Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QB Related Divides In Broncoland

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • QB Related Divides In Broncoland

    I've only been a member here since 2008, and I did not get too "assertive" for a while at that, so I can not acquit myself well when discussing Bronco QB "divides". But I hear the Plummer/Cutler one was pretty strong, and I participated in The Manning / Oz days (in which we ironically won The SB!!)....and have been tucked in the middle of the QB situation since that glorious winning season. It's almost always QBs...other than coaches/coordinators.

    Will this year be another one of those years? I don't think Keenum will be the source of much dissension. Lots of folks did not want us to go after Cousins, and many of the rest of us have swallowed that pill. Yes, I was looking for a higher rated QB, to kick start this team, but Keenum looks fine for now. And yes, if he falters, some will get back on the Cousins train, even though that train left the station. But this will not make for a big divide. The divide, and I am not looking for one, has some potential given the upcoming draft. Many of us want a top 4 QB from this year's draft, many of us do not. I'm on the side that wants loads of non QB talent, with a potential QB selection beyond round one. Sort of covering several bases. I for sure do not want to trade up for a QB! Too much draft capital, not enough non QB talent going into the season, one that will not see that QB unless Keenum goes down or plays horribly.

    And within that QB discussion, a finer debate revolves around which QB folks want. Mayfield seems to be very popular here. But some love Rosen, some Allen, and one for one prefer Darnold. Could this be the bigger divide when all is said and done. For no matter which QB Elway covets, if he does, there will be huge pressure on that player to succeed. Any team that selects a QB early will have pressure. A hit will be great! A miss at that high level, may set you back a few years. Why? First off, you may have missed out on some super talent, and second, it may take you a few years before you realize you have to look elsewhere for a new leader to take over the ship. And some GMs will hang on too long, because they want so badly to be right on that draft pick. Further, you can miss on a non QB, but a miss on a QB is much more of an impacting contributor to team problems.

    Listen...I do not want controversy. I have stated a number of times that I accept what Elway does, even if I do not agree with it. But somehow, someway, we all know the importance of the QB position and how it can haunt you. Even when it's just peronal preference and nothing else.

    But there's a solution....win another ring! Oh wait, Manning (and to some extent Oz) was unpopular for many when we won it all!!

  • #2
    There's no "controversy". Elway has stated many times that Case Keenum IS the starting QB. End of story. If he Drafts a QB, that guy will have to wait for an injury or a collapse before he starts. AND the Cap hit for Keenum is $15 million this year.

    As to the Draft? It's the same as every other year. EVERY QB taken in the Draft, whether it's a Ryan Leaf or a Andrew Luck, is a crapshoot. And this Front Office's history of picking the best talent at QB doesn't give one much confidence that a QB taken in the first 5 Picks is going to be any different. We might get LUCKY, and we might not. We are starting an UDFA QB (Keenum) ahead of a hand-picked 1st Round QB (Lynch) that Elway and the best minds in the Front Office had to move up to get. That tells me everything I need to know about the risk of taking a QB in the Top 5 Picks when it's likely that we won't get a shot at 3 of the 4 first round talents.

    Comment


    • #3
      It seems like a common occurrence around here. Because there was the Orton Tebow split and even the split last year. Seems rare that we don't have a split on this board. The good manning years seemed good and that was pretty much it. We have been spoiled as Bronco fans with Elway and manning that we hold all QBs to that level and if they don't come close we want something new to take their place.




      Adopted Broncos:
      (2011-2013) Eric Decker
      (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
      (2019-Current) Drew Lock
      Adopted posters:
      Everyone

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
        There's no "controversy". Elway has stated many times that Case Keenum IS the starting QB. End of story. If he Drafts a QB, that guy will have to wait for an injury or a collapse before he starts. AND the Cap hit for Keenum is $15 million this year.

        As to the Draft? It's the same as every other year. EVERY QB taken in the Draft, whether it's a Ryan Leaf or a Andrew Luck, is a crapshoot. And this Front Office's history of picking the best talent at QB doesn't give one much confidence that a QB taken in the first 5 Picks is going to be any different. We might get LUCKY, and we might not. We are starting an UDFA QB (Keenum) ahead of a hand-picked 1st Round QB (Lynch) that Elway and the best minds in the Front Office had to move up to get. That tells me everything I need to know about the risk of taking a QB in the Top 5 Picks when it's likely that we won't get a shot at 3 of the 4 first round talents.
        I think you can take another read, because I never said there was a controversy with Keenum. I said...."I don't think Keenum will be the source of much dissension."

        As for the topic in general....I believe it has been a bit of an issue here, maybe since Elway, whereas teams with franchise QBs probably have a lot less of that sort of thing.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
          It seems like a common occurrence around here. Because there was the Orton Tebow split and even the split last year. Seems rare that we don't have a split on this board. The good manning years seemed good and that was pretty much it. We have been spoiled as Bronco fans with Elway and manning that we hold all QBs to that level and if they don't come close we want something new to take their place.
          Yes.....I should have thrown in the Cutler part II, and then The Tebow head scratcher.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
            There's no "controversy". Elway has stated many times that Case Keenum IS the starting QB. End of story. If he Drafts a QB, that guy will have to wait for an injury or a collapse before he starts. AND the Cap hit for Keenum is $15 million this year.

            As to the Draft? It's the same as every other year. EVERY QB taken in the Draft, whether it's a Ryan Leaf or a Andrew Luck, is a crapshoot. And this Front Office's history of picking the best talent at QB doesn't give one much confidence that a QB taken in the first 5 Picks is going to be any different. We might get LUCKY, and we might not. We are starting an UDFA QB (Keenum) ahead of a hand-picked 1st Round QB (Lynch) that Elway and the best minds in the Front Office had to move up to get. That tells me everything I need to know about the risk of taking a QB in the Top 5 Picks when it's likely that we won't get a shot at 3 of the 4 first round talents.
            In the defense of the FO, they've never really been in striking range of a legitimate franchise QB prospect. I don't buy the idea that Paxton was their guy from Day 1, it seemed to be more because they felt they HAD to take a quarterback or else Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian were the future. He was the last of the starter potential quarterbacks left and they thought his physical skills were worth taking a flyer on.

            It seems to be another case of Elway wanting to eat his cake and have it too, but if you want to get a franchise guy, history has told us you usually need to get into the top 10. They weren't willing/able to do what they needed to trade up to get one and decided to settle for a guy who was getting pushed up draft boards because of need not skill. With that in mind, I think that may actually INCREASE the likelihood of drafting a qb because we know that unless we have another disastrous season, the odds of us landing a high enough pick to get a top QB are slim to none. This year is the perfect example, we have the 5th pick in the draft and even then there's a good chance we'd have to trade up a couple spots to get the guy we want.

            Comment


            • #7
              QB divides. Yes another this season Keenum v/s Cousins, December will tell all as the only way they compete against each other is Pre-season and If they both make it to the Big game. But you can bet this will be discussed many times.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by colowoz View Post
                QB divides. Yes another this season Keenum v/s Cousins, December will tell all as the only way they compete against each other is Pre-season and If they both make it to the Big game. But you can bet this will be discussed many times.
                I think it will....mainly in respect of how each is doing. We may in fact be boasting that we got the better player for much cheaper!!

                I made this thread stating the obvious...QBs are the source of loads of debate and disagreement. And though I think Keenum will not be a bad news story this season, I do wonder how the draft will be looked at for years to come, whether or not we draft one....and if we do, which one we take.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rockymtncrush View Post
                  In the defense of the FO, they've never really been in striking range of a legitimate franchise QB prospect. I don't buy the idea that Paxton was their guy from Day 1, it seemed to be more because they felt they HAD to take a quarterback or else Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian were the future. He was the last of the starter potential quarterbacks left and they thought his physical skills were worth taking a flyer on.

                  It seems to be another case of Elway wanting to eat his cake and have it too, but if you want to get a franchise guy, history has told us you usually need to get into the top 10. They weren't willing/able to do what they needed to trade up to get one and decided to settle for a guy who was getting pushed up draft boards because of need not skill. With that in mind, I think that may actually INCREASE the likelihood of drafting a qb because we know that unless we have another disastrous season, the odds of us landing a high enough pick to get a top QB are slim to none. This year is the perfect example, we have the 5th pick in the draft and even then there's a good chance we'd have to trade up a couple spots to get the guy we want.
                  Carr, Rodgers, Brady, Dalton, Flacco, Watson, Cousins, Wilson, etc. were not taken in the top 10
                  "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rockymtncrush View Post
                    In the defense of the FO, they've never really been in striking range of a legitimate franchise QB prospect. I don't buy the idea that Paxton was their guy from Day 1, it seemed to be more because they felt they HAD to take a quarterback or else Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian were the future. He was the last of the starter potential quarterbacks left and they thought his physical skills were worth taking a flyer on.

                    It seems to be another case of Elway wanting to eat his cake and have it too, but if you want to get a franchise guy, history has told us you usually need to get into the top 10. They weren't willing/able to do what they needed to trade up to get one and decided to settle for a guy who was getting pushed up draft boards because of need not skill. With that in mind, I think that may actually INCREASE the likelihood of drafting a qb because we know that unless we have another disastrous season, the odds of us landing a high enough pick to get a top QB are slim to none. This year is the perfect example, we have the 5th pick in the draft and even then there's a good chance we'd have to trade up a couple spots to get the guy we want.
                    I have been highly critical of mistakes Elway and the personnel staff have made over the years. But I cannot accept that the Front Office ever trades up in the first round to draft a QB they don’t feel good about just out of fear their free agency pick won’t work.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Too bad Ingle Martin had to retire.
                      sigpic
                      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I can't wait for the vigorous QB discussions-- don't be a pixie!
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                          I can't wait for the vigorous QB discussions-- don't be a pixie!
                          Yah, here are the many variations:

                          - I told you Cousins was worth every penny!

                          - We shoulda kept Trevor!
                          - We shoulda kept Oz!
                          - We shoulda kept Sloter!

                          - Told you Mayfield was not the right pick!
                          - Told you Rosen was not the right pick!
                          - Told you Allen was not the right pick!
                          - Told you Darnold was not the right pick!

                          - Why on earth did we pick a QB outside the top 4??!!

                          - Why did we keep Lynch?
                          - Why did we keep Kelly?

                          - Why didn't we go after Brees?
                          - Wasn't Brady available for a reasonable price?

                          And this is after game one!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rockymtncrush View Post
                            In the defense of the FO, they've never really been in striking range of a legitimate franchise QB prospect. I don't buy the idea that Paxton was their guy from Day 1, it seemed to be more because they felt they HAD to take a quarterback or else Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian were the future. He was the last of the starter potential quarterbacks left and they thought his physical skills were worth taking a flyer on.

                            It seems to be another case of Elway wanting to eat his cake and have it too, but if you want to get a franchise guy, history has told us you usually need to get into the top 10. They weren't willing/able to do what they needed to trade up to get one and decided to settle for a guy who was getting pushed up draft boards because of need not skill. With that in mind, I think that may actually INCREASE the likelihood of drafting a qb because we know that unless we have another disastrous season, the odds of us landing a high enough pick to get a top QB are slim to none. This year is the perfect example, we have the 5th pick in the draft and even then there's a good chance we'd have to trade up a couple spots to get the guy we want.
                            are any of these QBs even top QBs? The best players in this draft are generally considered to be Barkley, Nelson, and Chubb. None of them even make it into the top 3. MJD thinks Rosen is the #1 player but I think he is the exception, not the rule. The argument that you have to be in the top 5 to get a top QB is fair...but are any of these QBs really worth it? They might be, but it is not definitive and is up for debate.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              QBs drafted in the top 5 to win the Super Bowl in the last 20 years:
                              Peyton
                              Eli
                              Elway
                              Last edited by 58Miller; 04-22-2018, 08:37 PM.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X