No announcement yet.

Rookie expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As cool as it looks, it’s too XFL-ish. With that said, I would definitely put that in my “game room”.
    #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
      As cool as it looks, it’s too XFL-ish. With that said, I would definitely put that in my “game room”.
      Yeah I felt our current uniforms & helmet looked too World League/NFL Europe-ish when we first switched to them but they grew on me quick.

Comment

The official scouting report from NFL.com pretty much kills Lotulelei:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/lowell...e-f7cd99a2205a

Scouts have serious concerns about Lotulelei's love of football and overall work ethic. He was slow and sloppy this season and his quickness suffered badly because of it. Teams looking to draft him will have to be leaning on his 2015 or 2016 tape because he was a reject in 2017. If he doesn't commit himself to the work it takes to be a pro, he will have a hard time sticking around.
        Weaknesses:

.Carries bad weight and doesn't work on it hard enough according to scouts
        .Effort appears to be optional for him on this year's tape
        .Sluggish post-snap movement made him completely ineffective as a pass rusher this year
        "I was high on him before the year started but he was a major disappointment. He knew this was his year to play well and make money but he did nothing to get rid of all that excess weight and his tape wasn't very good." -- AFC Director of College Scouting
        It's disappointing how he went from 33 tackles and 4.0 sacks as a freshman [13 games] to only 16 tackles and 1.5 sack as a senior [13 games]. The 5.40 40-yard dash also was disappointing for a 315-pound lineman.

However, what matters to him is what he will do from now on. As an UDFA, he won't have any room to mess up.

Lotulelei is in a great position to make the team or at least the practice squad. The starting NT is 33 years old and a free agent after the season. Zach Kerr is a low-profile player that will have to compete for a roster spot; free agent after the season. Kyle Peko is another UDFA trying to make the roster. There isn't any NT with a guaranteed roster spot behind Domata Peko.

21.5 tackles for loss and 10.0 sacks in his career, so Lotulelei is a defensive tackle that can push the pocket when playing at a high level.
        sigpic

Comment

Lindsay from Colorado has a shot to be our punt returner and if not I can see him making the practice squad. Probably not as quick as McKenzie but a lot tougher, smarter and more dependable.

Comment

Sutton, Freeman, Yiadom post draft interview

Take some time to hear these guys speak. You can tell the difference right away in the type of players they are from last year's draft. They're confident of themselves and give the impression that they have high characters. Great draft by Elway, look forward to seeing them in practice.

Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Great interviews by all three, things are definitely looking up. :thumb:
              [sigpic

Comment

The best WR out of Penn State in a long time is coming out next year. Keep your eye on Juwan Johnson. He is a beast when it comes to contested balls, a speedster with long strides and a man with glue for hands. He really is an incredible guy. Hamilton got the ink because of his blocking and slot route running, but when the team needed clutch downfield catches it used Johnson and Geseki (sp?) a lot.
                Because of Johnson's body and hands, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the first round next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                  Imo there were no elite WR prospects in this draft.
                  I guess that depends on your subjective definition of "elite". If the past has taught us anything, it's that it takes some time for rookie WRs to get up to speed. Hamilton is likely to get there before Sutton, IMO. But I'm not holding my breath that, notwithstanding injury to Thomas or Sanders, either will be HUGELY productive for a while.

Comment

WOW!

Royce's energy is so extraordinarily grounded.... That is a sign of unshaken confidence and emotional maturity.

All he did was exhale once, 5 seconds before the questions stared and then calmly navigated through all questions with pose, consideration and tact.

Very promising "energy" from Royce.

-GB2

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                      Take some time to hear these guys speak. You can tell the difference right away in the type of players they are from last year's draft. They're confident of themselves and give the impression that they have high characters. Great draft by Elway, look forward to seeing them in practice.

Do you think Peyton is upset with their jersey's?

Thanks for the video, I'll be sure to watch it later!

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                        Do you think Peyton is upset with their jersey's?

Thanks for the video, I'll be sure to watch it later!

Hopefully not since it wasn't really his in Denver to begin with!

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Rookie expectations

There is a lot of discussion about our draft class. I believe judging a draft class immediately after the draft class is designed primarily to keep the NFL fans engaged prior to OTAs. You really don't know how good a draft class is for two years. The first real milestone to judge a draft class is the end of training camp by assessing how many rookies (drafted or not) are #1 on the depth chart and demonstrating a solid understanding of scheme and their positional responsibilities.

That being said, after one year you get a pretty good idea. What do you all really expect from our draft picks this year? What would you consider a reasonable expectation for their performance where you would say they had a good year? Here is what I think is a reasonable over/under on performance based upon draft position:

Bradley Chubb: 16 games. Day 1 starter. 3-down player. 8 sacks, 15 Tackles for loss,

Courtland Sutton: 16 games. Day 1 starting Y receiver. 50 receptions. 600 yards. 5 TDs.

Royce Freeman: 16 games. #2 RB 500 yards. 4 TDs.

Isaiah Yiadom: 16 games. Battle for #1 nickel CB. 25 tackles. 1 INT.

Josey Jewell: 8 games. Third team ILB, special teams. 20 tackles.

DeSean Hamilton: 8 games. Third team WR. Special teams contribution. 8 receptions. 100 yards. 1 TD.

Troy Fumagalli: 12 games. Battle for Second team TE. 10 receptions. 100 yards. 1 TD.

Sam Jones: 2 games. Probably won't dress most games.

Kieshawn Bierria: 4 games. Probably won't dress most games.

David Williams: 2 games. Probably won't dress most games.
                          Last edited by GiddyupGetEm; 05-01-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
                            There is a lot of discussion about our draft class. I believe judging a draft class immediately after the draft class is designed primarily to keep the NFL fans engaged prior to OTAs. You really don't know how good a draft class is for two years. The first real milestone to judge a draft class is the end of training camp by assessing how many rookies (drafted or not) are #1 on the depth chart and demonstrating a solid understanding of scheme and their positional responsibilities.

That being said, after one year you get a pretty good idea. What do you all really expect from our draft picks this year? What would you consider a reasonable expectation for their performance where you would say they had a good year? Here is what I think is a reasonable over/under on performance based upon draft position:

Bradley Chubb: 16 games. Day 1 starter. 3-down player. 8 sacks, 15 Tackles for loss,

Courtland Sutton: 16 games. Day 1 starting Y receiver. 50 receptions. 600 yards. 5 TDs.

Royce Freeman: 16 games. #2 RB 500 yards. 4 TDs.

Isaiah Yiadom: 16 games. Battle for #1 nickel CB. 25 tackles. 1 INT.

Josey Jewell: 8 games. #3 ILB, special teams. 20 tackles.

DeSean Hamilton: 8 games. #3 WR. Special teams contribution. 8 receptions. 100 yards. 1 TD.

Troy Fumagalli: 12 games. Battle for #2 TE. 10 receptions. 100 yards. 1 TD.

Sam Jones: 2 games. Probably won't dress most games.

Kieshawn Bierria: 4 games. Probably won't dress most games.

David Williams: 2 games. Probably won't dress most games.
                            Are we turning Courtland Sutton into a TE?
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I just want to see contribution and impact from the group. To see them push themselves and every postion group they are in.

For example, even if Sutton, Hamilton or even Chubb do not reach those stats it may because the vets in front of them improved their production and reduced the rookies roles.

All the speculation seems reasonable. My only changes would be I think Freeman can be more effective. Would not be surprised to see him closer to 1000 yards and around 8 TDs.

Not technically rookies but because of the red shirt injury year I would include Butt and Kelly in your predictions. Expect impact from both of them. Kelly to compete for the #2 and possibly see the field if Keenum gets injured and Butt to be a much needed TE presence with 40+ catches and some TDs.

Looking forward to seeing which ones surprise and which ones stumble. Never the ones we think.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                                Are we turning Courtland Sutton into a TE?
                                He probably meant Sutton would be the third receiver when the offense plays personnel packages with three receivers.
                                Last edited by Rastic; 05-01-2018, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X