Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“Is Von Miller being paid too much”? Mike Evans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Is Von Miller being paid too much”? Mike Evans!

So I was listening to Schlereth and Evans this morning on 1043 The Fan and yes I know you guys are going to say “those guys are idiots and they don’t know what they are talking about”! I get it but anyway Mike posed a very interesting question. He asked if Von Miller is really the dominant edge rusher that everybody seems to think he is.

He makes a valid point by saying that we are paying a Von a ton of money to be a difference maker, to dominate and wreak havoc against these these opposing NFL offenses.

In my opinion I somewhat agree with Mike because the Von Miller has been anything but that especially when you watch the Chicago Bears play and you see Khalil Mack kicking ass and taking names out there. In every game so far this season Mack has wreaked havoc while becoming a serious menace. He doesn’t have Shane Ray, Shaq Barret, Bradley Chubb or a Derek Wolfe to take pressure away from him either.

No I’m not for one minute saying that we need to trade Von, I am just asking the question that Mike asked this morning and that is, is Von Miller eating up way too much of our salary cap to the point where he’s not making a big enough difference while we still need help in other areas of the team?

Von Miller has 4 sacks in 3 games and would’ve had a 5th with a strip sack against Oakland but it was negated on a bad Todd Davis hold.

I don’t agree with anyone saying he isn’t impacting games. Though some of it is still not as sufficient of a pass rush on the other side since ware retired. Sure the future is bright with Chubb but it’s not there yet. Saw a lot of double teams against Von in the Baltimore game.

No he is not over paid.
    sigpic

Comment

Yes Von Miller is over paid from one perspective, but not from the one that matters, which is leverage at the time of negotiation.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
        So I was listening to Schlereth and Evans this morning on 1043 The Fan and yes I know you guys are going to say “those guys are idiots and they don’t know what they are talking about”! I get it but anyway Mike posed a very interesting question. He asked if Von Miller is really the dominant edge rusher that everybody seems to think he is.

He makes a valid point by saying that we are paying a Von a ton of money to be a difference maker, to dominate and wreak havoc against these these opposing NFL offenses.

In my opinion I somewhat agree with Mike because the Von Miller has been anything but that especially when you watch the Chicago Bears play and you see Khalil Mack kicking ass and taking names out there. In every game so far this season Mack has wreaked havoc while becoming a serious menace. He doesn’t have Shane Ray, Shaq Barret, Bradley Chubb or a Derek Wolfe to take pressure away from him either.

No I’m not for one minute saying that we need to trade Von, I am just asking the question that Mike asked this morning and that is, is Von Miller eating up way too much of our salary cap to the point where he’s not making a big enough difference while we still need help in other areas of the team?
        Miller has just as many sacks as Mack, 4 each. As far as Miller having more help, the numbers don't support that. The Bears are #1 in the league in sacks while The Broncos are #7. Ray, Chubb, Barrett and Wolfe have combined for only 3.5 sacks. Both Miller and Mack are probably overpayed. That's just how it is with great players. Right now we can afford Miller because we don't have a franchise QB. The Bears can afford Mack because Trubisky is still on his rookie contract.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
          Von Miller has 4 sacks in 3 games and would’ve had a 5th with a strip sack against Oakland but it was negated on a bad Todd Davis hold.

I don’t agree with anyone saying he isn’t impacting games. Though some of it is still not as sufficient of a pass rush on the other side since ware retired. Sure the future is bright with Chubb but it’s not there yet. Saw a lot of double teams against Von in the Baltimore game.

No he is not over paid.
          Wow see the bolder is exactly what Mike said, “Bradley Chubb isn’t there yet but there’s still Shane Ray and Shaq Barret”. Opposite of a double teamed Mack is Akeem Hicks, Eddie Goldman, and Jonathan Bullard. Now I wouldn’t venture to say that any of those guys are better that our guys but it doesn’t seem to affect Mack’s performance all that much.

Von has 4 sacks In 3 games so he’s starting the season off strong but the last couple seasons he has been anything but dominant since his pay day!

Comment

Alot of players are paid too much, but Miller has been performing pretty well so far. From PFF's team of the week for week 2 -

EDGE DEFENDER

Von Miller, Denver Broncos – 82.5

Miller missed being on our Team of the Week last week by mere decimal points in our grading, but he earns a spot this week. He racked up a sack and two hurries as a pass-rusher, making his presence felt early and often for Raiders QB Derek Carr.

So he was graded as one of the top defenders in the league the first 2 games. Not sure about the Ravens game but it doesn't help him that we play so much soft coverage, that has to change at some point.

As a side note Chubb seems to be doing OK -

PICK NO 5: BRADLEY CHUBB, DENVER BRONCOS

2018 SEASON GRADE: 67.6

The promising young edge defender has now been incredibly productive in two of his three games as a pro. This past week against the Ravens, Chubb produced a sack and two other hurries on 25 pass-rushing snaps, and also added a defensive stop against the run. Through three weeks, the fifth overall pick has produced pressure on 18.9 percent of his pass-rush snaps, the third-highest rate ever recorded by a rookie edge defender with at least 50 snaps in the first three weeks of a season.

Miller will be huge this week against KC at home, he has dominated the first 2 home games this season - From Roto -

Von Miller recorded three sacks, two forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery in the Broncos' Week 1 win over the Seahawks.
            Miller was an absolute monster in this game, consistently creating pressure and bothering Russell Wilson. His fumble recovery came on a play in which he ripped the ball out of Chris Carson's hands. Denver has some questions in the secondary this season, but Miller will help mask them if he keeps playing at this level.

Comment

Wow see the bolder is exactly what Mike said, “Bradley Chubb isn’t there yet but there’s still Shane Ray and Shaq Barret”. Opposite of a double teamed Mack is Akeem Hicks, Eddie Goldman, and Jonathan Bullard. Now I wouldn’t venture to say that any of those guys are better that our guys but it doesn’t seem to affect Mack’s performance all that much.

Von has 4 sacks In 3 games so he’s starting the season off strong but the last couple seasons he has been anything but dominant since his pay day!
              Miller had 23.5 sacks from 2016-2017. That's pretty good. That's more than Mack, too.

Comment

Going off his cap hit this year, he's definitely not overpaid. If you want to talk about overpaid, talk about the two names at the top of this list:

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                  Going off his cap hit this year, he's definitely not overpaid. If you want to talk about overpaid, talk about the two names at the top of this list:

15 million is not too bad for a QB, they always cost. I think he'll have a good season.

I can see the argument both ways with DT but he is an important player for us

I was going to pick someone out for being over-paid but honestly can't see anyone. You could make an argument for Stewart, he has been slowing down the last year.

Comment

Von earned and richly-deserved the contract he received. Any player that's instrumental to a Superbowl victory should be paid. And he gave a SB-quality performance Week 1 vs. Seattle (which Evans apparently forgot) so in the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately-centric view, he's still our best defender and a game changer. But no player is that every single game. Von also gets held a lot without penalty and that's been the norm for years.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

His cap hit is low this year because we restructured part of it to future years. See the 25 mil cap hits in coming years.
                      Let's Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                        His cap hit is low this year because we restructured part of it to future years. See the 25 mil cap hits in coming years.
                        Yeah it gets rough, but I'm guessing DT, Marshall, and Keenum won't be here. And for sure Roby and His $8 million won't be here.

Comment

Yeah it gets rough, but I'm guessing DT, Marshall, and Keenum won't be here. And for sure Roby and His $8 million won't be here.
                          I like this post but who do you see us replacing keenum with?

Comment

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
                            Von earned and richly-deserved the contract he received. Any player that's instrumental to a Superbowl victory should be paid. And he gave a SB-quality performance Week 1 vs. Seattle (which Evans apparently forgot) so in the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately-centric view, he's still our best defender and a game changer. But no player is that every single game. Von also gets held a lot without penalty and that's been the norm for years.
                            You absolutely right. Every player even hall of famers have mediocre games sometimes, it is called humanity. Von got a huge contract because he was the best Defensive player in the league after that Super Bowl and it was time to pay up or send him off to free agency. With our pass rush potential I can not figure out why or DB's play so far of WR's and TE's.

Comment

I like this post but who do you see us replacing keenum with?
                              Well to start, his cap hit jumps up to $21 million next year, no way has his play so far justified that number, any QB off the street is capable of leading the league in INT. I'm hoping he finds a way to step it up and start earning his pay, but I doubt it happens.

If he continues to play poorly the options are limited, that's why I didn't like the decision not to draft a QB when we had a chance this year. We could try to draft one again, but already with 2 wins and an easy schedule we probably won't be in a position again to get one of the top guys.

FA options are limited as well, maybe we could trade for an aging veteran like Rivers if the Charger are finally ready to dump him, but that's not likely. Bridgewater could be an option, though not a very appealing one. In reality every option sucks, we really need Keenum to workout, but I don't see it happening, and at $21 million even if he does turn out ok, we'll be handcuffed by his contract. This is what happens when you tie all your hopes to a career backup.

Comment

Working...
                              X