The Chubb Hype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    He is for as much as he is able now that he's healthy again. Not the over the top "best of all time" hype because that's just absurd and no one should actually take crap like that seriously.

But he's living up to the position he is drafted.

If you judge players based off of hype, you are going to have a lot of disappointment in your sports watching. Most first round picks are very overhyped...It doesn't mean they aren't worth where they were drafted.
    agreed
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      agreed
      Ok, middle ground. Good!

Maybe Chubb doesn't live up to the hype, but he's already playing like you would expect a first round pick to play. That's good enough in my book.

Hype itself is overrated!
      sigpic

Comment

Clowney never lived up to his draft hype.
        Most of his hype came because of one high profile hit in a New Year's Day bowl game. He was a good player, but every time his name was mentioned on tv in leading up to the draft it was that one hit on loop.

Comment

nobody said he didn't have a good season last year. the discussion is...living up to draft hype. tell me you think he is living up to that.
          Draft hype is becoming bigger and bigger each year, to the point where most high picks will have a tough time living up to the hype. The draft is big business and they pump these guys up so much, and then compare them to current NFL players (some of whom had no hype leading to their own draft) and make fans of teams think they're getting that player.

Let me pose a hypothetical to everyone: If Chubb plays 10 seasons for the Broncos as a starter becomes a solid contributor: 8-10 sacks per year and solid against the run, and helps the Broncos D stay near the top of the NFL, but at the same time never makes a Pro Bowl, was he worth the pick?

Many will say "no" because of the business of draft hype, every pick needs to be a superstar immediately. But the reality is if you can spend a pick to get a solid contributor for 10 years, that's absolutely worth the pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            Draft hype is becoming bigger and bigger each year, to the point where most high picks will have a tough time living up to the hype. The draft is big business and they pump these guys up so much, and then compare them to current NFL players (some of whom had no hype leading to their own draft) and make fans of teams think they're getting that player.

Let me pose a hypothetical to everyone: If Chubb plays 10 seasons for the Broncos as a starter becomes a solid contributor: 8-10 sacks per year and solid against the run, and helps the Broncos D stay near the top of the NFL, but at the same time never makes a Pro Bowl, was he worth the pick?

Many will say "no" because of the business of draft hype, every pick needs to be a superstar immediately. But the reality is if you can spend a pick to get a solid contributor for 10 years, that's absolutely worth the pick.

Hindsight is 20-20. I never wanted to Draft Chubb as I wanted see Denver Draft Q.Nelson. So do I think he was over hyped by us fans on this board yes I do. Do I consider him a bust no way I can say that right now I can have answer for you in about 3 years. Now if he is on the lines of Robert Ayers then yes that is considered a Bust however drafting someone as DE and trying to make them an OLB just does not make sense never has never will.

Comment

you have got to be kidding me. started 1 full season out of 5, including already missing 1 game this season and he was called the potentially best draft prospect in history. tell me he lived up to that
              Draft "hype" is rhetorical. It can neither be proven that a player is over-hyped or under-hyped. I can argue that every Pass Rusher is over-hyped because they didn't have as many sacks in his first year as Von Miller. Jadeveon Clowney injured his knee. And now that he is to some degree "recovered", he is living up to the Draft "hype". So yeah, taking into consideration the cartilage injury that completely destabilized Clowney's knee, I'm telling you that Clowney is now living up to his draft hype. And making an argument to the contrary is very simply an exercise in ................. "rhetoric".
              Last edited by gtown53; 09-19-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                Hindsight is 20-20. I never wanted to Draft Chubb as I wanted see Denver Draft Q.Nelson. So do I think he was over hyped by us fans on this board yes I do. Do I consider him a bust no way I can say that right now I can have answer for you in about 3 years. Now if he is on the lines of Robert Ayers then yes that is considered a Bust however drafting someone as DE and trying to make them an OLB just does not make sense never has never will.
                Unless you're Jon Gruden. Then Hindsight is 50/50..

Comment

• Originally posted by ChitownBronco View Post
                  This may be the very first time that has ever been written..
                  Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Hee Hee. Thanks for that line. Truth is always the funniest stuff.

I have another one: During Hard Knocks one of the coordinators/coaches, said to a young player, "This is how we go about building a winner" That also struck me as funny.
                  But, boy, I think they may have struck gold with Mayfield.
                  Last edited by Chop_Block; 09-19-2018, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                    The chess game that is the NFL that coaches play will eventually have Chubb in a spot to beat one on ones to make plays. That is an advantage he has playing with Von. When those opportunities come Chubb will first need to learn from them...grow and evolve into a playmaker....hopefully.

That does not happen in preseason and 2 regular season games imo

I think it is reasonable to expect to see flashes of playmaker ability in 2018 but we may not see the ability that made him a top pick on a regular "take over the game" level until 2019
                    nah, he isnt all pro already. he's a waste of a pick.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by cirehawk View Post
                      Exactly. If Chubb is doing good against the run, helping collapse the middle of the pocket so the QB can't escape (and thus allowing Von to get a sack), then he is doing a great job. Judging his impact solely on sacks is misleading, and the sacks will probably come eventually. That is why I said even though Lindsay appears to be having a bigger impact, it doesn't mean he is a better player.
                      judging strictly on sacks is just plain stupid. especially 2 games into a career.

Von had 0 sacks, 6 tackles his first 2 games, didnt even get his first sack until game 3.. What a bum.
                      sigpic

Comment

That doesn't mean much. He leads all rookies...ok who are those rookies? Davenport? anyone else?
                        It means plenty unless you're the type that can"t be pleased. Sure, he's no all-pro, yet, but the fact that he's outdoing his peers can be seen as nothing less than positive.

Comment

drafting someone as DE and trying to make them an OLB just does not make sense never has never will.
                          It’s been done many times with varying degrees of success.

Demarcus Ware played DE in college and was able to play OLB for the Broncos.

I think he played mostly DE for the Cowboys but even if he played some OLB there, which is likely since Wade Phillips was there for a while, he had to make the transition and did so successfully.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                            It’s been done many times with varying degrees of success.

Demarcus Ware played DE in college and was able to play OLB for the Broncos.

I think he played mostly DE for the Cowboys but even if he played some OLB there, which is likely since Wade Phillips was there for a while, he had to make the transition and did so successfully.
                            Right. Almost every year there's a first round pass rusher getting drafted by some 3-4 team that ends up converting them from a DE into an OLB.

I would call it a common occurrence.

Comment

Actually it makes perfect sense for the Broncos system, because even though they're called "OLBs" they are pretty much defensive ends. The right side "OLB" is a stand up end completely, his job is that of an End, but they call him an OLB. On the left side (Von Miller's position) it's slightly more linebacker like, but essentially it's a stand up end asked to set the edge on run plays.

They'll drop each (Miller and Chubb) into coverage sporadically, but it's so rare that it's nothing more than an exotic blitz/stunt look. Not a real job description. When they go to nickel and dime looks (the majority of the time) they take out an interior player and the "OLB's play completely as defensive ends.

Comment

Drafting Players as a DE's and playing them as CB's is just absurd and Ridiculous.

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                                That would be absurd and ridiculous. We have never and will never do that.
                                I think he's referring to the fact that LBs have to cover while DEs do not.

Comment

Working...
                                X