High upside, but 2018 Broncos = House of Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
    I wish the ball was spotted right in the middle on every play, to be honest. Especially in college, it becomes ridiculous how there is so much space on one side. At the very least, the pro and college hashmarks should be the same.
    I hear you, but I think there will always be a long and short side. Hashmarks came from the need to place the ball somewhere besides the sideline when it goes out-of-bounds like they do in rugby where the ball is thrown in from the sideline. At least in the NFL, the ball is put in play somewhere in the 18'6" space aligned to the goalposts. That change didn't happen until the early Seventies, I believe. Prior to that, I think the hashmarks were 40' apart like in college. I think they were narrowed to enhance the passing game.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
      I wish the ball was spotted right in the middle on every play, to be honest. Especially in college, it becomes ridiculous how there is so much space on one side. At the very least, the pro and college hashmarks should be the same.
      You should see it on a Canadian field. The width is 65 yards. Hash marks (fields are the same in HS, College and CFL) it's 24 yards from the sideline to the hash mark, and 17 yards between the hashes. So a ball on the hash marks has 24 yards to defend on one side and 41 yards to defend on the other.

While this benefits the run game, the advantage for the defense is in the pass game, because throwing to a receiver on the wide side becomes a really really long throw even on fairly short patterns.

Comment

Working...
      X