Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets talk Fangio Defense - What Changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    A good read put together by Chicago people when Fangio was coming over from he Bears.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/01...ensive-scheme/
    Thanks for the link. Sounds like two-gap. That will require D-Linemen who command a double, and Inside Backers who can handle more complex reads than in one-gap. Interesting to know that Fangio employs a fair amount of Combo coverage. His odd front plays the way most other odd fronts do as far as run D is concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    IMO the biggest question about Vic Fangio's defense is whether he plays one-gap/spill or two-gap/funnel run D. I've heard it said he plays two-gap. If so, that would be a major change since Denver has played one-gap for the past four seasons. We shall see.
    A good read put together by Chicago people when Fangio was coming over from he Bears.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/01...ensive-scheme/

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Gsam View Post
    Hey Guys!

Pretty excited for the Fangio Hire.

What do you all expect to change on Defense under him?

Do you all see any glaring needs that we need to address in order to make his D run?

Personally I think we need to address LB. I don't believe the guys we have are fast enough for the type of D that Fangio runs. I would also see us addresses push on the D line as well.

What do you all see changing?
    IMO the biggest question about Vic Fangio's defense is whether he plays one-gap/spill or two-gap/funnel run D. I've heard it said he plays two-gap. If so, that would be a major change since Denver has played one-gap for the past four seasons. We shall see.

Leave a comment:

• Sam_Z
    replied
    I feel very strongly that these two studs will be in Denver next season!

Leave a comment:

• Saddletramp
    replied
    Kinda wish he was still here..

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by MileHighFive View Post
    Do you think the Broncos make a run at Earl Thomas and bring in a solid veteran leader, assuming he's 100% after his injury could help elevate our secondary and coach up the rookies!
    Absolutely if he checks out medically. Eddie Jackson was every bit as important to Fangio’s defense in Chicago as Mack was if not more. Jackson’s zone was the length of the numbers and he has that type of range so the CBs would force their man inside the numbers and play the short routes super aggressive. Earl Thomas has proven himself as one of the best centerfield Safeties of all time so if he still has that range then he should be a top priority FA signing. Then Simmons can use his length and jumping ability to clog up throwing lanes.

Leave a comment:

• darryn16
    replied
    Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
    imo, woods is out the door. There are a couple teams looking at him for their DB coach
    He can follow VJ to the Cardinals!!!

Leave a comment:

• BroncosIsLife
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoFanSam View Post
    Agreed! Gregg is a solid choice
    With him being so close to a HC and other teams 'wanting him as HC' would he be focused on the Denver defense or have his head in the headcoaching clouds miles away like McCoy was....

Leave a comment:

• BroncoFanSam
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Gregg Williams was let go. Bring him in.
    Agreed! Gregg is a solid choice

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    imo, woods is out the door. There are a couple teams looking at him for their DB coach
    He did not do a good job and was called out publicly by the HC for his performance.

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    he is a pretty solid 3-4 guy. he is also a ILB guy. so i expect us to change our drafting priority. i think this may be the best set of pass rusher he has ever worked with.
    We are likely to be thinner now this season at Rusher. Ray and Barrett may well both be gone. So our depth is now Holland and that is about it.

You think Fangio will even have a DC? I see him calling his own defense
    He should. getting a DC should allow him to have another Defensive mind to add to the team and our planning process.

Originally posted by Saddletramp View Post
    and with a losing season, that's not really something to brag about.
    No it likely has a lot to do with our scores being higher and other team respecting Manning more than Case. So they threw the ball rather than run the ball like they did this year on us.

Leave a comment:

• Sam_Z
    replied
    Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
    No we won't.
    ??? Elaborate

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by MHS View Post
    I will just be happy to stop seeing Miller and Chubb drop into coverage so much..... seemed like Woods had them doing that a lot, more so in the beginning of the year.
    that may not happen.

Leave a comment:

• MHS
    replied
    I will just be happy to stop seeing Miller and Chubb drop into coverage so much..... seemed like Woods had them doing that a lot, more so in the beginning of the year.

Leave a comment:

• Chop_Block
    replied
    Originally posted by thescienceguy View Post
    apparently Vic runs a lot of zone, so that'll be a big change. maybe this will help Roby?
    All teams run a lot of zone, especially on running downs. Even what looks like press usually turns into some form of zone. Sure there are teams who put their corners into one on one more often because they want to blitz, but that's about the only time. Fans who think we need to play man on man across the board are living in the 60s. Usually teams with strong d lines can run press coverage and Fangio, I think, would prefer that if he has the corners, D Line and Inside LBs to get it done.
    What I've seen of the Bears this year is encouraging. The genius of his game plans and defensive calls is how he manipulates and confuses the QBs on who is over the top on which receivers. He uses his D Linemen, LBs and safeties in really creative coverages and it seems to be very effective at stopping tight ends and running backs. Just watch what he does with the LBs and nickel/dime corners. If I'm the opposing QB, I don't know how they know who is actually going to be short and over the top on my tight end.

I'm fine with the Fangio hire on keeping our D strong, but I don't think D is our problem.

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    first off....long time no see

2nd....not yet. Maybe, but he has a long ways to go. I am unsure if Harris can be a #1.
    Good to see you. :thumb:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X