The Chubb Hype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 18Broncos View Post
    The game highlights vid has that play with 9:17 in the fourth, after the TD catch by DT.

https://youtu.be/Nyt_y8YWTzo
    ?... the play happened at the end of the 1st half.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      ?... the play happened at the end of the 1st half.
      Oops, wrong play.

9:54 in this vid. Chubb was actually killing the double team. (He might have been held also).
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02DXYxuaeo8

Comment

Looked up Shaq Barrett. He was graded as #12 3-4 OLB last year. Anyone buying that? and if so...why was Chubb necessary, or even an upgrade, over a top 12 guy?
        It's because over the 3 seasons and 2 games he's played, he's logged 12 sacks. While that's not bad, it's also not a franchise pass rusher. What Barrett contributes well in is defending the run and playing solid in coverage. He isn't the same player as Chubb or Von.
        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

I think more people will start agreeing with my assessment if Chubb continues on the level he is. Everyone is still enamored with his predraft hype and are over evaluating his play. The 2 teams we have played, Raiders and Seahawks are 2 of the worst teams in the league right now. They haven't even played a good team, let alone a good running team. The real tests are week 4 and 6.
          I think Duane Brown was a test for Chubb and he played well getting pressure on Wilson, Kolton Miller is a rookie yet a very talented player.

I think to be fair, we need to remain optimistic and understand that playing the edge I. The NFL against LTs is a serious feat. We just need to relax and give Chubb the time to develop and blossom.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
            It's because over the 3 seasons and 2 games he's played, he's logged 12 sacks. While that's not bad, it's also not a franchise pass rusher. What Barrett contributes well in is defending the run and playing solid in coverage. He isn't the same player as Chubb or Von.
            That is yet to be seen. Barrett's PFF score is 82. Chubb's is 77. Is Barrett playing better than Chubb? I think Chubb's best contribution is run defense, not pass rush like Von, so imo, they aren't the same player either.
            Last edited by broncos SB2010; 09-22-2018, 04:53 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

That is yet to be seen. Barrett's PFF score is 82. Chubb's is 77. Is Barrett playing better than Chubb? I think Chubb's best contribution is run defense, not pass rush like Von, so imo, they aren't the same player either.
              Chandler Jones PFF score: 56
              Cameron Jordan: 68
              Suggs: 60
              Calais Campbell: 71

So what exactly are PFF grades worth?
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Hph5 View Post
                I doubt he will play in that position much longer. Whatever your opinion of Chubb is, good pick or not, playing the right position or not, the real told you so will go to whoever was right...not who had the last word.
                I'm 100% right. Not even a bit of concern. I've seen plenty of de's including ware and dumerville transition to olb just fine to know I'm right here. He's going to be there for a long as we run a 3-4
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Hph5 View Post
                  Yes, taking a 269 DE you drafted with the 5th overall pick and converting him to linebacker makes no sense to me. Linebackers have to cover too.
                  The Broncos play a 3-4 defense. He was either going to have to gain weight or lose weight. Gaining weight would mean using him in a JJ Watt type role as a DE. They obviously thought it was best to go the OLB route and now he’s a starter and playing well so far.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Sure, but we don't know what Chubb is going to be yet. So far there isn't an indicator of him having struggles at the position that you're making it to be. And there's also the fact that he's only played in two games. Von Miller in his first two games didn't log a sack either, I guess that was a draft mistake too since we didn't pick a G in 2011.
                    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 09-22-2018, 09:05 PM.
                    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Sure, but we don't know what Chubb is going to be yet. So far there isn't an indicator of him having struggles at the position that you're making it to be. And there's also the fact that he's only played in two games. Von Miller in his first two games didn't log a sack either, I guess that was a draft mistake too since we didn't pick a G in 2011.
                      I didn't say he was struggling. I said I don't see the great play that many here claim to see. I also never said he would be a bad player. I just think the pass rushing expectations people have for him are way too high. I think he will be in the 6 sack range consistently. That isn't horrible but it isn't the production you expect from a top 5 prospect either. We are still a few years away from seeing who is correct on this so we will have to wait and see.

I posted those PFF grades because that is the metric that most here are using to say Chubb is doing great but as you can see, those grades are all over the place. Some of the best pass rushers in the league are graded pretty low while a backup is graded higher than nearly all of them.

I like how people use the argument that BLANK didn't look great at first either. People have been using that weak argument for a lot of players as an excuse for not living up to expectations at the start...Siemian, Tebow, Os....etc. Few of them have shown it. Von Miller had a much better college resume than Chubb did and is much more athletically gifted. Do you really think Chubb is/will be on the same level as Miller is/was?

Try to get over the "didn't pick an OG" routine. OG prospects like Nelson are few and far between. It's not like I wanted them to draft any ordinary draft prospect OG at #5. The Colts said they very well might have still selected Nelson even if Chubb was still on the board at 6 so it isn't like I'm the only who thinks Nelson was the better prospect. The Browns took Ward when most of the football world thought they should take Chubb. They didn't have Chubb rated as high as most either and look at them now...one of the best defenses in the league over the first 3 games including games against Steelers and Saints with Taylor at QB.
                      Last edited by broncos SB2010; 09-22-2018, 09:56 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I didn't say he was struggling. I said I don't see the great play that many here claim to see. I also never said he would be a bad player. I just think the pass rushing expectations people have for him are way too high. I think he will be in the 6 sack range consistently. That isn't horrible but it isn't the production you expect from a top 5 prospect either. We are still a few years away from seeing who is correct on this so we will have to wait and see.

I posted those PFF grades because that is the metric that most here are using to say Chubb is doing great but as you can see, those grades are all over the place. Some of the best pass rushers in the league are graded pretty low while a backup is graded higher than nearly all of them.

I like how people use the argument that BLANK didn't look great at first either. People have been using that weak argument for a lot of players as an excuse for not living up to expectations at the start...Siemian, Tebow, Os....etc. Few of them have shown it. Von Miller had a much better college resume than Chubb did and is much more athletically gifted. Do you really think Chubb is/will be on the same level as Miller is/was?

Try to get over the "didn't pick an OG" routine. OG prospects like Nelson are few and far between. It's not like I wanted them to draft any ordinary draft prospect OG at #5. The Colts said they very well might have still selected Nelson even if Chubb was still on the board at 6 so it isn't like I'm the only who thinks Nelson was the better prospect. The Browns took Ward when most of the football world thought they should take Chubb. They didn't have Chubb rated as high as most either and look at them now...one of the best defenses in the league over the first 3 games including games against Steelers and Saints with Taylor at QB.
                        I'm not hung up not picking Quenton Nelson like you are, you've made it pretty clear that Chubb isn't worth the top 5 pick, when really Nelson hasn't proven to be a top 5 pick either. I've never stated once that Chubb is an amazing player, or even above average. What I've said instead several times already is that I think Chubb needs more time than 2 games to decide what kind of player he is, whereas you already know he's a 6 sack guy. What data did you collect that from? I'm curious how you already know that Nelson is a once in a lifetime player too, after two games.

You reference that the Colts thought that Nelson was a better prospect than Chubb. Yet Elway made it very clear he wouldn't trade down because Chubb was still available. Does that mean that Chris Ballard is a better GM than Elway now? Elway has stated multiple times, that the keys to a good team are QB, Pass rusher, LT, and CB. It should be zero surprise that we picked the guy we did. Take a look at this article, written by the Colts media - overall Nelson has proven solid but otherwise average and mentioned at the end that he was still working on improving a few things. Not bad, but not the value of a 5th overall pick either.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/9/...-pass-blocking

Lot of players have better college resumes, what matters more is the scheme and fit for the team they are drafted for. Take for example Lindsay is outperforming Barkley, yet who had the better college resume?

Honestly at this point what is there to do, but actually root for your own players now? We drafted Chubb, not Nelson.
                        Last edited by TheAsianPA; 09-22-2018, 10:18 PM.
                        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

I'm not hung up not picking Quenton Nelson like you are, you've made it pretty clear that Chubb isn't worth the top 5 pick, when really Nelson hasn't proven to be a top 5 pick either. I've never stated once that Chubb is an amazing player, or even above average. What I've said instead several times already is that I think Chubb needs more time than 2 games to decide what kind of player he is, whereas you already know he's a 6 sack guy. What data did you collect that from? I'm curious how you already know that Nelson is a once in a lifetime player too, after two games.

You reference that the Colts thought that Nelson was a better prospect than Chubb. Yet Elway made it very clear he wouldn't trade down because Chubb was still available. Does that mean that Chris Ballard is a better GM than Elway now? Elway has stated multiple times, that the keys to a good team are QB, Pass rusher, LT, and CB. It should be zero surprise that we picked the guy we did. Take a look at this article, written by the Colts media - overall Nelson has proven solid but otherwise average and mentioned at the end that he was still working on improving a few things. Not bad, but not the value of a 5th overall pick either.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/9/...-pass-blocking

Lot of players have better college resumes, what matters more is the scheme and fit for the team they are drafted for. Take for example Lindsay is outperforming Barkley, yet who had the better college resume?

Honestly at this point what is there to do, but actually root for your own players now? We drafted Chubb, not Nelson.
                          That isn't my take from the article. Here is what it actually said:

1. Nelson was having none of it. As you can see here, Hood is not in the same class as other linemen the Colts have seen this year and Nelson makes mirroring and anchoring against him look easy.

2. Nelson reacts and shuts the move down. If Luck sees this in front of him regularly throughout the year, football fans are in for a treat.

3. Even here, while he certainly has his hands full with the outside move and gives up his outside shoulder, the real issue is that Le’Raven Clark is driven directly back.

4. Still, the clips we did grab show that [B]he is working on his ability to win versus lateral agility and continues to outclass his opponents consistently.[/B]
                          Last edited by broncos SB2010; 09-23-2018, 05:04 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Chubb with an early sack.
                            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                              Chubb with an early sack.
                              He also had a pressure on the last drive to force a bad throw by Flacco.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                                He also had a pressure on the last drive to force a bad throw by Flacco.
                                We definitely should have drafted someone else.
                                :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X