Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on the affects of the new helmet rule on Denvers running game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your thoughts on the affects of the new helmet rule on Denvers running game?

After reading up on the new helmet rule and watching a video made by the NFL on what hits are illegal it appears the days of power running is over.

Should Denver think about going pass heavy?

On a side note, I have noticed the change in overall intensity of the game which I think is for the better to help protect the players but I feel like this is the first of many big changes to the game. I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of flags this season and games being decided because of this rule. Its going to be really hard to enforce.

There is a shift to back to a running culture. I don’t think it’ll change much from the runners standpoint.
    sigpic

Comment

Every team runs the ball with angle blocks and zone blocks in the playbook, so the new rule might ruin the game for everybody, not just one team. In reality, the new use-of-helmet rule cannot be enforced correctly, or else there will be multiple penalties on every play, on both sides. The result will likely be an even heavier influece of the referees on the outcome of NFL games.

You can argue that, by the rulebook, there is at least one holding penalty on every play. However, the referees constantly allow offensive lines to get away with flagrant holding, choosing when to throw the flag. Expect something similar with this new helmet rule. Linemen from both sides fire off the line with their heads low. How will defensive linemen be able to use a 3-point stance? Running backs lower their heads to run through the gaps. Pass rushers lower their heads to chase the quarterback.

The game of football is over if this new penalty is ruled correctly on every play. So, the result will be arbitrary calls by the referees and a lot of controversy, especially now with legalized gambling.
      sigpic

Comment

I don't think the NFL had a choice but to make this rule. They are not supposed to be flagging running backs for lowering their head to brace for impact or QBs lowering their head for a QB sneak, or linemen taking off from a 3 point stance. I do not think it changes the game from a RB standpoint. But as Rod pointed out does have the potential to be a tool for refs to manipulate the outcome of games, like the holding rule has. Holding can be called on half the players on the field on any given play. So it's not like refs need anymore tools to make arbitrary calls. I'm all for protecting players so my hope is that that's all the refs use this rule for. We will have to watch very closely to see if the NFL uses this to get favorable matchups in the playoffs for favorable ratings.

Comment

The funny thing is that the new rule isn't actually a new rule at all, it's an old rule under the Unnecessary Roughness framework that's had 3 words at the end of it removed. The old rule was: “using any part of a player’s helmet or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily” the new rule is that exact wording minus violently or unnecessarily.

There's been talk that it means linemen will no longer be able to lineup in 3 and 4 point stances, and that all players will start from the two point stance. We'll see, but I think the rule will be a mess in the preseason and then the league will issue a directive that cleans it up (ignores the rule most of the time) because of the blowback that's going to come. In theory the QB sneak will now be an illegal play because a QB is leading with his helmet into opponents.

The good news for the Broncos, this rule is for all 32 teams, not just them, once things get worked out it'll be fine.

Comment

Notice all the flag football stuff they've been posting on the NFL website? That's going to be the NFL in about 10 years.... They have a reason for posting that nonstop lately.

Comment

Maybe they should just do away with helmets and pads? The players could wear flags from each hip.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                Maybe they should just do away with helmets and pads? The players could wear flags from each hip.
                Don't even go there!
                GO BRONCO'S !!!!! :lombardi::lombardi::lombardi:

Comment

Settle down... the sky's not falling. Players are just going to show some restraint in leading with their helmet... that's all.
                  "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
                    Settle down... the sky's not falling. Players are just going to show some restraint in leading with their helmet... that's all.
                    Right.....
                    sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
                      I do not think much will change until flags start being thrown.

Then there will be back and forth about how the rules are enforced...much like holding calls mentioned else where.

We probably will not know the effect of this rule long term until 1-3 years has passed and all the dust settles down.

RBs have been allowed to do things not only with their helmet and with their stiff arming to other players helmets+facemaks. These actions would be penalties if other players did this. I knew these changes were going to come eventually based on the other rules being changed and/or rules enforced differently.
                      Last edited by Hadez; 07-15-2018, 05:07 PM.
                      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosIsWin View Post
                        Notice all the flag football stuff they've been posting on the NFL website? That's going to be the NFL in about 10 years.... They have a reason for posting that nonstop lately.
                        a lot of youth schools/leagues have switched to flag for kids younger than high school already.
                        sigpic

Comment

The interpretation of this rule will be interesting. Hitting with the top of the helmet has been illegal for a long time at all levels of the game, so that part won't be different. Linemen who line up in a three/four-point stance about a foot away from each other always have scratches on the front half of their hats above the facemask. That's what happens when two helmets so close to each other move together. If that results in penalties, the new rule will significantly change line play on both sides of the ball.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                            a lot of youth schools/leagues have switched to flag for kids younger than high school already.
                            I've thought for a long time that tackle football with pads and helmets is unsuitable for children younger than 13/14 years old given the size of their heads in relation to their bodies, especially kids under the age of ten. It's a relatively unstudied area of the possible ill effects of the sport at that age. It is likely that unknown damage is happening. I've also felt that football weight lifting programs are unsuitable before 9th grade. School districts that still have junior high schools, grades 7-9, might have football programs for 8th/9th grade. High schools grades 9-12 should be the entry level for football in the freshman year IMO.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                              Every team runs the ball with angle blocks and zone blocks in the playbook, so the new rule might ruin the game for everybody, not just one team. In reality, the new use-of-helmet rule cannot be enforced correctly, or else there will be multiple penalties on every play, on both sides. The result will likely be an even heavier influece of the referees on the outcome of NFL games.

You can argue that, by the rulebook, there is at least one holding penalty on every play. However, the referees constantly allow offensive lines to get away with flagrant holding, choosing when to throw the flag. Expect something similar with this new helmet rule. Linemen from both sides fire off the line with their heads low. How will defensive linemen be able to use a 3-point stance? Running backs lower their heads to run through the gaps. Pass rushers lower their heads to chase the quarterback.

The game of football is over if this new penalty is ruled correctly on every play. So, the result will be arbitrary calls by the referees and a lot of controversy, especially now with legalized gambling.
                              This. The rule will likely be selectively enforced (like many other official rules). I wouldn't be surprised if the league "phases in" the enforcement of this rule more stringently in future seasons. Thereby, gradually changing the game (and fan expectations) as opposed to just upending it in a single season.
                              To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Working...
                              X