This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any QB coaching candidates?

I haven’t heard a thing about any candidates being considered but who does everyone here think would be a good fit.

I think it’s very important that the broncos figure it out now so they can move on with their QB search. Especially with teams like the redskins expected to leap frog them.

Elway has done a great job so far this offseason but we saw him miss out on two QBs last season during the draft. He knows better and needs to get on this now!

Elway “missed” on the two Joshes. Neither of which was overly impressive.

I don’t think those can be properly considered misses.

If his guy is available this time, I’m sure he will take a quarterback.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
      Elway “missed” on the two Joshes. Neither of which was overly impressive.

I don’t think those can be properly considered misses.

If his guy is available this time, I’m sure he will take a quarterback.
      Oh I understand that completely I don’t think any one of those two guys were a consideration but I’m talking about the fact that Elway wanted Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold yet he did not act fast enough to move up in the draft to get one of those two guys.

That is my main point!

This time around he needs to listen to Scangarello and whoever the new quarterbacks coach is going to be.

They need to start working early and explore all scenarios in order to move up and get the guy that they want before hand.

Before a team like the Washington Redskins leapfrogs them the way that the New York Jets did last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
        Oh I understand that completely I don’t think any one of those two guys were a consideration but I’m talking about the fact that Elway wanted Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold yet he did not act fast enough to move up in the draft to get one of those two guys.

That is my main point!

This time around he needs to listen to Scangarello and whoever the new quarterbacks coach is going to be.

They need to start working early and explore all scenarios in order to move up and get the guy that they want before hand.

Before a team like the Washington Redskins leapfrogs them the way that the New York Jets did last year.
        I would have liked us to get either Baker, Darnold as well.

The thing is the Browns weren't going to trade that pick and they wanted Baker. I think the Giants got what they wanted but they would not have switched places with us because the believed the Browns would take Saquan Barkley before they got a chance at him. The Jets got exactly what they wanted and I think they wanted Darnold more than Baker Mayfield. So unless Denver offered a ridiculous haul of picks/players it hard for me to believe we really could have gotten the attention of the Giants, Browns or Jets. But that is me guessing after the fact too.

Comment

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
          I would have liked us to get either Baker, Darnold as well.

The thing is the Browns weren't going to trade that pick and they wanted Baker. I think the Giants got what they wanted but they would not have switched places with us because the believed the Browns would take Saquan Barkley before they got a chance at him. The Jets got exactly what they wanted and I think they wanted Darnold more than Baker Mayfield. So unless Denver offered a ridiculous haul of picks/players it hard for me to believe we really could have gotten the attention of the Giants, Browns or Jets. But that is me guessing after the fact too.
          I think Elway understood that there was no shot a baker Mayfield but if he truly wanted Darnold, then he should’ve made a move for the number three spot before the Jets did.

I know it is a lot to give up like the Jets did but you have to figure out what is more important.

Do need a franchise quarterback and how bad do we need that franchise quarterback?

John Elway has to make a decision and figure out which is more of a priority, going cheap with the Brock Osweilers and case Keenums or paying the cost to get a Dennis Haskins or Drew Lock.

Drew Lock may not be so high on other people’s draft boards however he could go somewhere in the top eight so John Elway would have to move up to even have a shot at him.

Comment

Peyton Manning would be awesome to have in that room. Has anyone watched the series "Detail" on ESPN with him breaking down quarterback tape ? It's awesome viewing, and I can't help but think that Elway should be reaching out to him to at least be an advisory member of the staff, at least during the pre-draft process here while they search for a quarterback potentially. Elway should be using every relationship and resource available to him if a quarterback is going to be targeted this year in the draft. I wonder if Peyton will ever transition into coaching ? I know good and well if I was a quarterback, I would be listening to what he had to say in a meeting room, Clint Kubiak, not so much.

Comment

For me I see this QB coach situation a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. For example. IF we want to go more young modern offense then we need to grab a QB coach who can help teach a young QB to scramble and play the QB position. If we want to stick with the more traditional pocket passer-type QB then we need to go for a QB coach who can teach that style.

I think PM, as was mentioned above, would be a great asset regardless who we go for because we'd want him to help teach the young QB how to read and manipulate defenses.

This bring me to my last point and issue. What offense are we running? if we don't know that or at least a general style then how can we possibly make a proper coaching decision for the QB?

Comment

That is my main point!

after the colts traded down no one else wanted to. i don't think you can blame him and it would have cost to much to move up.
                sigpic
                oakland raders gm
                latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                  For me I see this QB coach situation a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. For example. IF we want to go more young modern offense then we need to grab a QB coach who can help teach a young QB to scramble and play the QB position. If we want to stick with the more traditional pocket passer-type QB then we need to go for a QB coach who can teach that style.

I think PM, as was mentioned above, would be a great asset regardless who we go for because we'd want him to help teach the young QB how to read and manipulate defenses.

This bring me to my last point and issue. What offense are we running? if we don't know that or at least a general style then how can we possibly make a proper coaching decision for the QB?
                  I completely agree with you on this, but I’m sure our style of offense will be one that mirrors or atleast similar to Kyle Shanahans.
                  Therefore I feel we’d need a QB coach familiar with that particular style!

Hmm looks like we may be calling the 49ers again! Lol

Another off the wall scenario we could explore would be Mike Shanahan if Joe Eliss would truly endorse the decision as he said he would but I know it’s a very far fetched idea!

Comment

Of the 5 QBs available to go in the first round, I think its safe to stand pat. Either we get one of those 5 or a BPA at CB ILB at 10. 3 pass rushers go early too, so we are in a great spot.
                    2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

I think Elway understood that there was no shot a baker Mayfield but if he truly wanted Darnold, then he should’ve made a move for the number three spot before the Jets did.

I know it is a lot to give up like the Jets did but you have to figure out what is more important.

Do need a franchise quarterback and how bad do we need that franchise quarterback?

John Elway has to make a decision and figure out which is more of a priority, going cheap with the Brock Osweilers and case Keenums or paying the cost to get a Dennis Haskins or Drew Lock.

Drew Lock may not be so high on other people’s draft boards however he could go somewhere in the top eight so John Elway would have to move up to even have a shot at him.
                      Exactly. Elway needs to identify who he wants (at QB) and then pull out the stops to get them. We could miss again, but we'll never hit the target if we don't shoot. What I really dislike is the "see who falls to us" idea when it comes to QB. Baker was like 3rd QB according to the draft experts, but it was apparently an easy decision for Dorsey. The Jets didn't sit pat in order to secure Darnold. Mahomes was, according to some, going to be a 3rd rounder until late in the process. I recall many being shocked Dorsey jumped up to grab him instead of Watson. Even the Texans jumping up to get Watson surprised some. It just seems so obvious in this day and age, if you want a QB you have to go get him. You can't wait to get a super high draft pick to come your way.
                      I don't know who that QB will be but I will be extremely disappointed if we go the Case Keenum route again. And, if our guy is not in this years' draft, I'm OK to wait a year provided the brain trust is working to get our guy when we can.

Comment

I see your point. If Elway/Coaching Staff believe Lock is our guy and he doesn't all of the sudden become the number 1 QB prospect I don't have a problem moving up for him to 8. I am curious to see after the combine and pro days where Murray, Grier, Lock, Haskins, Jones all grade out according to the "experts". I agree with a few posters that we may not need to move at all if we believe all of those guys are capable of leading us in the future.

Comment

Working...
                        X