The Chubb Hype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    And yet, despite making no sense to you, he's played very well in the position. As if it hasn't been a problem putting him in a position where he can see the field on almost every down as long as he can physically handle it.
    Yes, taking a 269 DE you drafted with the 5th overall pick and converting him to linebacker makes no sense to me. Linebackers have to cover too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hph5 View Post
      Yes, taking a 269 DE you drafted with the 5th overall pick and converting him to linebacker makes no sense to me. Linebackers have to cover too.
      As many have pointed out in here, in this league, many teams spend a good amount of time in the nickel. This is where you'll see Chubb spend plenty of time in a more traditional DE look. Yes, he'll spend time in coverage every once in a while. You manage the same way most teams have to manage when their OLB's are in coverage. It's not as if great 3-4 OLB pass defenders grow on trees. His run defense and his potential to be a very solid pass rusher outweigh the couple of times he'll be in coverage. You also take into consideration that if he was playing the DE in our base 3-4, he wouldn't be getting nearly as much playing time. Especially on early downs right now, we are a better defense when he is on the field.

Comment

I think you are too hung up on this linebacker thing.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
          IMO this is a result of all the draft talk where people invest resources in making points of why someone should be picked. When "their guy" was not picked they are just waiting for a reason to say "see I told you so"
          ...or it could just be that some of us still think it was the wrong pick and so far are being proven correct. Chubb doesn't look any better than Shaquil Barrett, so far, who has played on about 25% of the snaps that Chubb has. Many of you say that Chubb has looked really good. I really don't know what you guys are seeing. The "sack" against Seattle? what a joke. That was Wolfe and Stewart getting the pressure. Chubb was just lucky enough to be the 3rd guy in on the play to fall on Wilson after Stewart already had him on the ground.

Someone posted his 16% pressure % (8 out of 49). Harold Landry has a 20% pressure % (4 out of 20) but missed the first game and only has 20 rushes so far. He was taken in the 2nd round. Don't get me wrong, Chubb hasn't looked bad, but he hasn't looked really good either. Sure, he may improve. He also very well may not. He looks pretty average to me and not what you expect to see out of a top pick who was hyped to be a game changer and potential #1 overall. He looks ok against the run, but that isn't what he was drafted for at #5 now is it?

Yes, I know it's only been 2 games, but until he shows it on the field, it is still just potential. I think many of you are stilling hoping for the player that he was hyped up to be and think that is what you are seeing.

Meanwhile Quenton Nelson has been pretty much dominating at his position.

Flame away...........
          sigpic

Comment

• Meanwhile Quenton Nelson has been pretty much dominating at his position.
            Not according to PFF. Chubb has been significantly outperforming him thus far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
              I think you are too hung up on this linebacker thing.
              I doubt he will play in that position much longer. Whatever your opinion of Chubb is, good pick or not, playing the right position or not, the real told you so will go to whoever was right...not who had the last word.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                ...or it could just be that some of us still think it was the wrong pick and so far are being proven correct. Chubb doesn't look any better than Shaquil Barrett, so far, who has played on about 25% of the snaps that Chubb has. Many of you say that Chubb has looked really good. I really don't know what you guys are seeing. The "sack" against Seattle? what a joke. That was Wolfe and Stewart getting the pressure. Chubb was just lucky enough to be the 3rd guy in on the play to fall on Wilson after Stewart already had him on the ground.

Someone posted his 16% pressure % (8 out of 49). Harold Landry has a 20% pressure % (4 out of 20) but missed the first game and only has 20 rushes so far. He was taken in the 2nd round. Don't get me wrong, Chubb hasn't looked bad, but he hasn't looked really good either. Sure, he may improve. He also very well may not. He looks pretty average to me and not what you expect to see out of a top pick who was hyped to be a game changer and potential #1 overall. He looks ok against the run, but that isn't what he was drafted for at #5 now is it?

Yes, I know it's only been 2 games, but until he shows it on the field, it is still just potential. I think many of you are stilling hoping for the player that he was hyped up to be and think that is what you are seeing.

Flame away...........
                The same can be said about Barrett's sack.
                It was Chubb that brought the heat, forcing Wilson into the sack.

Also, we have to take into account that in game one, Chubb was going mostly against Duane Brown, one of the top LTs in the league and that Wilson is one of the smarter QBs.

And in game 2, the Raiders went prettt much with all quick passes that are not conducived to pressures, unless the defense tighten its coverage.

It's way too early to say anything, except to watch the game to see how Chubb handles his tasks.
                And he does look like he belongs.

Comment

you do it because he thrives in the 3-4 at olb. if your talking about a 4-3 OLB then yes i agree. but what makes him special would be highly negated at a 3-4 DE taking they are more like suppost to be full run support and take on the double teams in the run the game. while he is a great edge set at the run game. and top notch pass rusher. both of those fit better in the 3-4 at OLB. the way the OLB is deployed in a 3-4 just means more like he will be blitzing 60-70 of time dropping back against under nether cover and and other stuff maybe 20. alot of the time i bet he is will be a screen cover or spy guy also. so really he will be doing what he is good at just standing up instead of a 3 point stance. plus asked to do more cause he is atheletic enough gifted to do this.
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm
                  latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Flame away...........
                    McGovern has a better grade than Nelson on pff. At any rate, what matters is he's playing his position well for us and for once in a long time our O line is playing very well. Why worry about a G playing for another team when it's not a position of need right now? If you know it's only been two games, why not just wait and see how Chubb plays more snaps until making a stronger opinion?

Last year we didn't have Chubb, and when Von got double teamed you knew the pass rush was gone. This year it seems that Chubb has more of a presence as a rusher, though at the moment Barrett is a better rounded player.
                    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 09-22-2018, 01:08 PM.
                    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
                      Not according to PFF. Chubb has been significantly outperforming him thus far.
                      PFF is almost worthless when graded linemen....
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 18Broncos View Post
                        The same can be said about Barrett's sack.
                        It was Chubb that brought the heat, forcing Wilson into the sack.

Also, we have to take into account that in game one, Chubb was going mostly against Duane Brown, one of the top LTs in the league and that Wilson is one of the smarter QBs.

And in game 2, the Raiders went prettt much with all quick passes that are not conducived to pressures, unless the defense tighten its coverage.

It's way too early to say anything, except to watch the game to see how Chubb handles his tasks.
                        And he does look like he belongs.
                        I looked for a video of that play but couldn't find one.
                        Last edited by broncos SB2010; 09-22-2018, 01:24 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                          McGovern has a better grade than Nelson on 3. pff. At any rate, what matters is he's playing his position well for us and for once in a long time our O line is playing very well. Why worry about a G playing for another team when 2. it's not a position of need right now? If you know it's only been two games, 1. why not just wait and see how Chubb plays more snaps until making a stronger opinion?

Last year we didn't have Chubb, and when Von got double teamed you knew the pass rush was gone. This year it seems that Chubb has more of a presence as a rusher, though at the moment Barrett is a better rounded player.
                          1. OK
                          2. disagree. still a position of need, imo
                          3. no idea why people use PFF grades for Olinemen
                          sigpic

Comment

• You can tell whether or not a player is a bust or is going to have a better career than another player after 2 games.

:lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                            sigpic

Comment

I looked for a video of that play but couldn't find one.
                              I'm rewatching the Seahawks game right now.
                              Just notice Von's sack in the 4th qtr.
                              That was also due to pressure by Chubb beating Brown to the inside forcing Wilson to run backward, giving Von's time to get there to make the play.

Comment

• You can tell whether or not a player is a bust or is going to have a better career than another player after 2 games.
                                Much earlier if you just look at their facial features!

Comment

Working...
                                X