Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rich Scangarello new OC - Official

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • chessic
    replied
    I really like what I’m reading here. But nearly all the coaches are new and it’s reasonable to expect growing pains. I hope people here aren’t calling for a total rebuild after the first loss or two.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mel B.
    replied
    http://www.espn.com/blog/denver-bron...eliable-scheme

    New Broncos offensive coordinator aims to go back to old, reliable scheme

    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- For the Broncos' offense, it's time to go back to the old reliable.

    Each time the franchise has put a shiny, new Lombardi Trophy in the lobby of the team complex after a Super Bowl win, the team has used the foundation of the same offensive playbook to do it.

    Sure, the Broncos had a quarterback who has since been enshrined in Canton in John Elway for the first two title wins and a quarterback who will be enshrined at the first opportunity in Peyton Manning for the third win. But Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak used the guts of the same offense as they tried to change with the times and their personnel.

    It's the same offense Shanahan taught to Kubiak, Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay and San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan. It hasn't exactly gone out of style, and perhaps it won't require a hearty rebuild on that side of the roster. With that, Rich Scangarello, Kyle Shanahan's former quarterbacks coach, has been entrusted with fixing what the Broncos need to repair the most.

    “I think things have been added [to the base offensive scheme] as guys have moved through the years. I think we added some things in Washington, after [Denver]," Mike Shanahan said. “You’re just always looking for matchups to give you a chance to win those big games, but it’s good to see, and it’s proven."

    New Broncos head coach Vic Fangio initially talked to Kubiak about being on the Broncos’ offensive staff -- Kubiak had been in the Broncos’ personnel department -- but no deal was worked out over the construction of the offensive staff, and Kubiak accepted a job with the Minnesota Vikings. Elway and Fangio had their collective eye on Scangarello and quickly pivoted to hire him as offensive coordinator.

    “I like the basis of his learning, the people he’s been around and the offense that he believes in," Fangio said. “That’s No. 1. I like the run game, the play-action game and the deceptives off of it. That’s the ground work of what he’s been around and believes in. We’ll evolve the rest of it based on our players going forward."

    Even in these pass-happy times, much like Kyle Shanahan and McVay, much like Mike Shanahan always felt, Scangarello believes there is a place for the run game in what the Broncos will do. But Fangio has been clear as well that the Broncos need to challenge defenses with misdirection, motions and personnel groupings others have used successfully.

    “Staying ahead in this league -- I think you’ve seen it with the misdirection," Scangarello said. “A big thing that’s in vogue is the fly sweep and the action that comes off of it. Creating different ways to attack a defense, and with that can come innovative ways to run the ball as well … I’m excited to take on that challenge. But that, to me, is how you stay ahead, and you’re innovative and balanced."

    There is risk in Scangarello. He has called plays at the collegiate level but never in the NFL. But the Broncos, after the struggles of the past two seasons especially, wanted a playcaller with some recent experience in college football to mesh with the experience in an NFL system.

    Scangarello knows what he’s getting into. The Broncos have used four starting quarterbacks the past two seasons, and they have finished 24th and tied for 26th in scoring in those two seasons. The passing game has been particularly troublesome, even as the Broncos have successfully run the ball.

    The Broncos tied for 24th in passing touchdowns this past season and tied for 25th in passing touchdowns in 2017 while finishing in the top 10 in interceptions in both of those years -- tied for ninth-most in 2018 and second-most in 2017.

    All the while, the Broncos consistently struggled to protect the passer while trying to make the three-wide-receiver set the team’s base formation on offense. The Broncos surrendered the third-most sacks in the league in 2017.

    “I see an offense that’s willing to take shots, that’s aggressive but is detailed in every way," Scangarello said. “That takes care of the football, that empowers its players to be the best that they can be by putting them in a position to be successful. I think our offense empowers the quarterback to have success and can adapt to his skill set."

    That's a tall order, given that since 2005, the Broncos haven’t finished among the league’s top 15 in scoring with anybody but a healthy Manning at quarterback. The Broncos figure to keep the process moving by giving heavy consideration to adding to their quarterback depth chart -- Case Keenum has just one year left on his deal -- in both free agency and the draft.

    “We’ve got work to do, a lot of work to do," said Elway, the Broncos’ president of football operations/general manager. “We’re going to work our butts off to get it right. But I like what Vic wants and how he thinks we can get there."

    Leave a comment:


  • Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
    https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/2...s-offense-nfl/

    Rich Scangarello explains Broncos’ new offensive vision
    Scangarello will call NFL plays for the first time next season


    Rich Scangarello’s football philosophy will guide the Broncos’ offense in a new direction next season.

    Where will it lead? Scangarello, hired away from Kyle Shanahan’s 49ers staff, was introduced as Denver’s next offensive coordinator Thursday at UCHealth Training Center. Scangarello coached quarterbacks the past two seasons in San Francisco and will be a first-time NFL play caller in 2019. Here is a sampling of responses at his news conference.

    On his introduction to new Broncos coach Vic Fangio: “I knew that to be in the NFL you had to grow your circle and your network. I kind of sought out some guys I thought were very talented coaches and great teachers that people I’d been around had high regard for. I made an effort to try and meet Vic. He was gracious enough to sit down with me in Indianapolis (at the NFL combine) and we just kind of hit it off and connected. I really appreciated his time and the things he said. We just felt a connection in that way that he sees the game a lot like I do. That’s really how we started our relationship from the beginning and that was a little over a year ago.”

    On his offensive philosophy: “My roots have always been in the zone run system that Kyle Shanahan has run. I started that with my first mentor, my first head coach I worked with, Tom Cable (in Oakland), and it evolved over the years. I see an offense that’s willing to take shots, that’s aggressive but is detailed in every way, that takes care of the football, that empowers its players to be the best they can be by putting them in the position to be successful. I think our offensive power is the quarterback to have success and we can adapt to his skill set. As we build this as a group and a staff, I’m looking forward to doing that. We can make that happen.”

    On the returning roster: “I’m excited about the pieces we do have. I thought they did an outstanding job in the draft last year. They played a lot of young players very early in their career and you can see them evolve over the season. … I love the core group and I’m excited to work with them.”

    On quarterback Case Keenum: “I’m excited to work with Case. We were not in the market for a quarterback in San Fransisco last year, but he was a free agent and I did my due diligence (scouting) on him. He really played outstanding in Minnesota (the year before). He was a big part of helping them get to where they got in that NFC Championship game. He’s gritty, he’s a winner, he’s competitive and you could see that on the film. … Each (quarterback) is a little unique and you have to adapt to them. I see traits that we can help Case be the best he can be. That’s our job as an offense and the players around him to empower him and really play confident like he was in Minnesota.”

    On modernizing the offense: “I think the game is always evolving. It can touch on a lot of things. There’s a perception that college football has evolved in a completely different direction than the NFL and that’s trickling into our game. So there are those fresh ideas which you’re starting to see with the RPOs and different things people are doing and that can help the quarterback. … I respect Kyle Shanahan as much as anyone I’ve been around as a coach. His mind is brilliant. I’ve learned so much from him. But the reality of it is that he is always evolving every year. … We’ll take that same approach.”
    Thank you for the summary. I watched the pressers yesterday (his and the other new coords). I am really exited. It is only words at this point but I do think we finally are going to get a OC who adjusts his system to the talents of his players and their abilities as a team.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by Orangecrush21 View Post
    Which Qb in the draft would work best in his system?
    Watching his presser he seems smart enough to adjust his system to the skills of the QB he has.

    Leave a comment:


  • EddieMac
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    Excited about the change. Hopefully Scan lives up to the "bright young coach" moniker.

    Was disappointed to hear his answer concerning his lack of input on a drafted QB. That combined with no coaches (Just Elway and Co) at the Senior Bowl week to evaluate the young QBs. Ultimate decision has to be the FO but IMO the new OC should be heavily involved in the selection of any QB that he will be expected to develop into a franchise QB. Honestly hope the FO has already determined that the QB is not there and didn't want to waste the OC's time.

    I still think they take Mullen’s from san Fran.

    Leave a comment:


  • FR Tim
    replied
    Excited about the change. Hopefully Scan lives up to the "bright young coach" moniker.

    Was disappointed to hear his answer concerning his lack of input on a drafted QB. That combined with no coaches (Just Elway and Co) at the Senior Bowl week to evaluate the young QBs. Ultimate decision has to be the FO but IMO the new OC should be heavily involved in the selection of any QB that he will be expected to develop into a franchise QB. Honestly hope the FO has already determined that the QB is not there and didn't want to waste the OC's time.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mel B.
    replied
    Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
    If you are a coach in the NFL, and bad-mouth the players who you have under contract, then you won't be a coach long. We will find out in Free Agency and the Draft what conclusions the Broncos coaching staff have come up with conccerning the QB situation and Keenum, in particular. It's way too early, now. But yeah, I saw Scangarello speaking in terms of getting Keenum back to where he was in Minnesota. We'll know more at the end of April.
    Yeah that was my point in saying he was just being "politically correct' cause what coach, especially a new coach, in their right mind is going to say less than positive things about a player...especially one that they may have to coach.

    Leave a comment:


  • Freyaka
    replied
    Originally posted by L.M. View Post
    CK requires a lot of 'adaptation'. I hope Rich can do it or it will be another long season of groaning about QB ineptitude.
    I don't by any means think Case is a better than average QB, but he can play at an average level with an OC that properly uses him. We didn't properly utilize him last year so we got far below average play out of him.

    We still need to replace him, but if we're stuck with him starting for one more year, he can play at a higher level. I think if we run a Kyle Shannahan style of offense, Case will be right at home in that system.

    Leave a comment:


  • gtown53
    replied
    Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
    I really think he's just being 'politically correct' (lying) about how and what he feels about Keenum.
    If you are a coach in the NFL, and bad-mouth the players who you have under contract, then you won't be a coach long. We will find out in Free Agency and the Draft what conclusions the Broncos coaching staff have come up with conccerning the QB situation and Keenum, in particular. It's way too early, now. But yeah, I saw Scangarello speaking in terms of getting Keenum back to where he was in Minnesota. We'll know more at the end of April.

    Leave a comment:


  • MHOC
    replied
    He had Mullen’s watch and study Case. He must see something in Case. After the interview today if he or Ed shine they will be a HC next year.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mel B.
    replied
    Originally posted by L.M. View Post
    CK requires a lot of 'adaptation'. I hope Rich can do it or it will be another long season of groaning about QB ineptitude.
    I really think he's just being 'politically correct' (lying) about how and what he feels about Keenum.

    Leave a comment:


  • L.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
    On quarterback Case Keenum: “I’m excited to work with Case. We were not in the market for a quarterback in San Fransisco last year, but he was a free agent and I did my due diligence (scouting) on him. He really played outstanding in Minnesota (the year before). He was a big part of helping them get to where they got in that NFC Championship game. He’s gritty, he’s a winner, he’s competitive and you could see that on the film. … Each (quarterback) is a little unique and you have to adapt to them. I see traits that we can help Case be the best he can be. That’s our job as an offense and the players around him to empower him and really play confident like he was in Minnesota.”
    CK requires a lot of 'adaptation'. I hope Rich can do it or it will be another long season of groaning about QB ineptitude.

    Leave a comment:


  • DENVERSB50CHAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
    https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/2...s-offense-nfl/

    Rich Scangarello explains Broncos’ new offensive vision
    Scangarello will call NFL plays for the first time next season


    Rich Scangarello’s football philosophy will guide the Broncos’ offense in a new direction next season.

    Where will it lead? Scangarello, hired away from Kyle Shanahan’s 49ers staff, was introduced as Denver’s next offensive coordinator Thursday at UCHealth Training Center. Scangarello coached quarterbacks the past two seasons in San Francisco and will be a first-time NFL play caller in 2019. Here is a sampling of responses at his news conference.

    On his introduction to new Broncos coach Vic Fangio: “I knew that to be in the NFL you had to grow your circle and your network. I kind of sought out some guys I thought were very talented coaches and great teachers that people I’d been around had high regard for. I made an effort to try and meet Vic. He was gracious enough to sit down with me in Indianapolis (at the NFL combine) and we just kind of hit it off and connected. I really appreciated his time and the things he said. We just felt a connection in that way that he sees the game a lot like I do. That’s really how we started our relationship from the beginning and that was a little over a year ago.”

    On his offensive philosophy: “My roots have always been in the zone run system that Kyle Shanahan has run. I started that with my first mentor, my first head coach I worked with, Tom Cable (in Oakland), and it evolved over the years. I see an offense that’s willing to take shots, that’s aggressive but is detailed in every way, that takes care of the football, that empowers its players to be the best they can be by putting them in the position to be successful. I think our offensive power is the quarterback to have success and we can adapt to his skill set. As we build this as a group and a staff, I’m looking forward to doing that. We can make that happen.”

    On the returning roster: “I’m excited about the pieces we do have. I thought they did an outstanding job in the draft last year. They played a lot of young players very early in their career and you can see them evolve over the season. … I love the core group and I’m excited to work with them.”

    On quarterback Case Keenum: “I’m excited to work with Case. We were not in the market for a quarterback in San Fransisco last year, but he was a free agent and I did my due diligence (scouting) on him. He really played outstanding in Minnesota (the year before). He was a big part of helping them get to where they got in that NFC Championship game. He’s gritty, he’s a winner, he’s competitive and you could see that on the film. … Each (quarterback) is a little unique and you have to adapt to them. I see traits that we can help Case be the best he can be. That’s our job as an offense and the players around him to empower him and really play confident like he was in Minnesota.”

    On modernizing the offense: “I think the game is always evolving. It can touch on a lot of things. There’s a perception that college football has evolved in a completely different direction than the NFL and that’s trickling into our game. So there are those fresh ideas which you’re starting to see with the RPOs and different things people are doing and that can help the quarterback. … I respect Kyle Shanahan as much as anyone I’ve been around as a coach. His mind is brilliant. I’ve learned so much from him. But the reality of it is that he is always evolving every year. … We’ll take that same approach.”


    I am super excited !!

    Leave a comment:


  • Mel B.
    replied
    https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/2...s-offense-nfl/

    Rich Scangarello explains Broncos’ new offensive vision
    Scangarello will call NFL plays for the first time next season


    Rich Scangarello’s football philosophy will guide the Broncos’ offense in a new direction next season.

    Where will it lead? Scangarello, hired away from Kyle Shanahan’s 49ers staff, was introduced as Denver’s next offensive coordinator Thursday at UCHealth Training Center. Scangarello coached quarterbacks the past two seasons in San Francisco and will be a first-time NFL play caller in 2019. Here is a sampling of responses at his news conference.

    On his introduction to new Broncos coach Vic Fangio: “I knew that to be in the NFL you had to grow your circle and your network. I kind of sought out some guys I thought were very talented coaches and great teachers that people I’d been around had high regard for. I made an effort to try and meet Vic. He was gracious enough to sit down with me in Indianapolis (at the NFL combine) and we just kind of hit it off and connected. I really appreciated his time and the things he said. We just felt a connection in that way that he sees the game a lot like I do. That’s really how we started our relationship from the beginning and that was a little over a year ago.”

    On his offensive philosophy: “My roots have always been in the zone run system that Kyle Shanahan has run. I started that with my first mentor, my first head coach I worked with, Tom Cable (in Oakland), and it evolved over the years. I see an offense that’s willing to take shots, that’s aggressive but is detailed in every way, that takes care of the football, that empowers its players to be the best they can be by putting them in the position to be successful. I think our offensive power is the quarterback to have success and we can adapt to his skill set. As we build this as a group and a staff, I’m looking forward to doing that. We can make that happen.”

    On the returning roster: “I’m excited about the pieces we do have. I thought they did an outstanding job in the draft last year. They played a lot of young players very early in their career and you can see them evolve over the season. … I love the core group and I’m excited to work with them.”

    On quarterback Case Keenum: “I’m excited to work with Case. We were not in the market for a quarterback in San Fransisco last year, but he was a free agent and I did my due diligence (scouting) on him. He really played outstanding in Minnesota (the year before). He was a big part of helping them get to where they got in that NFC Championship game. He’s gritty, he’s a winner, he’s competitive and you could see that on the film. … Each (quarterback) is a little unique and you have to adapt to them. I see traits that we can help Case be the best he can be. That’s our job as an offense and the players around him to empower him and really play confident like he was in Minnesota.”

    On modernizing the offense: “I think the game is always evolving. It can touch on a lot of things. There’s a perception that college football has evolved in a completely different direction than the NFL and that’s trickling into our game. So there are those fresh ideas which you’re starting to see with the RPOs and different things people are doing and that can help the quarterback. … I respect Kyle Shanahan as much as anyone I’ve been around as a coach. His mind is brilliant. I’ve learned so much from him. But the reality of it is that he is always evolving every year. … We’ll take that same approach.”

    Leave a comment:


  • Fantaztic7
    replied
    Excerpt from article by Matt Miller:

    “The Denver Broncos hired former San Francisco 49ers quarterbacks coach Rich Scangarello as their new offensive coordinator, and folks around the league are already taking notice. One former general manager texted me to say that Scangarello will be a head coach in the near future.”

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X