need to trade, release or restructure contracts to get the right QB.

If the Broncos don't sign Cousins, Keenum or Taylor use the #5 pick for the best quarterback available. Otherwise draft Minkah Fitzpatrick to bolster the secondary with a highly talented player who can make impact his rookie season.

If the Broncos do not sign a veteran QB there should be cap space to bolster the offensive line and improve at linebacker. Sign Josh Kline, Guard from the Titans and Demario Davis, LB from the Jets. If not Davis consider Avery Williamson from the Titans. Williamson is not as good in coverage as Demario Davis, however either would be an upgrade.

At TE the Broncos should consider Trey Burton from the Eagles. Jake Butt has potential however the team lacks quality depth at the the TE position.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X