No announcement yet.

Rookie expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do we first get to see (or hear about) the rookies in action? Are there any OTA's or Rookie Minicamps coming up? I'm really excited to hear how they (and the rookies who were injured from last year) are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
      They run between the tackles plenty in the NFL especially if you don't have a solid tackling machine behind your DT's. Jewell will not be covering RB's out of the backfield well but hitting them in the hole he certainly did that in college. I hope that translates to the NFL because we need LB's that tackle RB's in the hole and not chasing guys down 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.
      In this era of zone, zone read and RPO, some teams actually still run Wham, Trap, Dive and inside Counter ... occasionally.
      Last edited by samparnell; 05-02-2018, 10:24 AM.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        In this era of zone, zone readand RPO, some teams actually still run Wham, Trap, Dive and inside Counter ... occasionally.
        Yes they do. Even the RPO teams will likely through these in to keep some teams guessing. I hope we use Janovich this year as he can really help on those plays that can be effective for us.
        Last edited by WYBRONCO; 05-02-2018, 07:27 AM.

Comment

I expect that Freeman will get a lot of playing time this season. I will speculate that the intention is to have him splitting carries with Booker but we'll have to get through TC/preseason before that will be determined. I look forward to seeing what Henderson can bring too.
          I think Jewell will likely compete strong for one of the ILB spots this season but probably won't get the start at the beginning of the season. Davis isn't as bad as most of commenters think, that is why he is back with more money. I will be fun to see how well Jewell does, I like his instincts.
          TE's seem to take at least a year to start contributing to an offense, even if they are 1st/2nd round picks. I expect Fumagalli will get some playing time this season but won't actually contribute significantly this season.
          I expect that neither WRs we drafted will make significant contributions this season barring injury. I do think that Carlos Henderson will be given the opportunity to secure the #3 WR spot, if he fails to perform than I think DaeSean Hamilton will be looked at for the slot. I think rookie WRs will have much bigger roles in 2019 as at least one of DT or Sanders I suspect will no longer be on the team due to salary cap.

Chubb, I expect will compete for the starting job with Ray and I think Ray will rise to the occasion and keep his starting spot for 2018 ... I suspect Chubb will rotate in a lot at OLB and DE. Having Ray, Chubb and Von in at the same time in some packages.

I do think Freeman will have the most impact as a rookie; I hope.
          sigpic

Comment

Here's my optomistic and realistic expectations for year 1:

Chubb ~6 sacks, playing 60-75% of snaps. Pass rush underwhelms at first but he'll be solid against the run

Sutton only has 20 catches or so, he's still a little raw. I can see a year 2 or 3 breakout

Freeman is our bell cow for at least half the year, ends with 700 or so yards

Jewell plays decently and a lot but never more than Todd Davis

Hamilton starts in the slot but shares reps with Sutton and Sunshine. ~40 catches

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
              I expect that Freeman will get a lot of playing time this season. I will speculate that the intention is to have him splitting carries with Booker but we'll have to get through TC/preseason before that will be determined. I look forward to seeing what Henderson can bring too.
              I think Jewell will likely compete strong for one of the ILB spots this season but probably won't get the start at the beginning of the season. Davis isn't as bad as most of commenters think, that is why he is back with more money. I will be fun to see how well Jewell does, I like his instincts.
              TE's seem to take at least a year to start contributing to an offense, even if they are 1st/2nd round picks. I expect Fumagalli will get some playing time this season but won't actually contribute significantly this season.
              I expect that neither WRs we drafted will make significant contributions this season barring injury. I do think that Carlos Henderson will be given the opportunity to secure the #3 WR spot, if he fails to perform than I think DaeSean Hamilton will be looked at for the slot. I think rookie WRs will have much bigger roles in 2019 as at least one of DT or Sanders I suspect will no longer be on the team due to salary cap.

Chubb, I expect will compete for the starting job with Ray and I think Ray will rise to the occasion and keep his starting spot for 2018 ... I suspect Chubb will rotate in a lot at OLB and DE. Having Ray, Chubb and Von in at the same time in some packages.

I do think Freeman will have the most impact as a rookie; I hope.
              Part of me agrees with ALL of this but there is a part of me which thinks that our team wants no part in Carlos after his poor choices off the field. My comments here are not without merit either. Both Elway and Joseph both stated they got a bunch of HIGH CHARACTER guys in this draft. I found those choices of words interesting...and both of them said it.

IMO- Carlos gets cut either due to his inability to pick up a playbook OR the fact that we have two other guys who we drafted and think can do better for us. I see the following WR's on the 53 this year in no real order:

E.Sanders
              D.Thomas
              J.Taylor (Could be thrown on IR)
              C.Sutton
              (1 open spot likely for another ST player)

Comment

lol carlos henderson is not getting cut.
                Chubb is going to start over Ray.
                Holland probably makes the team and has a sack or two
                Sutton will play this year, but deasean will have the bigger impact of the two
                Jewell should get significant play time this year.

Im guessing that the buffs kid and the cfa wr make the practice squad
                So far:
                FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

We need Hamilton and Sutton to be starters at least at the slot WR. Chubb also needs to be a starter. I think Jewell can become a starter over either Marshall and Davis on passing plays.
                  Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                    Part of me agrees with ALL of this but there is a part of me which thinks that our team wants no part in Carlos after his poor choices off the field. My comments here are not without merit either. Both Elway and Joseph both stated they got a bunch of HIGH CHARACTER guys in this draft. I found those choices of words interesting...and both of them said it.

IMO- Carlos gets cut either due to his inability to pick up a playbook OR the fact that we have two other guys who we drafted and think can do better for us. I see the following WR's on the 53 this year in no real order:

E.Sanders
                    D.Thomas
                    J.Taylor (Could be thrown on IR)
                    C.Sutton
                    (1 open spot likely for another ST player)
                    I guess I missed what he has done off the field? I did find a marijuana possession charge in LA, I guess he could get suspended a few games for that. And, yes maybe the Broncos will not want to have him on the team any longer. Reports from media says he is in the mix for competing for the #3 wr spot. I would think that the Broncos don't want to give up on their WRs they drafted last season but if these rookies look good/better than they better part ways.
                    sigpic

Comment

I guess I missed what he has done off the field? I did find a marijuana possession charge in LA, I guess he could get suspended a few games for that. And, yes maybe the Broncos will not want to have him on the team any longer. Reports from media says he is in the mix for competing for the #3 wr spot. I would think that the Broncos don't want to give up on their WRs they drafted last season but if these rookies look good/better than they better part ways.
                      If Cannabis was a huge problem for the Broncos, Von Miller wouldn't be on this team.

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                        If Cannabis was a huge problem for the Broncos, Von Miller wouldn't be on this team.
                        Correct. And he's not the only one.

Comment

i saw an interview from former players that 80% of the nfl does that. they also said which is true it is not hard to clean for one test. 1 time a year when you know exactly when that test is. there is really no excuse to get caught in the nfl .
                          sigpic
                          oakland raders gm
                          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            Don't forget Counter which is set up by running at the T/TE hole.
                            Good call, I thought I had actually included counter initially, but evidently forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                              i saw an interview from former players that 80% of the nfl does that. they also said which is true it is not hard to clean for one test. 1 time a year when you know exactly when that test is. there is really no excuse to get caught in the nfl .
                              Agreed, the NFL tests players from April 20th through until August for illegal drugs. Once training camp rolls around they no longer test for illegal street drugs, only performance enhancing drugs.

Anyone not ready in the drug protocol should be able to be clean for that. After that they can do as they please.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                                jano played a good chunk of special teams

o think we end up carrying 5 rbing backs next season and i don't see jano going any where

i also feel lindsays spot is reliant on him winning the PR or KR spot. other wise he will more then likely be PS.

both our drafted RB has got alot of touchdowns. i think we wanted to emphisize a hammer down by the goal line.
                                Janovitch plays a rather versatile role for us but ultimately his ST role is replaceable. We also saw his role fade (at least by my eye test) last season. So if he is not seeing the field as much and we may well want to carry 3 QBs or even and extra OLB then I can see his spot being lower on the list.

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                                lol carlos henderson is not getting cut.
                                Chubb is going to start over Ray.
                                Holland probably makes the team and has a sack or two
                                Sutton will play this year, but deasean will have the bigger impact of the two
                                Jewell should get significant play time this year.

Im guessing that the buffs kid and the cfa wr make the practice squad
                                Henderson was, according to reports, slow at picking up the playbook. He also got hurt. So unless he's managed to excel and blossom I to a more mature young man then I see it as possible that he gets cut or traded.

Right. And when he had those charges he really should have been rehabbing and getting ready. There were also those reports that he was slow at picking up the playbook last season.

Are you seriously trying to compare Von to Carlos Henderson?

Tolerance levels for generational talents are far higher than they are for rookies who got hurt, struggled and showed poor judgement.

Comment

Working...
                                X