The Chubb Hype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
    Is this why edge rushers historically dominate the first picks of the draft compared to guards? Because they're "much easier to find"?

And Nelson is the "dominant" guard, but Chubb, with 8.0 sacks and with a chance to reach Jevon Kearse's record, is just "good"?
    How convenient.
    :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
    sigpic

Comment

Is this why edge rushers historically dominate the first picks of the draft compared to guards? Because they're "much easier to find"?

And Nelson is the "dominant" guard, but Chubb, with 8.0 sacks and with a chance to reach Jevon Kearse's record, is just "good"?
      I don't see Chubb as a dominating player. Maybe you do. How good was Javon kearse? a few good years to start then was pretty average. Historic draft trends are changing. OG are becoming much more important than they were even 20 years ago. Interior protection is about equal to outside pressure now when it used to be the LT was the premier player. That isn't the case anymore, at least not like it used to be.
      Last edited by broncos SB2010; 11-12-2018, 08:00 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
        I don't see Chubb as a dominating player. Maybe you do. How good was Javon kearse? a few good years to start then was pretty average. Historic draft trends are changing. OG are becoming much more important than they were even 20 years ago. Interior protection is about equal to outside pressure now when it used to be the LT was the premier player. That isn't the case anymore, at least not like it used to be.
        As high as I was on both players...I will admit, I was much higher on Nelson, but only due to the fact I didn't think Chubb was in play for us at 5...both are going to be great players. I understand your argument SB2010, but I think Rod brought up a great point earlier....I don't think Elway had plans to draft Nelson unless he fell to us after the Bills trade....and obviously, he wouldn't have. I know it can be argued that we might not have made that Bills trade down for two firsts....but if we would have, we wouldn't have had Nelson or Chubb on our team. I get it, you like Nelson above Chubb...and I kinda do too. Guards have more longevity and are cheaper in the long haul, and Nelson might end up being a perennial All Pro Guard, while Chubb might only end up being a biennial Pro Bowl edge rusher. But I would rather have had us draft Chubb than make the trade down and miss out on both of them.
        New England Patriots GM

Comment

Edge rushers historically dominate the first pick because it’s the sexy pick. It’s prob the most important position on defense. Every team needs to find their Miller. We have one with a couple already decent rushers. However, things are starting to change in our league. You’re starting to see the value of oline skyrocketing. Everyone is in desperate need of a LT/RT/ or G now and you can see that is in FA market these past couple years. It cost a fortune for just okay Olinemen.

I think sack number is a very overrated stat. How many of those were impact plays? How many came in a moment when we truly needed it? How many of those come in garbage times? How many of those did the QB just run to you? When I look at Chubb I see a guy that has talent and will be a bigger impact player if we ever switch to a 4-3. Never thought a 3-4 olb was a role meant for him. He’s doing well at it but still think he’d do better at a 4-3 end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
            As high as I was on both players...I will admit, I was much higher on Nelson, but only due to the fact I didn't think Chubb was in play for us at 5...both are going to be great players. I understand your argument SB2010, but I think Rod brought up a great point earlier....I don't think Elway had plans to draft Nelson unless he fell to us after the Bills trade....and obviously, he wouldn't have. I know it can be argued that we might not have made that Bills trade down for two firsts....but if we would have, we wouldn't have had Nelson or Chubb on our team. I get it, you like Nelson above Chubb...and I kinda do too. Guards have more longevity and are cheaper in the long haul, and Nelson might end up being a perennial All Pro Guard, while Chubb might only end up being a biennial Pro Bowl edge rusher. But I would rather have had us draft Chubb than make the trade down and miss out on both of them.
            It's not so much that I like Nelson over Chubb. It's the fact that they continually ignore the Oline besides over the hill FA, late round draft picks or obvious bad picks such as Sambrailo and Bolles. I just don't understand that mentality when the Oline is so bad.
            Last edited by broncos SB2010; 11-13-2018, 04:30 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

It's not so much that I like Nelson over Chubb. It's the fact that they continually ignore the Oline besides over the hill FA, late round draft picks or obvious bad picks such as Sambrailo and Bolles. I just don't understand that mentality when the Oline is so bad.
              Well the rumor that we had intended to trade down and not take Nelson at 5th(in a scenario where Chubb was already drafted) should pay more testament about your point about us not prioritizing and drafting quality OL. I'm sure you and I agree that if Chubb was drafted already, it was in our best interest to draft Nelson OVER trading down. But then again, we both were/are high on Nelson. However, no matter...both are great building blocks for the Broncos and I am still happy with Chubb. I honestly think we need to go after OT early in draft next year. Bolles IS NOT a LT in the NFL.
              New England Patriots GM

Comment

Well the rumor that we had intended to trade down and not take Nelson at 5th(in a scenario where Chubb was already drafted) should pay more testament about your point about us not prioritizing and drafting quality OL. I'm sure you and I agree that if Chubb was drafted already, it was in our best interest to draft Nelson OVER trading down. But then again, we both were/are high on Nelson. However, no matter...both are great building blocks for the Broncos and I am still happy with Chubb. I honestly think we need to go after OT early in draft next year. Bolles IS NOT a LT in the NFL.
                If they had traded down, they may have taken McGlinchey, which I would have been ok with too. We are going to get a rookie QB soon. Maybe next offseason, maybe the next. When are they going to do something in order to improve the Oline to protect him? When you have a young QB, you need an Oline that can protect him. This year, the Browns and Bills have given up the most sacks. Both have rookie QBs.
                sigpic

Comment

If they had traded down, they may have taken McGlinchey, which I would have been ok with too. We are going to get a rookie QB soon. Maybe next offseason, maybe the next. When are they going to do something in order to improve the Oline to protect him? When you have a young QB, you need an Oline that can protect him. This year, the Browns and Bills have given up the most sacks. Both have rookie QBs.
                  I am going to be in minority with this....but I think we should work on OL this draft class and wait to draft our QB of the future till 2020 draft....that draft class is loaded with QB talent...or at least should be. For the exact reason you mentioned above. I would like our QB to walk into a pretty good OL. Rather than drafting a QB and watching them get sacked entire season.
                  New England Patriots GM

Comment

I am going to be in minority with this....but I think we should work on OL this draft class and wait to draft our QB of the future till 2020 draft....that draft class is loaded with QB talent...or at least should be. For the exact reason you mentioned above. I would like our QB to walk into a pretty good OL. Rather than drafting a QB and watching them get sacked entire season.
                    I agree. This draft class looks pretty weak at QB. There also doesn't seem to be any elite Oline talent like this past draft but there are some solid options. Cody Ford and Chris Lindstrom look like they might be the best of the group right now.
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree. This draft class looks pretty weak at QB. There also doesn't seem to be any elite Oline talent like this past draft but there are some solid options. Cody Ford and Chris Lindstrom look like they might be the best of the group right now.
                      You dont like Jonah from Bama or Little from Ole Miss?

Comment

• Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                        You dont like Jonah from Bama or Little from Ole Miss?
                        Nope, not as top draft picks. Jonah Williams is on the small side for an OT and Little is going to be way over drafted if he goes high. I think 2nd round would be ok for them at this point. It's very possible neither of them come out.
                        Last edited by broncos SB2010; 11-13-2018, 05:36 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• I think it's worth looking at a QB in the 3rd or 4th. Spend the first couple rounds addressing O line and CB. We've got Case Keenum for another year. Go for broke and get a QB in 2020.

Comment

I was high on Nelson and wanted to take him at #5. I'm not disappointed at the Chubb pick though. I think he was worth it, so I'm pleased.
                            Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

• I like Chubb. Glad we drafted him.

Our passing game issues ties directly to our pass protection. We need to get serious about fixing it as just one player will not fix the issues.

The sooner we start acquiring players good at pass protection the sooner we can start getting serious about our ability to evaluate our next franchise qb as right now we are asking our QBs to perform the impossible and have been for years
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                                I was high on Nelson and wanted to take him at #5. I'm not disappointed at the Chubb pick though. I think he was worth it, so I'm pleased.
                                It's hard to argue with the Chubb pick EXCEPT we needed a QB of the future and we had a prime draft spot in the richest QB draft in years. I like Chubb, but I am very perturbed we didn't go for a QB. I think Chubb is going to be great but even if he plays for a long time at a high level, nothing is going to happen for this team until we get a QB capable of taking us through the playoffs. Just look at reality. In our division for the next 5 years, do you see us smelling the playoffs. It would take an extraordinary happenstance to get us into the playoffs as long as Rivers, Mahomes and Carr are playing (assuming Carr returns to form, but that might not be the case). After 5 more years of futility all of us will forget that we drafted a great edge rusher.

Comment

Working...
                                X