The Chubb Hype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
    Exactly, Another clear example. Our 2nd-round pick from last year, who showed plenty of inside pass rush this preseason, remains inactive because he does not fit Vance Joseph's defense. Walker is a bust because of the head coach.
    This makes me sad.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Chubb was a defensive end who is being asked to play linebacker and does not have a full-time coach to work on his pass rush. I don't think I've ever seen something like this. He is coached by Reggie Herring, who teaches off-ball linebackers, and then receives part-time coaching [a.k.a. tips] from Ware. If Chubb were coached by Bill Kollar and utilized as an edge player with his hand on the ground, I believe his impact would be far greater.

There is no need to disguise who is the 4th rusher. Line up with 4 rushers on passing downs and make the other 7 defenders play coverage. Vance Joseph puts scheme above players. That's also evident in the secondary, where our press corners that excelled with Wade Phillips are now asked to play off-man to satisfy Joseph's cute zone concepts filled with miscommunication. Vance Joseph himself said today at the press conference that what we are seeing is his style of defense.

We drafted an edge rusher 5th overall and turned him into a linebacker without a full-time position coach for what he really needs to do. This front office really needs to stop drinking so much because it all starts with them.
      Sadly, it is becoming obvious that everything you are saying here is correct. And don't I remember a change in regards to coaching Demarcus Walker after they wouldn't let him on the field last year? Didn't they admit the mistake of trying to make Walker an OLB when he is a Defensive End/Pass Rusher, and switched him to working with Kollar this last off-season? And yet, the Broncos appear to be making the exact same mistake, with Chubb. How in the world can that be?

Comment

Chubb was a defensive end who is being asked to play linebacker and does not have a full-time coach to work on his pass rush. I don't think I've ever seen something like this. He is coached by Reggie Herring, who teaches off-ball linebackers, and then receives part-time coaching [a.k.a. tips] from Ware. If Chubb were coached by Bill Kollar and utilized as an edge player with his hand on the ground, I believe his impact would be far greater.

There is no need to disguise who is the 4th rusher. Line up with 4 rushers on passing downs and make the other 7 defenders play coverage. Vance Joseph puts scheme above players. That's also evident in the secondary, where our press corners that excelled with Wade Phillips are now asked to play off-man to satisfy Joseph's cute zone concepts filled with miscommunication. Vance Joseph himself said today at the press conference that what we are seeing is his style of defense.

We drafted an edge rusher 5th overall and turned him into a linebacker without a full-time position coach for what he really needs to do. This front office really needs to stop drinking so much because it all starts with them.
        VJ admitted the mistake with giving the receivers too much cushion. He said: “It falls on me. He held the ball twice and we got two sacks. At halftime he was 18 for 19 and it was really quick passes. That falls back on the corners, we have to press the receivers because if he holds the ball we know we can get pressure. If it comes out quick and we’re seven, eight yards off, it’s going to be a completed ball (the receiver) is going to fall for five or six (yards). Our corners have to play with great confidence all the time with press coverage. With our pass rush, as a corner, you should have confidence … that our pressure we’ll get there ... And it starts with me as far as how we call a defense and being aggressive.’’

I thought we only had one sack. It remains to be seen if the coaches will change how they’re using Chubb. At least VJ recognizes the issue with not allowing the secondary to press, but it would have been better to adjust during the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by swinginhorseman View Post
          No. He looked great last week. However I didnt notice him today. The passes were out of carrs hands quick.
          This is an indication, although subtle, that Chubb as an addition to the Bronco's defense has impacted the way opposing coaches scheme to play against Denver. A lot has been said about Carr's efficiency in the game due to his lack of incomplete passes, and you touched on why it was. Carr delivered the ball quick. Not a bad game plan against a overwhelming pass rush. That game plan almost worked. Honestly, it should have worked if not for lucky breaks for the Denver Broncos (dropped pass on 4th down and Gruden electing to go for it when his team is in field goal range).

I'm not worried about Chubb.

I am worried about everyone in the secondary not named Chris Harris.

I understand why some would be underwhelmed with Chubb because we have seen one of the greatest pass rushers dominate games in a Denver Bronco's uniform. Although Chubb hasn't "dominated" a game, he has clearly made an impact. He created a sack for Von Miller when he pressed Wilson last week.

If the Raider's had kept Khalil Mack we would have lost this game. I'm sure of it.

Chubb as a Denver Bronco is the bee's knees with Von Miller opposite him.

Comment

• Look at Von Miller history.

From what he did his first few seasons...to getting suspended...getting hurt...to becoming Super Bowl MVP to be top paid defensive player in history.

It was a roller coaster ride with ups and downs. It was a fun ride :thumb:

Now take a step back and realize we are having this discussion after two NFL games. Please continue the discussion....it is fun...but be real about what we are talking about here.

It was a good choice imo
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

The edge rushers are actually spending most of their time with Bill Kollar this year, that's why they didn't hire a replacement OLB coach. They talked about it in April when OTAs first started, that's where they were spending the majority of their time because they're d-linemen, regardless of what the team wants to call them, they're linemen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                VJ admitted the mistake with giving the receivers too much cushion. He said: “It falls on me. He held the ball twice and we got two sacks. At halftime he was 18 for 19 and it was really quick passes. That falls back on the corners, we have to press the receivers because if he holds the ball we know we can get pressure. If it comes out quick and we’re seven, eight yards off, it’s going to be a completed ball (the receiver) is going to fall for five or six (yards). Our corners have to play with great confidence all the time with press coverage. With our pass rush, as a corner, you should have confidence … that our pressure we’ll get there ... And it starts with me as far as how we call a defense and being aggressive.’’

I thought we only had one sack. It remains to be seen if the coaches will change how they’re using Chubb. At least VJ recognizes the issue with not allowing the secondary to press, but it would have been better to adjust during the game.

I imagine he's talking about the strip sack that didn't count as well, because that took a long time to develop, so they made him hold onto the ball.

Comment

• Can we give a rookie a little more than 2 games before we start questioning if he was over-hyped (which I take to mean not living up to expectations)? Just asking...

Comment

• Originally posted by cirehawk View Post
                    Can we give a rookie a little more than 2 games before we start questioning if he was over-hyped (which I take to mean not living up to expectations)? Just asking...
                    Give it two more weeks, the Trade Chubb threads will start up.

Comment

• Isn’t Chubb also going up against LT? LT are usually considered your best Olinemen. I’m not too surprised of his performance as of now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        Give it two more weeks, the Trade Chubb threads will start up.
                        That would be funny if it weren't actually true. lol I better watch myself though. I was accused (in a side comment) of either being related to VJ or his lawyer, I assume because I try to make reasonable counter arguments to the "he's a horrible coach" uproar. If I try to defend Chubb too much I may end up being his brother.

Comment

• Chubb isn’t over hyped I just think many of us are sub consciously holding him to a very strong Von Miller type performance in his rookie year.

Chubb isn’t over hyped but he’s not Von Miller however I think he can be better than Myles Garret but perhaps Elway should start Ray who’s playing on a contract year while allowing Chubb the time to learn while the game slows down for him!

Comment

I imagine he's talking about the strip sack that didn't count as well, because that took a long time to develop, so they made him hold onto the ball.
                            Ah that’s right I forgot about that play.

Comment

• Chubb will be fine. Two games in and nothing surprising here. That Denzel Ward that the Browns drafted instead of Chubb looks like he's the real deal.

Comment

The edge rushers are actually spending most of their time with Bill Kollar this year, that's why they didn't hire a replacement OLB coach. They talked about it in April when OTAs first started, that's where they were spending the majority of their time because they're d-linemen, regardless of what the team wants to call them, they're linemen.
                                Only Von Miller spends most of his time with Bill Kollar to focus on pass rushing. The others [Barrett, Ray, Chubb] are coached by Reggie Herring.

https://www.9news.com/article/sports...m/73-532487419

Von Miller and Bill Kollar in the same meeting room, hour after hour, day after day.

Aaaaaaand, Action!

At his second NFL coaches breakfast here Tuesday morning, Broncos head coach Vance Joseph brought up a unique twist to his coaching assignments.

Miller, the "Will" linebacker and star pass rusher who usually lines up on the left side, will now be coached by the fiery Kollar, who otherwise coaches defensive linemen.

Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett, the "Sam" linebackers who rush from the other side, will be coached by Reggie Herring, who also coaches the “Mike” and “Mo” inside backers, Brandon Marshall and Todd Davis.

Reggie, Mike and Mo. And Von.

Von Miller and Bill Kollar.
                                https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...ast-117917024/

As it stands, the linebackers will be split up, but the way the Broncos will separately coach this unit is curious to say the least.

“The plan there is we’re going to have the three-down guys and our ‘Will’ backer in [Defensive Line Coach Bill] Kollar’s room,” Coach Joseph said back in March. “We’re going to have our ‘Sam’, ‘Mike’ and ‘Mo’ be with [Linebackers Coach] Reggie Herring. [Assistant Defensive Line Coach] Chris Beake is going to be our go-between between our outside backers and our front-four rushers, basically, as far as the scheme. We didn’t replace Coach ‘Pug’ (Outside Linebacker Coach Fred Pagac), but we adjusted our coaching rooms to basically put the ‘Will’ backer with Coach Kollar and keep the ‘Sam’, ‘Mike’ and ‘Mo’ with Coach Herring.”

Translation: Von Miller (Denver’s 'Will' LB) will join the down linemen in D-line Coach Bill Kollar’s room. Shane Ray and Shaquil Barrett — outside linebackers — will be in the same room as Brandon Marshall and Todd Davis — the off-ball linebackers — with Reggie Herring. In what football world it makes sense to split up your edge rushers into different coaching groups I'll never know.

After the Draft, Coach Joseph was point-blank asked what position Bradley Chubb will play and which coach he’ll be under.

“He’s going to be in the outside linebackers room,” Joseph said. “That’s obviously right now being split between [LB Coach] Reggie [Herring] and [DL Coach] Bill [Kollar]. He’s a SAM backer at the moment.”
                                EDIT: And Von Miller said he only spends 25% of his time with Bill Kollar.

Last edited by -Rod-; 09-17-2018, 11:14 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X