Alternate Universe: 1998 Broncos vs 2000 Ravens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Universe: 1998 Broncos vs 2000 Ravens

What if these two teams met? What do you think would have happened? Would our offense have found a way to beat them? Would TD have rushed for 100 yards? They might have been the best defense ever, but they didn't face any offense like the 98 team that year.

Sharpe, Pryce, and Traylor gonna be exhausted playing for both sides. That's all I know.
    2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

Originally posted by conannilsen View Post
      Sharpe, Pryce, and Traylor gonna be exhausted playing for both sides. That's all I know.
      Being that it is a hypothetical... I'd probably put my money on the 2000 Ravens.

Comment

1998 Broncos versus the 2000 Ravens? Elway would've smoked that secondary every day of the week and twice on Sunday...they probably stuff TD at the LOS, however.

Luckily for them, the 2000 Ravens were gifted a schedule that included very few competent passers.
        To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

For a good time, look at the Ravens/Titans Divisional game box score. Then, look at why TEN lost that game. You had to run the ball and stop the run against Baltimore. If you were forced to pass, you were dead. That's why Oakland got murdered. They didn't manage to run the ball, and Ganon turned it over 4 times. Trent Dilfer wasn't going to beat you unless you gave up a big play. So, I guess it would come down to whether or not we could run the ball on them like Eddie and Tennessee did.

I think there's something to be said about the quarterbacks they went against in the playoffs as well. Who are you going to have more success against in a must pass situation? Griese, McNair, Gannon, Collins, or Elway even as old as he was?
          Last edited by Spice 1; 08-07-2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Honestly, that Ravens Defense was a monster. But they only faced 2 good QBs all year! 3 if you count Aikman who didn’t even finish what would be his last year. They had the easiest road to the SB I’ve ever seen. McNair (x2) and Gannon. They played bottom 15 guys all year

So with that said, I’m taking the 98 Broncos and an over the hill Elway, who was still better than 90% of the QB’s they faced in 2000
            #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
              1998 Broncos versus the 2000 Ravens? Elway would've smoked that secondary every day of the week and twice on Sunday...they probably stuff TD at the LOS, however.

Luckily for them, the 2000 Ravens were gifted a schedule that included very few competent passers.
              Not to mention that Dilfer would have been humiliated by our defense.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                Not to mention that Dilfer would have been humiliated by our defense.
                That would've been a fun game...and I wouldn't be too surprised if the `98 Broncos manhandled that team.
                To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by conannilsen View Post
                  But it would have been fun to watch!!
                  *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                  *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                  *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

The key to success for the Broncos run game would be to get Sam Adams and Siragusa moving. Don't let them just tie up blocks, but getting them working side to side on the stretch, and cut them every chance you get. If they could get to the second level they'd have success, but if those two occupied the interior 3 OL consistently and allowed the backers to flow and make plays, the advantage goes to the Ravens.

The Ravens pass D was just okay that year (in comparison to other teams that season) finishing 8th. Denver had 3 good receivers that would have been tough matchups for the Ravens.

On the other side of the ball, the Ravens O was built just to not make mistakes. Let the D dominate and then score just enough to win. If Denver scores at all and the Ravens O then has to keep it up, it doesn't happen.

I think the more intriguing matchup is the #1 defense in 2000 the Titans v the 98 Broncos. The Titans were the best pass D that year and the 3rd best run D, which meant they were the best D overall. But the Titans O was better than the Ravens O.

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                      But it would have been fun to watch!!
                      Sharpe trash talking with himself before the game would've been better than the game itself. "Erbody know old Shannon can't run routes." "Who said I can't run routes? Shannon who? That's why he got 2 rings, and I got 3."

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        The key to success for the Broncos run game would be to get Sam Adams and Siragusa moving. Don't let them just tie up blocks, but getting them working side to side on the stretch, and cut them every chance you get. If they could get to the second level they'd have success, but if those two occupied the interior 3 OL consistently and allowed the backers to flow and make plays, the advantage goes to the Ravens.

The Ravens pass D was just okay that year (in comparison to other teams that season) finishing 8th. Denver had 3 good receivers that would have been tough matchups for the Ravens.

On the other side of the ball, the Ravens O was built just to not make mistakes. Let the D dominate and then score just enough to win. If Denver scores at all and the Ravens O then has to keep it up, it doesn't happen.

I think the more intriguing matchup is the #1 defense in 2000 the Titans v the 98 Broncos. The Titans were the best pass D that year and the 3rd best run D, which meant they were the best D overall. But the Titans O was better than the Ravens O.
                        Howard Griffith was no slouch either. He was a 4th set of hands to throw too and a good blocker. In fact, we had a great line and position players who would and could block also. Elway was always a threat too so that would make 6 legit threats on our offense imo. I thoroughly believe Shanny would have come up with a good game plan and it would've included running on them. I have no doubt that our offense that year could have matched well with their D and would have scored some points along with tiring them out by the 4th as we did with Green Bays D. I also think our O matched up way better against their D then their O matched up with our D. I think our D would have handled their O easily. Shutting down the run and forcing Dilfer to try and make some plays against them. I really don't think Dilfer could have made enough. But then I am totally biased too.:2cents:
                        Last edited by FL BRONCO; 08-07-2018, 08:17 PM.
                        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

A lot of people don't remember but...Eddie George was on track to rushing for 100 yards in the playoff game vs the 2000 Ravens...but Tennessee had to abandon the run after an interception touchdown gave the Ravens a 14 point lead.

There's no doubt in my mind that TD could have rushed for 100 yards on the 2000 Ravens. I think TD would have rushed for 110. Elway might not have not have had a career day, but I think with what he had to work with that year, he would have found enough gaps to produce some points.

Jamal Lewis and the elder Shannon Sharpe would have done something for Baltimore. I doubt it would have been enough though, given who they had playing quarterback.

The real key to the game might have been special teams. Surely the 98 Broncos special teams wouldn't have given the 2000 Ravens points like Tennessee did, or would they?

1998 Broncos: 27
                          2000 Ravens: 16
                          Last edited by Hph5; 08-09-2018, 12:33 AM.

Comment

DEN wins easily
                            "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Working...
                            X