Elway: Keenum short term solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Will you stop pissing on my pipedream? Please?

I am sure Elway knows exactly who he wants and none of us will know until he wants us to know.

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    My bad, was not the intention. Elway tends to telegraph his desired first round picks, and he's spent a lot of time scouting Lock - multiple games plus his bowl game. But obviously, things can change. Once Scangarello gets hired, he'll have a say in which QB he wants along with Fangio. Maybe it'll be Murray, depending on interviews and the combine.
    I was only jerking your chain PA....
    I hope we get Murray at 1. I am dreaming of a deal that gets us Mayfield also. Give the Browns Keenum, Roby and Bolles.. And some 4th rnd picks (several).
    [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
    Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
      Elway in all likelihood wants the prototypical quarterback - pass from the pocket with a running threat as a secondary option. Arm strength also relatively high on the list, along with height. Lock fits all those descriptions, Murray will likely be far too short for him to consider. Reports are already out there from Allbright that the Broncos aren't looking at Murray, whereas they've scouted Lock and come away impressed.

https://www.mighty1090.com/episode/b...rray-is-split/
      Perhaps. I thought I'd read somewhere that his scouting of Keenum had changed his philosophy somewhat on the QB position. I'll also point out Elway could have drafted Josh Allen last year, but didn't. If ever there was a QB to entice Elway with pure physical skills it would have been Allen.

Comment

• Originally posted by gerontion View Post
        Perhaps. I thought I'd read somewhere that his scouting of Keenum had changed his philosophy somewhat on the QB position. I'll also point out Elway could have drafted Josh Allen last year, but didn't. If ever there was a QB to entice Elway with pure physical skills it would have been Allen.
        He should have drafted Allen or Rosen. Big mistake to pass on them as both are arm talents and would give us optimism.

Comment

• I really hope the target is Lock. The more I watch him the more I like him. Not as strong of an arm as Allan but better placement on the deep ball IMO

Comment

Yep. He was also a big fan of Mayfield, which tells you his QB priorities have changed. Less big arm big size, more accuracy and football IQ. A good change imo.

I like Lock, he's my QB2, but I don't think he's what the team is looking for. Especially with all the rumors of our interest. We let our rumored interest in Mayfield and Darnold get us leapfrogged last year, I'd have to think the FO isn't dumb enough to let it happen the exact same way two years in a row. I think Elway, the savvy business man he is, is playing the game to get someone to trade ahead of us for Lock, dropping another preferred prospect in our laps.

But Allen was the QB we scouted most last year, especially in terms of actual game attendance. Elway was there to watch several Wyoming games himself, more so than Missouri this year. Who knows..
            Last edited by Papa-pwn; 01-21-2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
              Yep. He was also a big fan of Mayfield, which tells you his QB priorities have changed. Less big arm big size, more accuracy and football IQ. A good change imo.

I like Lock, he's my QB2, but I don't think he's what the team is looking for. Especially with all the rumors of our interest. We let our rumored interest in Mayfield and Darnold get us leapfrogged last year, I'd have to think the FO isn't dumb enough to let it happen the exact same way two years in a row. I think Elway, the savvy business man he is, is playing the game to get someone to trade ahead of us for Lock, dropping another preferred prospect in our laps.

But Allen was the QB we scouted most last year, especially in terms of actual game attendance. Elway was there to watch several Wyoming games himself, more so than Missouri this year. Who knows..
              Agreed, Why would we tell everyone we want Lock right now??? Elway is just trying to drive the price/interest in Lock so the guy he likes will slide just a little further.

Comment

• Denver’s guy is Lock! -predraft
                Denver has NO interest in Murray! -predraft
                WAS leapfrogs Denver to take Lock

.... Denver selects Murray

S M O K E S C R E E N
                -GB2

Comment

There is nothing to figure out lol. He got extremely lucky. Watch the games, it's astoundingly obvious. There's very little "wow what a great pass" but tons of "wow what a miracle catch", or "wow what an easy INT he just dropped", or "wow that WR broke that 5 yard slant for 40 yards!".

Keenum is exactly as we saw last year. He was right in line with his career averages. The only difference is 2017 featured a huge amount of luck.
                  It is kind of comical with these dismissive - burn down the house comments!

No, Keenum did not rely on luck for the 16 games he played. Neither Fran Tarkenton or the players that deemed that Keenum was one of the best players in NFL in 2017 were idiots, neither in football terms nor in general terms. Elway and staff were not idiots when they went after Case Keenum!

We had 6 losses by less than a score and 2 wins by more than one. That means that we were close, and that individual mistakes by many different players made a difference.
                  Of these the QB is the most visible. Both in yards and scoring we ranked in the bottom third, which does not indicate that we should single out a single player.

It is clear that Keenum is not a put the team on your back kind of QB, but we also don't really have someone on offense that does that. Hopefully, we can get substantiel production going next year, because our record in drafting QB's does not indicate that we will have much success along that line.

Comment

• Case Keenum did some decent stuff this year, and maybe with a better o-line he could be more productive?
                    I believe after he got his 25 million dollars in guarantees, he didn't care as much, didn't study as hard, and maybe got a little lazy.
                    (IMO)

Comment

If I had to guess, he learned from drafting only on arm talent alone in Paxton Lynch. He probably wanted someone with a personality far from Lynch - Mayfield's alpha persona. Lock doesn't quite fit that, but his recent pressers at the senior bowl do show that he is confident person.
                      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                        If I had to guess, he learned from drafting only on arm talent alone in Paxton Lynch. He probably wanted someone with a personality far from Lynch - Mayfield's alpha persona. Lock doesn't quite fit that, but his recent pressers at the senior bowl do show that he is confident person.
                        I read a report on walterfootball.com that Lock has the physical tools of Jay Cutler but the personality of Eli Manning. He is described as being a bit quiet and nerdy.

Comment

I read a report on walterfootball.com that Lock has the physical tools of Jay Cutler but the personality of Eli Manning. He is described as being a bit quiet and nerdy.
                          Didn't seem that way at all yesterday. He definitely reminded me of Cutler with his personality. Even his face, too. Lol

Comment

Didn't seem that way at all yesterday. He definitely reminded me of Cutler with his personality. Even his face, too. Lol
                            How so? I listened to his interview on Orange and Blue 760 where he seemed polite and engaging.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                              Joe Flacco is a little over 6'6". He quarterbacked the Ravens to victory in Super Bowl XLVII, and was MVP in that game. In the playoff run that year, he threw 11 TDs and 0 interceptions.
                              I agree. Flacco though was nearly about to be cut prior to his flipping of the switch in that post-season. I'd also look at Nick Folles. Folles is just about the same height as Flacco at around 6ft6.

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                              Agreed, Why would we tell everyone we want Lock right now??? Elway is just trying to drive the price/interest in Lock so the guy he likes will slide just a little further.
                              You're assuming that what leaks form our FO is being "controlled". If Elway is trusting the wrong people or the wrong types of people then it is entirely possible that they are letting slip details. Accurate details and not "controlled"

Comment

Working...
                              X