Can Elway mount a 4th quarter comeback as a GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Elway mount a 4th quarter comeback as a GM

For years, Broncos Country have overlooked John Elway's weak drafting skills because "he is great at free agency." Well, we are a day into free agency and Elway's major objectives have failed. Kirk Cousins is not coming to Denver, despite Elway "going all in" on the QB. He even got rid of Aqib Talib and TJ Ward to free up the cap space for Cousins. This effectively abandons any chance at a championship in 2018.

Rumors abound about other major free agents and where they are going. But I don't hear the Broncos making a big play for anyone we need.

The clock is ticking on Elway's time at the helm. He is down 6 with a minute to go. It is time for a major comeback or Elway might be done.

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    For years, Broncos Country have overlooked John Elway's weak drafting skills because "he is great at free agency." Well, we are a day into free agency and Elway's major objectives have failed. Kirk Cousins is not coming to Denver, despite Elway "going all in" on the QB. He even got rid of Aqib Talib and TJ Ward to free up the cap space for Cousins. This effectively abandons any chance at a championship in 2018.

Rumors abound about other major free agents and where they are going. But I don't hear the Broncos making a big play for anyone we need.

The clock is ticking on Elway's time at the helm. He is down 6 with a minute to go. It is time for a major comeback or Elway might be done.
    FA hasn't even started yet. Elway isn't going to overspend for a player, usually the 1st wave of FA are guys that don't work out, look at Miami moving on from Suh. Everyone just take a deep breath and relax. We have tons of draft capital and cap space. Elway is going to make smart moves, and we've constructed a team that should improve our draft woes.
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Wow, you must own a crystal ball. Cousins isn't coming to Denver and Elway's time is short. Got any lotto numbers? At least you made it sound extra dramatic with the whole comeback thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
        Wow, you must own a crystal ball. Cousins isn't coming to Denver and Elway's time is short. Got any lotto numbers? At least you made it sound extra dramatic with the whole comeback thing.
        Wow, if you start a thread, you might want to leave space for folks to respond before you beat the crap out of them. Unless you don't really want them to respond and just want them to agree with you.

If so, don't start a new thread.
        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
          Wow, if you start a thread, you might want to leave space for folks to respond before you beat the crap out of them. Unless you don't really want them to respond and just want them to agree with you.

If so, don't start a new thread.
          I didn't start the thread. I responded to the one who did.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
            I didn't start the thread. I responded to the one who did.
            My bad and apologies to you. Meant for the OP.
            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Elway's major objective failed? I never really though they were going to be seriously after Cousins to begin with. Never really seemed like a remote possibility. Elway is too smart for that.

Comment

I am not agreeing with the OP, but I think what some of us believe is that, this offseason is a very critical one for Elway. Many of us were mentioning that a few months ago, when we were near season's end. But to date, not much has happened to assess. The big days are coming, and yes, in about 6 weeks we will have a much better barometer, though it still will not tell us the story. We need time for that.

But yes, this is a big offseason for Elway. And he knows it, and he wants nothing but success for this organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                  Elway's major objective failed? I never really though they were going to be seriously after Cousins to begin with. Never really seemed like a remote possibility. Elway is too smart for that.
                  There were numerous reports of the Broncos going hard for Cousins, even some saying they were “all in.” Von Miller went out of his way to sell Cousins on the team. That doesn’t happen if Elway is looking elsewhere. And now Cousins doesn’t even have the Broncos in the final two.

If the Broncos were a few players short of a Super Bowl, Cousins would come here. But we are 10 positions short. In every respect, this has looked bad for Elway.

Comment

TJ Ward hasn't been on this team since last year. He was on the Buccaneers last year. He got gone cause we had a better cheaper replacement and he is a FA now cause the Bucs didn't want him. We haven't even started FA yet. It doesn't start till Wednesday. You have no idea where KC will or won't go, You should really get at least the majority of your facts straight before posting a thread. And by the way who ever said Elways plan was Kirk Cousins to begin with. I hope its not myself.

As for Elways record as a GM, he has brought us the playoffs 5 out of 7 yrs with 2 SB appearances and 1 SB win. I hardly think he is behind. If you offered me a GM tomorrow and gave me those numbers I'd be fine with that.

And the only thing Elway is behind is the big desk in Dove Valley..
                    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

If you can't get everything done on the first day of the tampering period the season is a bust. Also all players who aren't all world in year 1 are busts...

Has anyone actually seen anything where the Broncos have said anything about Elway's status as GM being in jeopardy? I believe he signed a new 5 year contract last August, and I can't see the team eager to part ways with him, with 4+ years remaining. Maybe he decides to leave, but I think he's got at least 1 more year before his job is in jeopardy.

Comment

This thread is dramatic, but the offseason is a big test for our front office.

Comment

TJ Ward is done, and barely started for the Bucs this year. Talib has been on the team the last 2 years while they've missed the playoffs. Those two players aren't the difference between the Broncos being Super Bowl contenders.

Take a step back from the ledge, let everything play out.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                            TJ Ward is done, and barely started for the Bucs this year. Talib has been on the team the last 2 years while they've missed the playoffs. Those two players aren't the difference between the Broncos being Super Bowl contenders.

Take a step back from the ledge, let everything play out.
                            If football had sabermetrics, Aqib Talib would definitely be a very high Wins-Above-Replacement player

Comment

Do we have a Link for where Cousins is going? If not, the OP seems a little silly to me. Or a "troll". He very well may go to Minnesota, Arizona, or New York. But I haven't seen anything saying that he isn't coming to Denver.

And I'd remind the person Posting this that the Broncos were in the Super Bowl 2 short years ago. And if I remember correctly, the Broncos WON that game. With the record that Elway has compiled as GM of the Broncos, the only way he is leaving is either through retirement, or leaving Dove Valley in a pine box as an old man.

Comment

Working...
                              X