Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chubb was a monster last week.
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
      Baphamet said the same thing about Rivers last week and we sacked him 3 times.

We may not get many but I’d be surprised if we get shutout in that department.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Chop_Block View Post
        I really like Chubb but I would have been much happier had we drafted Rosen instead of Chubb. In my opinion, Elway blew the draft last year and this year by not getting a QB. Oh well, that's OK. Keenum is OK and his Orton qualities will keep us competitive if the coaching doesn't sink him.
        Rosen sucks. See nothing special about him.
        Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

• Chubb was the right pick in my opinion. Rosen, Allen, Darnold, and to an extent Mayfield are going to take more than their rookie season to take the next step. None have come out the gates like Watson has, while Chubb will probably continue to improve every year he plays next to Von Miller.

If we're going to talk about selecting a QB, in my mind I see 2020 the right time to do it. Trade up whatever it takes to get Tua, but stick with Keenum until then.
          Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
            Chubb was the right pick in my opinion. Rosen, Allen, Darnold, and to an extent Mayfield are going to take more than their rookie season to take the next step. None have come out the gates like Watson has, while Chubb will probably continue to improve every year he plays next to Von Miller.

If we're going to talk about selecting a QB, in my mind I see 2020 the right time to do it. Trade up whatever it takes to get Tua, but stick with Keenum until then.
            When has this wait until next year for X quarterback ever worked? Who says Tua will even be any good? Remember the 1st overall hype of Hackenberg and Barkley? Two sure-fire, can't miss QBs...

I'm really not all that impressed with Tua.

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
              Baphamet said the same thing about Rivers last week and we sacked him 3 times.

We may not get many but I’d be surprised if we get shutout in that department.
              Pittsburgh ranks #3 in fewest sacks allowed per game at 1.4 (Chargers #4). Looking forward to seeing if Chubb and Von can get to Ben.

Comment

• Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                When has this wait until next year for X quarterback ever worked? Who says Tua will even be any good? Remember the 1st overall hype of Hackenberg and Barkley? Two sure-fire, can't miss QBs...

You don't want to trade up or select someone that you don't want either. If Tua doesn't impress you, then none of the QBs coming out next year should either.
                Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                  Chubb was the right pick in my opinion. Rosen, Allen, Darnold, and to an extent Mayfield are going to take more than their rookie season to take the next step. None have come out the gates like Watson has, while Chubb will probably continue to improve every year he plays next to Von Miller.

Based on need at the time of the Draft many were thinking that our 1st Round pick would either be Nelson or Denzel Ward. We decided to go instead for the best player available in Chubb and it seems to have worked.

In any event, we were never going to go for a QB after we signed Keenum in FA.

Comment

• Originally posted by GMTD View Post
                    Based on need at the time of the Draft many were thinking that our 1st Round pick would either be Nelson or Denzel Ward. We decided to go instead for the best player available in Chubb and it seems to have worked.

In any event, we were never going to go for a QB after we signed Keenum in FA.
                    In some people's opinions. I still think Nelson was/is the better player . I know I'm in the minority there.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Chop_Block View Post
                      I really like Chubb but I would have been much happier had we drafted Rosen instead of Chubb. In my opinion, Elway blew the draft last year and this year by not getting a QB. Oh well, that's OK. Keenum is OK and his Orton qualities will keep us competitive if the coaching doesn't sink him.
                      This year Elway made the right pick. We got a first overall pick caliber player fifth in the draft and I think that has worked out great for us considering the impact that Chubb has made. Him and Miller have the potential to be one of the best duos in the league for quite some time, and when you build a strong defense that can take a lot of pressure off your offense. We already have got some pieces to the puzzle on the offense side of things, so all Elway needs to do is be patient and make the right moves and this team will be set up for long term success. I wouldn't have taken Rosen or Allen over Chubb, and had Elway made that pick, I think that would have suggested that he panicked and reached for a quarterback for the sake of drafting a quarterback. As far as I'm concerned the right pick was made in 2018.

Can the same be said about 2017? I'd say no based on how Bolles has performed, but one thing is for certain we were not in a position to draft Mahomes or Watson. I suspect the price to have traded up into the top ten would have been very expensive and we would have potentially been criticizing Elway for trading away the team's future.

As far as I'm concerned the worst thing a team can do is force themselves into picking a quarterback. Obviously it is a very important position and needs to be fixed long term, but having a strong foundation and supporting cast is also very important and if the team is patient and builds up that structure, then slotting a new quarterback in should make for an easier transition for the player.

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post

The problem with the wait and see approach is that sometimes prospects don't declare when they are expected to. For example, Andrew Luck decided to stay in college for another year. Had Cam Newton taken the same approach, the Carolina Panthers would have been in dire straits because there was no other quarterback to solve their quarterback position, and their recent history would not have looked the same. So we could plan for 2020 and end up finding the top prospects stay another year, or we could plan for 2020 and end up playing ourselves out of a high enough selection to pick one of those stud QB prospects. And that's before considering that sometimes prospects don't always live up to the hype.

Now you do say trade up whatever it takes, but that approach is not always possible because sometimes the teams with those selections require quarterbacks themselves, and even when they don't the price for trading up can be significant (i.e. multiple first round picks and more). With the success that quarterbacks like Mahomes and Watson are having, it could make the price to trade up for stud quarterback prospects eye watering. Now perhaps it will be worth the price to get one of them, but considering this team needs to continue to build a strong supporting cast, then giving up too much could be counter productive.

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post

Agreed, quarterbacks can receive a ton of hype and ultimately not live up to that hype. It is one reason why I would declare for the draft if I was in Justin Herbert's position. If he comes out in 2019 he should be a high draft pick. If he waits a year his draft stock could be hit if he under performs or get hurts (etc). It happened to Matt Barkley and he was a highly regarded prospect. He might have even been the third quarterback off the board after Luck and RGIII had he declared for that class.

With that said, I can understand why some might prefer to wait until another draft class to draft a quarterback. There's no point in forcing the selection if there isn't a prospect available that ticks all the boxes. The last thing a team needs to do is tie themselves to a prospect for 'x' amount of years because they've used a top ten pick on them. For example, the Bills paid a pretty penny for Josh Allen. Time will tell whether that was a smart move or not, but they need to give him a number of seasons to developed and see if he can become their guy. Their GM is unlikely to go out and draft a quarterback high in 2019 if Allen continues to struggle. So the same would go for us if Elway picked someone in 2019 in the first round. The team would need to be patient with that quarterback for a number of seasons and if we force ourselves into one of this class, it is very unlikely we would consider anyone in 2020 even if we did end up with a top pick. So the team needs to evaluate carefully and not force the pick.

Comment

• Chubb is starting to come into his own. He looks dominant at times. Imagine what him and Von could do with a real DC calling plays, not Joe Woods. Great pick by Elway, can't wait for the future with this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
                          Chubb is starting to come into his own. He looks dominant at times. Imagine what him and Von could do with a real DC calling plays, not Joe Woods. Great pick by Elway, can't wait for the future with this one.
                          Like a real DC that the Rams took from us, am I right? I mean look what his team is doing. They're giving up the 21st least amount of yards per game. They're 23rd in points per game. All the while, their offense being in the top 10 in Time of Possession (Ours is 30th by the way). That can't be the same coach that was the DC of the 1st ranked D in those categories a few years earlier. He must have forgot how to coach. Or, sometimes the players matter...

Comment

• Chubb now at 10 sacks... Rookie record is 14, held by J-Keerse.

Comment

• Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                              Chubb now at 10 sacks... Rookie record is 14, held by J-Keerse.
                              I think the record is 14.5 by Jevon Kearse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                                I think the record is 14.5 by Jevon Kearse.
                                Only 1.5 more sacks to top Von Miller’s first year.
                                2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

Comment

Working...
                                X