Matt Russell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Russell

I realize that Elway takes the blame for personnel decisions... but I don't think there has been enough made of how big of a failure Matt Russell, Director of Player Personnel, is.

He was the Director of College Scouting for 3 years and then moved into his current role overseeing the personnel department 6 years ago.

During his 6 years as a director? Outside of his personal issues, you guys know the history... with this level of failure and SO MANY misses, isn't it amazing that he still has a job? I think it's safe to say that he is one of the WORST personnel directors in the NFL. Don't you wish that you could get 100s of thousands of dollars a year to be terrible at your job? Remarkable.

Year Rnd Player
    2017 1 Garett Bolles
    2017 2 DeMarcus Walker
    2017 3 Carlos Henderson
    2017 3 Brendan Langley
    2017 5 Jake Butt
    2017 5 Isaiah McKenzie
    2017 6 De'Angelo Henderson
    2017 7 Chad Kelly

Year Rnd Player
    2016 1 Paxton Lynch
    2016 2 Adam Gotsis
    2016 3 Justin Simmons
    2016 4 Devontae Booker
    2016 5 Connor McGovern
    2016 6 Andy Janovich
    2016 6 Will Parks
    2016 7 Riley Dixon

Year Rnd Player
    2015 1 Shane Ray
    2015 2 Ty Sambrailo
    2015 3 Jeff Heuerman
    2015 4 Max Garcia
    2015 5 Lorenzo Doss
    2015 6 Darius Kilgo
    2015 7 Trevor Siemian
    2015 7 Taurean Nixon
    2015 7 Josh Furman

Year Rnd Player
    2014 1 Bradley Roby
    2014 2 Cody Latimer
    2014 3 Michael Schofield
    2014 5 Lamin Barrow
    2014 6 Matt Paradis
    2014 7 Corey Nelson

Year Rnd Player
    2013 1 Sylvester Williams
    2013 2 Montee Ball
    2013 3 Kayvon Webster
    2013 5 Quanterus Smith
    2013 5 Tavarres King
    2013 6 Vinston Painter
    2013 7 Zac Dysert

Year Rnd Player
    2012 2 Derek Wolfe
    2012 2 Brock Osweiler
    2012 3 Ronnie Hillman
    2012 4 Omar Bolden
    2012 4 Philip Blake
    2012 5 Malik Jackson
    2012 6 Danny Trevathan

Year Rnd Player
    2011 1 Von Miller
    2011 2 Rahim Moore
    2011 2 Orlando Franklin
    2011 3 Nate Irving
    2011 4 Quinton Carter
    2011 4 Julius Thomas
    2011 6 Mike Mohamed
    2011 7 Virgil Green
    2011 7 Jeremy Beal
    Last edited by Joshua2585; 04-06-2018, 10:21 AM.

Yes he sucks and everybody knows it. Elway definitely needs a new right hand man. He's the reason VJ is our HC, old college teammates.
    "Stand behind our troops or Feel free to stand in front of them!"

Comment

I get loyalty... to a point. However, at the expense of winning? At the expense of your own image and the image of the company/franchise that you run? It's not personal, it's business at that point. It genuinely ticks me off that this guy is bringing down this glorious franchise. I feel like there is no way Pat Bowlen would have let this mediocrity slide if he was healthy. Grrrrrrr!

Comment

In a single Post, Joshua 2585 has crystallized years of my thinking.

MATT RUSSELL HAS TO GO. Like, right now. And it's not just about a job in which Matt Russell has completely failed. Russell should have been Fired back in 2013 for this little episode.

https://www.denverpost.com/2013/07/0...n-dui-charges/

Now compare what Russell did a couple of months after that horrible Draft, to the Players he was responsible for Scouting that we chose in the 2013 Draft.

People go to Prison for things like this. For a long time. And although I don't like to discuss people's personal issues, my thinking is that if you are going to hold Players accountable, then you need to hold Front Office personnel equally accoutable. There is some major league bad "Karma" coming out of the Front Office, and this guy should have been gone, long ago. And we all know that Russell isn't the only guy in the Front Office (Tom Heckert) who has been arrested for a DUI that was at such a level to be described as "Alcoholism". Those guys need to go. This is a Billion dollar franchise, not a place to hang out with your "Drinking Buddies".

Check out those Mug Shots. And I don't find that to be amusing.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/07/1...rest-reported/
        Last edited by gtown53; 04-06-2018, 12:38 PM.

Comment

It is very telling how other teams "stole" coaches and scouts from the Broncos during the successful years, yet no one ever interviewed Matt Russell for a GM or even assistant GM job. I guess he's not highly regarded around the league.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
            It is very telling how other teams "stole" coaches and scouts from the Broncos during the successful years, yet no one ever interviewed Matt Russell for a GM or even assistant GM job. I guess he's not highly regarded around the league.
            I was hoping Heckert and Russell would be "given" to the 49ers along with some of the other guys we gave them.

Comment

Originally posted by munoz1987 View Post
              Yes he sucks and everybody knows it. Elway definitely needs a new right hand man. He's the reason VJ is our HC, old college teammates.
              I am going out on a limb to say Elway did NOT hire a head coach because he was friends with the personnel director back in college.

Comment

Evaluating anyone in the front office is tough because they are quite insulated. I don't disagree with criticisms of Matt Russell; after all, this is the same guy that got so drunk he ran into a cop car. But there is plenty of concern to go around as nothing happens at Dove Valley without John Elway's approval as President of the team. Elway himself too deserves to be under a watchful eye and people are starting to take notice.

Here is an interesting read that discusses Mr. Russell, and others and if you read down through the comments you will see Broncos Country has a lot of opinions on this matter:

http://https://www.milehighreport.co...d-front-office
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                  Evaluating anyone in the front office is tough because they are quite insulated. I don't disagree with criticisms of Matt Russell; after all, this is the same guy that got so drunk he ran into a cop car. But there is plenty of concern to go around as nothing happens at Dove Valley without John Elway's approval as President of the team. Elway himself too deserves to be under a watchful eye and people are starting to take notice.

Here is an interesting read that discusses Mr. Russell, and others and if you read down through the comments you will see Broncos Country has a lot of opinions on this matter:

http://https://www.milehighreport.co...d-front-office
                  I agree but the issue I've always had is who between Elway and Russell is weighted more come draft day? If the answer is Elway then he should be having the heat turned up. If Elway is truly doing what he says they've been doing and following the guidance of their scouting guys then I question why Russell is still here...

Comment

These changes aren't made until May. Because of the unique layout of the NFL calendar all of the coaches contracts end in February, players contracts in March and scouting/personnel people's contracts end in May, once the season ends. That's when teams fire and replace scouts and personnel who have responsibilities with the draft.

Early in the offseason there were reports that the Broncos would be looking to add more people to their scouting departments (it's apparently among the smallest in the league right now) Kubiak was the first hire, but they indicated there would be more. So I think we'll see that next month, and at that point we'll see where Russell fits in going forward.

Comment

Agreed. While it's hard to decide whose to blame certainly enough teams dump their Dr of PP Denver seems to hang onto friends. John has to wake up & understand that friendship is fine, but a job is pretty important too as is legacy. I think you can blame VJ on Matt as you can blame him for OZ & Paxton. IF you are a real friend just because a QB is tall or a friend fo John's son doesn't mean you draft them. And by doing so you hurt your team on players you could have taken in the draft. Do you think Bill B would still be around drafting those 2? John has to sit back & decide who is the smart advisors in the building. I would pick the person who banged the drum for Sloter. I am loving the FA moves & who ever is making those suggestions ie on Keenum & King then listen to them. If we don't get a QB in this draft high at 5 then take the BPA don't reach. Take a flyer on a QB in the 3rd or 4th or even 5th round. I would be fine with Case & Kelly going into the season.
                      Bronco Bob

Comment

If Matt Russell sucks and deserves to be fired, how is the same not true about Elway?
                        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                        You Mad Bro?
                        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                          If Matt Russell sucks and deserves to be fired, how is the same not true about Elway?
                          I do think the same can be applied to Elway.

Since Brian Xanders left after the 2012 draft and Elway officially became the general manager with Russell as his lieutenant, it's been one disastrous draft class after another, with none of them that can be described as a strong class. Malik Jackson, the best player from the Broncos' last good draft, was allowed to leave via free agency. Elway has missed on nearly every offensive player, missed on all wide receivers and left the roster without a viable quarterback. I won't be surprised if the Broncos have the worst 2nd and 3rd-round picks in the NFL for the last 5 years.

To make Elway's situation even worse, he whiffed on the most important decision for the future of the team, the head coach to replace Gary Kubiak. Instead of hiring a great teacher, one of the top coaches in Kyle Shanahan to fix this offense and leave the defense alone, Elway decided to hire Vance Joseph, rookie coordinator of the 30th defense, because he's a "leader of men". The result was no leadership, players doing whatever they wanted, terrible X's & O's on offense, defense and special teams and an embarrassing amount of blowout losses.

Multiple reports stated Elway was ready to fire Vance Joseph, but changed his mind in the final hour. We'll see how long Joseph will last in this job, but I don't expect him to return after this season.

However, bashing Elway is an unpopular opinion because he is the face of the franchise and his ability to get Peyton Manning and some free agents for the defense brought the team a Super Bowl in 2016. It's extremely unpopular to question Elway at this point because the memory of the success of the Peyton Manning era is still very fresh.

This upcoming draft, this upcoming season will probably be the most important in Elway's career as a general manager because, in 2011, he was taking over someone else's mess. Now, he will be under pressure to clean up his own mess and recover from a 5-11 season that was engineered by his moves.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hey Rod , I think we can all agree that while John has done a lot of good things as GM he also had some big whiffs. And this off season he has recently stated that he needs to reach out to more people and get their help and opinions. No one has ever been perfect in the draft , but looking at Bill Bellichik John could have done a lot better. Really since 2012 other than a few role players, the team has had pretty bad drafts. The same one with Jackson ( who really couldn't have been kept) D Wolfe came in same draft. Since then not much. We will see this year if Vance is a good move, but I doubt it Shanahan was a far better choice. Take a look at how far SF has improved and how great a job Lynch is doing with that team. Most will agree John has to get this draft right as you don't often get a chance to draft in the top 5 if you have a really good francise. We should have lost a few more games to get to #3 or #4. As we get closer I am going to rewatch Draft Day with Kevin Cosner and if you get a chance watch the Brady 6 on NFL Nework to see how much of a crap shoot drafting a QB is. Even Kraft & Bill Bellichik were asking who is this Brady kid and should we take a chance on him?
                            Bronco Bob

Comment

We are not the only team that misses on most of their draft picks. I live in Atlanta and two years ago the ownership of the Atlanta Falcons demanded that they have 3 starters from the next draft, so that should tell you something. A minimum of 3 Starters would be considered a successful draft.

Now out of that list, how many years did we have at least 3 starters? I know that last year we only had two if you want to count Isaiah McKenzie. We should have had D'Angelo Henderson out there too ahead of Booker!
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Working...
                              X