DeMarcus Walker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeMarcus Walker

Any real reason as to why he hasn’t been playing especially with the season being down the drain? He flashed in his brief snaps earlier this season even notching a sack, VJ has said that he’s kept his weight up at 285 so what gives?

Deactivate Cracraft and let Booker return punts, he’s actually looked like a capable runner this season.

I’m totally with you Kronk... Joseph has cited multiple times that it’s a “depth issue”, because we have so many quality players on the D line. Chalk it up to yet another of VJ’s grotesque mismanagement situations, one where he always plays not to lose instead of playing to win. How do we know that Walker isn’t an absolute beast? Sit Wolfe in this last game and let Walker have all of the game reps that Wolfe would get, let’s find out if we have a viable way to save a big chunk of money next season with Wolfe’s replacement! Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always been a big fan of Derek Wolfe, but, maybe we should find out what Walker is and stop guessing what he could be...

Comment

Wolfe and Malik Jackson were not the players they were until Wade and his staff took over the defense. I remember in the offseason that many people were saying Wolfe and Jackson would be better suited for Wade's defense.

Some players play better with different coaching.

While I can not speak specifically of Walker there are other examples on this team imo where the coaches are not using the players to the players' strengths and weakness
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

DeMarcus Walker will improve and get more playing time once we get a competent coaching staff.
        sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
        Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
        PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
          Wolfe and Malik Jackson were not the players they were until Wade and his staff took over the defense. I remember in the offseason that many people were saying Wolfe and Jackson would be better suited for Wade's defense.

Some players play better with different coaching.

While I can not speak specifically of Walker there are other examples on this team imo where the coaches are not using the players to the players' strengths and weakness
          While I agree that Wolfe and Jackson became better players when we had that historic defense in 2015, they were at least very solid contributors from 2012-2014 and weren’t healthy scratches. Most Bronco fans knew that Malik was a great player even before his final season in Denver, in 2015. Malik’s best season with Denver was arguably 2013. Wolfe has obviously been well known around this fan base since his rookie year.

Walker has barely been able to touch the field in his two years in Denver. Even last year with no pass rush outside of Von. Which probably has to do with the lack of coaching from our head coach. Fact of the matter is that Walker has been a huge bust through this point and appears to be another wasted second round pick. Even with Fox and Kubes, who prefer vets over young guys, had Wolfe and Jackson out there because of a skill standpoint. I don’t think Walker falls in that category, unfortunately.

At this point, I’m totally fine with moving on from Walker and Denver’s best rappers, Langley and Cravens.
          2016 Adopt-A-Bronco: CB-Chris Harris Jr.

Comment

I'm on the fence with Walker. It's easy to blame the coaching staff but there are layers to the staff (HC, DC, DL - Bill Kollar in particular) that make this seem more murky. For a 2nd round player not able to beat out a spot on the DL that often has no push in to the interior and been manhandled during games.

Joseph said it's a numbers game, him being the 6th lineman... sounds more like coach speak and I wonder if there is more to it. Has he just not looked good during the season? (I though everyone had great practices ) Is he in the doghouse for something?

2017 doesn't really count to me. He played limited snaps out of position mostly due to depth on the DL, wanting him on the field, and injury among the LBs to Ray and Barrett. He basically played LB, yes experimentally, but more out of necessity.

Kollar's name still carries weight among the coaches. I'd be surprised if Woods or Joseph don't value his input on Walker and kind of makes me thing there is more to him being inactive than simple incompetence.
            Last edited by Rastic; 12-26-2018, 10:20 AM.

Comment

The thing is though, usually when he’s on the field he flashes at least as a pass rusher. And we don’t really have that along our dline. Gotsis has 3 sacks with Wolfe and Harris at 1.5. Walker has 1 sack, 1 QB hit and 1 FR in 21 snaps on the season. Last season he had 1 sack and 5 hits in 100 snaps playing out of position.

It’s an extremely small sample size for a 2nd round pick but the production within that sample raises some questions as to why we can’t see more of him especially since our season is over.

Comment

I'm wholly with the "This is the coaching staffs issue". Walker has looked very good when given an opportunity to play yet they refuse to play him. The various Broncos coaching staffs have historically done this. Players I remember both my dad and I wondering out loud why they never saw the field more included:

Wesley Woodyard
                Danny Trevathon
                Malik Jackson
                Shelby Harris
                and Demarcus Walker.

The top three become solid, or better, starters for us, usually in their last 1 or 2 contract years. Let's hope the bottom turn out the same way but we keep them.

As for inactive... no idea why they'd do that especially since there is a 90% chance Wolfe doesn't finish any single game.

Comment

Originally posted by jdhdiggs View Post
                  I'm wholly with the "This is the coaching staffs issue". Walker has looked very good when given an opportunity to play yet they refuse to play him. The various Broncos coaching staffs have historically done this. Players I remember both my dad and I wondering out loud why they never saw the field more included:

Wesley Woodyard
                  Danny Trevathon
                  Malik Jackson
                  Shelby Harris
                  and Demarcus Walker.

The top three become solid, or better, starters for us, usually in their last 1 or 2 contract years. Let's hope the bottom turn out the same way but we keep them.

As for inactive... no idea why they'd do that especially since there is a 90% chance Wolfe doesn't finish any single game.
                  Various being the keyword. Going back that far in history few of the current coaches were around for all players as HC, DC or main position coaching.

Most teams do not dress 6 DLs on game day. Most on the DL are rotational in down, distance, and situation not even to mention when injury happens.

I'm frustrated Walker has not been active but there are too many moving parts to try and pin it entirely on the coaching staff. And given how the season has gone, and even the willingness to temporarily bench Von Miller for a play for his penalties against the 49ers and later benching (inactive on 2 consecutive games) Cravens and Ray for their poor play - seems like the Walker story is not just incompetence.

Comment

I would assume that if Walker could play, he would be playing. Looks like another bad Draft pick.

Comment

Meh. Throw all of the marginal guys out there and see what we got. No reason not to.
                      Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                        I would assume that if Walker could play, he would be playing. Looks like another bad Draft pick.
                        If you extrapolate his sacks produced per snap vs the total number of snaps the defense has played you’d get 48 sacks. If you add the snap counts from last season he comes out with 8.5 sacks. Last season it would’ve been 9.5 sacks. If he fell in our current rotation it’d be roughly half of that but he’d still have more sacks than any other dlinemen.

Obviously these numbers would change with a larger sample size but he’s produced when on the field. Wolfe shouldn’t be in our plans at his current salary vs his level of production, we should sit him out this game and get a good look at Walker especially since San Diego’s guards just got wrecked last game. I just don’t buy the numbers game VJ has been stating when we have a WR who only fair catches punts while Booker is already returning kicks.

Comment

You're giving this coaching staff way too much credit for evaluating talent.

Comment

I would have no idea what would lead you to that assumption. . Is it the flashes of good play we have seen in limited attempts? Or is it the fact this coaching staff has made such great judgement calls from game plan to personnel to situational play calling to adjustments? Or maybe its the way this coaching staff doesn't throw the blame on players no matter how they play and they have their backs stand behind them. Surely it probably has something to do with how they use their players like Case in the pocket, Chubb in coverage, Walker last year, Roby this year, going away from the run when its working and the passing Offense is killing us. It must be cause they sure are great coaches who know how to get the best out of their players.
                            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

He starts in my Madden franchise (which has Lock as its QB)

Comment

Working...
                              X