Would you rather....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you rather....

Just a reality check. Looking at what Mahomes did tonight, what Mayfield has been doing, what Rosen looked like (even in a loss) yesterday, to some extent Allen and Darnold, Trubisky, it seems worth reflecting on our lack of participation in the "draft a young franchise QB game."

So I keep hearing about what a great draft we had (this year of course, we can ignore the previous years drafts that have been horrid and not even worth defending). I'll agree our young draft picks seem promising. Ok, so the question is does good drafting of other positions make up for ignoring the QB position?

For the game tonight would you rather have had a young, gunner franchise QB fresh off your #1 draft choice (Rosen for instance) or was it enough to see Chubb doing nothing, Sutton giving the game away, Freeman doing well but invisible in the second half, Hamilton catching punts reliably (which is not insignificant after the awful experiment last year with our draft pick) and Jewell being good but not impact? I would have traded all of these guys for a good QB.

You know what, lets look at our last years draft - oh wait, its entirely forgettable featuring only one player, Bolles, and him being quite possibly the worst LT we have EVER had. Just where exactly are our draft choices showing up and someone explain to me why we didn't draft a #1 QB when we had the chance this year? And based on how our draft is going, I almost think it would have been worth packaging any combination of draft picks to move up and select the QB that Denver wanted, whomever it was. Because, frankly, it's more likely than not that we will bungle most of our upcoming picks based on past history. Does someone really want to make the argument that we are likely to strike gold with any future draft pick and its so precious that we had to hold onto it instead of using it to get a franchise QB?

Since 2010, we have had roughly 72 draft picks, 16 are playing on the active roster. That's a hit rate of 22%. I wish I were the GM because I know what my pitch would be - "Please, someone take our draft picks and give us a franchise QB. Take whatever you feel its worth and leave the franchise QB at the door." I find myself red with Mahomes envy, Black with Trubisky envy, Green with Darnold envy, orange with Mayfield envy (although the Browns really gotta upgrade that color scheme IMO), and deeper red with Rosen envy. I would even be a little blue with Allen envy I suppose, although I think he's the least promising.

A good QB could even make this ridiculous coaching staff look good.

The high 1st round draft choice comes along so rarely, unless you are perpetually bad (which we might be headed for), you gotta make it count when you have it, especially in a year like last year with a bunch of QBs that have a decent shot of being special. We bungled it. Chubb has 1.5 sacks this year...........and we have no future at QB on this roster. If that hurts a bit, it should.
    Last edited by Humberg; 10-01-2018, 09:32 PM.
    To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Pass blocking

I really feel like this is Denvers Achilles’ heel. We can run the football, play defense but our pass blocking reeks. It looks all the more pathetic considering we can run the football. A good running game is usually a pass blocker’s best friend but not on this team. Garrett Bowels has more tackles than Shane Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by 98-O-Line View Post
      I really feel like this is Denvers Achilles’ heel. We can run the football, play defense but our pass blocking reeks. It looks all the more pathetic considering we can run the football. A good running game is usually a pass blocker’s best friend but not on this team. Garrett Bowels has more tackles than Shane Ray.
      I agree but that is part of the problem. Ray was a 1st rounder. We needed him to step up and he didn't...he reminded me a lot of the defensive version of Decker out there....trrripping over his own feet.

Comment

I’d give three or four first rounders for Mahomes right now...
        To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

He always looks half a step slow to me

Comment

I thought Turner played better than Veldheer did. Interior struggled, Bolles was playing with some terrible technique. Too often his first step put in at a 90 degree angle with the LoS and you can’t block Justin Houston like that

Comment

The offensive line isn't anything special, but blaming the line is often an excuse used by fans to justify horrible QB play.

Giants fans are doing the same thing with Eli, who has been washed for like 5 years.

Broncos fans even did it for Osweiler and Siemian.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                I thought Turner played better than Veldheer did. Interior struggled, Bolles was playing with some terrible technique. Too often his first step put in at a 90 degree angle with the LoS and you can’t block Justin Houston like that
                Bolles needs to be moved to RT, i believe. but this next years drat is actually really strong AT Ot, we really need to look into Trey Adams Greg Little and Jonahs Williams. they all seem like they have ligit LT potential and a great skill set. there skill set makes bolles looks sad. i think bolles looks more raw then any of these three.
                sigpic
                oakland raders gm
                latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                  Bolles needs to be moved to RT, i believe. but this next years drat is actually really strong AT Ot, we really need to look into Trey Adams Greg Little and Jonahs Williams. they all seem like they have ligit LT potential and a great skill set. there skill set makes bolles looks sad. i think bolles looks more raw then any of these three.
                  It wouldn't be any better there. The best pass rushers often line up on the RT. Who would play LT if Bolles is moved? Turner? Veldheer? that isn't the solution.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                    It wouldn't be any better there. The best pass rushers often line up on the RT. Who would play LT if Bolles is moved? Turner? Veldheer? that isn't the solution.
                    more of a long term thing. we just have to hope they get better as they play together, but i would like to see a new LT next season.

i am not sure we have a starting caliber OT on the roster ATM.
                    Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 10-01-2018, 10:14 PM.
                    sigpic
                    oakland raders gm

Comment

Bolles is playing bad and frustrated and it's leading to more penalties and more bad play.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                        more of a long term thing. we just have to hope they get better as they play together, but i would like to see a new LT next season.
                        agreed
                        sigpic

Comment

agreed
                          i am not sure of a way to repair the O-line this season. We may have of the worst OT Situations in the NFL.
                          sigpic
                          oakland raders gm

Comment

I think they should try Bolles on the defense of line. It’s probably still too early to say he’s washed up as an offensive linemen but I’m not seeing any encouraging signs

Comment

mahomes is once in a generation and is going to absolutely clamp this division for the next 10 years unfortunately, so yes i am jealous they have him. The NFL doesn't see this level of talent and play often

Comment

Working...
                              X