Rookie expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    There is a lot of discussion about our draft class. I believe judging a draft class immediately after the draft class is designed primarily to keep the NFL fans engaged prior to OTAs. You really don't know how good a draft class is for two years. The first real milestone to judge a draft class is the end of training camp by assessing how many rookies (drafted or not) are #1 on the depth chart and demonstrating a solid understanding of scheme and their positional responsibilities.

That being said, after one year you get a pretty good idea. What do you all really expect from our draft picks this year? What would you consider a reasonable expectation for their performance where you would say they had a good year? Here is what I think is a reasonable over/under on performance based upon draft position:

Bradley Chubb: 16 games. Day 1 starter. 3-down player. 8 sacks, 15 Tackles for loss,

Courtland Sutton: 16 games. Day 1 starting Y receiver. 50 receptions. 600 yards. 5 TDs.

Royce Freeman: 16 games. #2 RB 500 yards. 4 TDs.

Isaiah Yiadom: 16 games. Battle for #1 nickel CB. 25 tackles. 1 INT.

Josey Jewell: 8 games. Third team ILB, special teams. 20 tackles.

DeSean Hamilton: 8 games. Third team WR. Special teams contribution. 8 receptions. 100 yards. 1 TD.

Troy Fumagalli: 12 games. Battle for Second team TE. 10 receptions. 100 yards. 1 TD.

Sam Jones: 2 games. Probably won't dress most games.

Kieshawn Bierria: 4 games. Probably won't dress most games.

David Williams: 2 games. Probably won't dress most games.
    I think Hamilton will have A LOT more catches than 8 this year! Case used the slot and TE a lot last year, so he'll be looking for a good receiver in the middle area and if Hamilton can get those 1st downs, he will be a favorite target.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
      There is a lot of discussion about our draft class. I believe judging a draft class immediately after the draft class is designed primarily to keep the NFL fans engaged prior to OTAs. You really don't know how good a draft class is for two years. The first real milestone to judge a draft class is the end of training camp by assessing how many rookies (drafted or not) are #1 on the depth chart and demonstrating a solid understanding of scheme and their positional responsibilities.

That being said, after one year you get a pretty good idea. What do you all really expect from our draft picks this year? What would you consider a reasonable expectation for their performance where you would say they had a good year? Here is what I think is a reasonable over/under on performance based upon draft position:

Bradley Chubb: 16 games. Day 1 starter. 3-down player. 8 sacks, 15 Tackles for loss,

Courtland Sutton: 16 games. Day 1 starting Y receiver. 50 receptions. 600 yards. 5 TDs.

Royce Freeman: 16 games. #2 RB 500 yards. 4 TDs.

Isaiah Yiadom: 16 games. Battle for #1 nickel CB. 25 tackles. 1 INT.

Josey Jewell: 8 games. Third team ILB, special teams. 20 tackles.

DeSean Hamilton: 8 games. Third team WR. Special teams contribution. 8 receptions. 100 yards. 1 TD.

Troy Fumagalli: 12 games. Battle for Second team TE. 10 receptions. 100 yards. 1 TD.

Sam Jones: 2 games. Probably won't dress most games.

Kieshawn Bierria: 4 games. Probably won't dress most games.

David Williams: 2 games. Probably won't dress most games.
      I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Hamilton has a far greater impact that Sutton this year and spends most of his time playing in the slot.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post

Henderson was, according to reports, slow at picking up the playbook. He also got hurt. So unless he's managed to excel and blossom I to a more mature young man then I see it as possible that he gets cut or traded.

t.

I can respect your reasons as to why, they make sense. Carlos though, like many rookie wr had his head spinning. If you heard the interviews he and chad kelly worked a lot on their own after practice. They were really high on him and he was a very very good wr and very productive. He had his hand issue and could not catch a cold. He also was a high (2nd?) pick. They are not going to give up on him because he tore some ligaments up in his hand. His big attribute is tracking down the ball and running like anquan boldin once he does get it.

DT, Sanders, Sutton, Carlos/Ham, Carlos/Ham, Taylor/mckenzie/bell/Nash <----although I think someone poached him from out PS last year.
        So far:
        FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
        1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

rookie jersey number

OLB Bradley Chubb — 55
          WR Courtland Sutton — 14
          RB Royce Freeman — 37
          CB Isaac Yiadom — 41
          LB Josey Jewell — 47
          WR DaeSean Hamilton — 17
          TE Troy Fumagalli — 84
          OL Sam Jones — 70
          LB Keishawn Bierria — 40
          RB David Williams — 36
          RB Phillip Lindsay — 2
          DB Trey Marshall — 3
          WR John Diarse — 9
          OLB Jeff Holland — 46
          OT Leon Johnson — 63
          OL Austin Schlottmann — 71
          DL Lowell Lotulelei — 78
          WR Jimmy Williams — 85

https://predominantlyorange.com/2018...s-draft-picks/

i love chubb being 55. i really don't like freemans 37 or yiadom 41. i kinda hope they get new ones ideallys in the 20ty when cuts are done.

looks like Lindsay marshall and darse are not expected on the roster.
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
            i love chubb being 55. i really don't like freemans 37 or yiadom 41. i kinda hope they get new ones ideallys in the 20ty when cuts are done.

looks like Lindsay marshall and darse are not expected on the roster.
            ?

There were no double-digit numbers left to wear for their positions, they had no option other than take the single digits. I don't think it has anything to do with their chances of making the roster. I remember Eddie Royal wearing #3 during the 2008 training camp.

With #7, #18 and #44 retired, as well as #24 unofficially, some players have to go for the single digits.

UDFAs usually are the last ones to pick numbers, so it's a common thing.

#37 does not look great on Freeman, but it's a product of #24 not being available. A lot of players go for the #20's and only #28 might be available after roster cuts, unless they cut Jamal Carter.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
              ?

There were no double-digit numbers left to wear for their positions, they had no option other than take the single digits. I don't think it has anything to do with their chances of making the roster. I remember Eddie Royal wearing #3 during the 2008 training camp.

With #7, #18 and #44 retired, as well as #24 unofficially, some players have to go for the single digits.

UDFAs usually are the last ones to pick numbers, so it's a common thing.

#37 does not look great on Freeman, but it's a product of #24 not being available. A lot of players go for the #20's and only #28 might be available after roster cuts, unless they cut Jamal Carter.
              or surprise cuts like darrian steward or brandon langley.

but that may be also my potentially unless lindsay can win the returning gig or flashes in the camp or preseason i doubt he will be on the final roster. diarse also looks like a far cut but he may have talent. i feel both of those 2 will be pc material in the end.
              Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 05-10-2018, 06:40 PM.
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm
              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

A good way to figure some of these UDFAs chances at this point, before any inlfuence of practices and games, is by looking at their signing bonuses. That will tell how much the team wanted that UDFA on the roster.

I believe Lindsay received one of the highest bonuses.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X