The QB situation moving forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The QB situation moving forward

I'm sure all three of our QBs are happy Denver decided to pass on a signal caller in the first round. All of them can breathe a little easier. For Keenum, he won't have to look over his shoulder as he tries to prove he is a franchise QB. Lynch, meanwhile, gets more time to salvage his career, if possible. And Kelly will have a real opportunity to challenge Lynch for the backup spot and prove he belongs in the NFL.

i am glad we did not draft josh allen. i am also happy with the pick. he should improve our defense.

i do think we will still take a QB. it will be a 3rd or 4th round guy a guy like kyle lauletta, mike white or mason rudolph come to mind
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
      i am glad we did not draft josh allen. i am also happy with the pick. he should improve our defense.

i do think we will still take a QB. it will be a 3rd or 4th round guy a guy like kyle lauletta, mike white or mason rudolph come to mind
      If we draft a QB it'll make a crowded space. I think this is the year we don't draft one, simply because we need those picks for something else. Thinking of the day 2 and 3 QB picks, are any of them better than Chad Kelly in terms of potential? If not, it may be better to just stick with the QBs we have now and use those picks for TE, RB, OL, DL, WR, LB, etc.
      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Josh Allen is a guaranteed bust.

I'm not high on Rosen because of injuries, and because his accuracy isn't as great as advertised.

But we also might look back and kick ourselves for not grabbing him. We'll see.

Comment

We just passed on the best chance we will have had to draft a franchise quarterback to sustain us for 10+ years in Rosen.

We did it because Elway feels the pressure to win now. He has one year left. I think if he doesn’t make the playoffs this year, he is gone. And first year QBs rarely win.

This was a decision we will regret. Elway places his career over the interest of the team.

Simple question, how do we ever pick up our franchise QB if not this year? The next time we are 5-11? Because it isn’t Keenum and it won’t be through free agency.

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
            We just passed on the best chance we will have had to draft a franchise quarterback to sustain us for 10+ years in Rosen.

We did it because Elway feels the pressure to win now. He has one year left. I think if he doesn’t make the playoffs this year, he is gone. And first year QBs rarely win.

This was a decision we will regret. Elway places his career over the interest of the team.

Simple question, how do we ever pick up our franchise QB if not this year? The next time we are 5-11? Because it isn’t Keenum and it won’t be through free agency.
            I think Elway will ultimately be fine, because he is in many ways the face of this franchise. I think he's looking at how he already paid Keenum 18$ million to get a performance similar to that in 2017. If that happens, we don't need a rookie QB and can extend Keenum again. If we suck again, well we'll probably be drafting in the top 10 again so we can get a QB then.
            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

So, Josh Rosen is a guaranteed, slam dunk Super Bowl QB and Case Keenum isn't worth beans? What is your method of divination?
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

It was simple enough

draft a maybe player, or draft a sure thing

not complicated, i am quite pleased with the pick
                sigpic

Comment

If we look at Broncos history we have only ever drafted one QB that has ever won in the playoffs for us. If we look at "franchise" QB's we have had two of the best ever, and yet neither had ultimate success carrying the team in their prime, but ultimately won SB's when their bodies were broken, and the team around them stepped up. They were like broken fighters that could not excel throughout a full game, but still had a knockout punch or two left.

Peyton - especially - has shown throughout his career that he could produce dominating regular seasons almost at will, but that winning in the SB and in the playoffs takes a great defense and a versatile offense. Peyton has shown more than most that QB's cannot carry a team to SB victory without elite defenses. The only team that has bucked the trend is the one with Tom Brady at QB, and neither Peyton, Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees.... have been able to. Rosen might become great, but teams relying on dominating offense rarely wins the big one.

The formula Elway used when he chose Von, when the talking heads wanted Marcell Dareus, and the formula that has won us 3 SBs, and without Von/Ware the Brady bunch would have picked us apart in 2015. Chubb can easily be a much better and safer pick than a QB.

Comment

Richard Lagow in the 7th or undrafted, fits Elway’s desire for a tall QB @ 6’ 6”. Was an alpha HS QB in Plano, TX. I think Kubiak would be high on him. From my mock:

Round 7: a.) Joshua Frazier, DT-Alabama or c.) KC McDermott, Left OG-Miami or d.) Cole Madison, Right OT-Washington State or e.) Richard Lagow, QB-Indiana

Undrafted: Kamryn Pettway, RB-Auburn or Richard Lagow, QB-Indiana

Spring Break vet route:

1. Case Keenum free agent (2 yr contract mid upfront & mid incentives)

& Paxton, Kelly or Davis Webb (Mike Sullivan-Phil Simms connection) via a trade involving Kelly away, Lagow

No spread gimmicks or QBs. The Broncos need to commit to a Musgrave West Coast/truck-bruiser RBF style offense that would be optimal with upgrades/depth on O line & an addition of RBF like Ballage or Pettway. Keep Keenum in as long as he 📈. 3 losses or 📉, next man up. Trust the process & trading down (stock pile) for more picks our coaches witnessed first hand at the Senior Bowl are the best options for a 5-11 team with a sophomore head coach. I’m not impressed with the QBs in this draft class despite the hype. I wish I could see any of ‘em being an upgrade over a year 3 Paxton. I think Darnold, Allen, Lamar Jackson and Lagow have “it.” They gone.

Elway & Kubiak have proven they can win with a 🦄 like Peyton & it took that painful SB loss for Elway to learn. I believe they have a 🔥 desire to learn how to draft & develop a long term (10-15 year) answer(s) at QB & revitalize a fading defense.

Paxton > 🐜 Miller beating Kelly & a more talented Ole Miss in 2015:
                    https://youtu.be/Yb1FjaNRgRw

Siemian, Paxton, Kelly Advanced Nerd Analytics:
                    https://youtu.be/EFJ-a5_hD98

Lagow HS:
                    https://youtu.be/s7mQIOsfIEE

Lagow Advanced Nerd Analytics:
                    https://youtu.be/sh8ChfuBsDk

https://youtu.be/sKKkqySCDas
                    Last edited by Devner Bongo; 04-27-2018, 08:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

It's fairly simple

Keenum > Kelly

The DEN management staff are confident those 2 can run the same playbook (Musgrave) at a high level for a few years.

-GB2

Comment

Brian Billick thinks we might go Mason Rudolph. That would be our 2nd round pick, and I do not like it. Is Lauletta a worthy consideration beyond round two?

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          Brian Billick thinks we might go Mason Rudolph. That would be our 2nd round pick, and I do not like it. Is Lauletta a worthy consideration beyond round two?
                          I don't like it either. If we believe Keenum is our starter and that Kelly is the back-up, do we need to draft a 3rd QB at all?

Comment

Originally posted by GMTD View Post
                            I don't like it either. If we believe Keenum is our starter and that Kelly is the back-up, do we need to draft a 3rd QB at all?
                            Probably not. Just don't know enough about Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              Probably not. Just don't know enough about Kelly.
                              That's a really good point. We haven't seen Kelly at all. I never thought of it that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X