Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUPERBOWL LIII super official real thread thingy...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    As much as I dislike him, full credit to Josh McDaniels for the fourth quarter. The package they used on the touchdown drive was something they didn't practice leading up to the game, and it wasn't in the game plan. They went with their jumbo personnel, which meant the Rams matched them, and then they spread it out, which meant that they'd get great matchups to throw against. Brady made some really nice throws on that drive, but McDaniels showed how smart he was by using that.
    Agreed is was a good move that caught the Rams off guard. We will probably see more detail in the shows they release just before the 2019 season like we did when the Pats won against Atlanta (the show from that year is where the Pats talked a bit about how they scout refs and used a certain play call to force a penalty on a crew who was likely to call that penalty).

    I give them credit for coming up with that but if they were smart they would have done it sooner imo. Did they have it in the back pocket waiting for the right moment or were they getting hammered and going to the bottom of the well on ideas? Either way they get credit for something a lot of teams probably can not do. I bet we see on the videos they will make.

    Another player on TV said before the SB that is the advantage of being a coach and QB for so many years. At some point they can go "hey remember that one thing we did 9 years ago against that one team? Nothing else is working so lets try that". I think it was Reggie Wayne who said something to that effect.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Rastic View Post
      It's kind of funny seeing and hearing people's thoughts on the SB the day after. Lots of people upset about the game being boring. Maybe I am in a large minority but I actually enjoyed the game.

      I enjoyed watching both offenses struggle bad, bigly, and worse and I enjoyed watching both defenses make plays when they needed to. I liked watching age overcome the upstart both in Belichick / McVay and Brady / Goff. I loved seeing the missed field goal and wondering if it would come down to the kickers in this game.

      High scoring games are for sure fun but this, for me at least, was a different kind of fun: teams unexpectedly struggling and fighting to not make any big, game changing mistakes and score, neither team playing much to its strength. Phillips calling a great defense against Brady / Belichick and Flores calling a superb defense against Goff / McVay. In the end it came down to determination and experience. A much more mental side of football than we are used to.

      It may not be the most glamorous SB, certainly not for the Patriots, but it was probably the most enjoyable win I have watched of theirs.

      My only gripe is I believe Hightower should have been MVP. For all that Edelman did during the game he wasn't the difference maker on offense, a prayer thrown to Gronk with a LB in coverage did more for them on offense than all of Edelman's great routes and receptions. Hightower though was all over the field on defense and instrumental in shutting down the Rams offense.
      I would not have minded a 17-10 defensive game but two FGs the first 3 quarters is just too much not getting it done for me. I could have tolerated it more if there was a ST score or a def score but 3-0 going to halftime and 3-3 going into the 4th is too much for me.
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Assassin27 View Post
        I'm with you. I hated the Pats when they were bad I hate them now and in the future.
        You must have been happy the year we played them twice in the regular season beating them both times
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

        Comment


        • Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
          I hate living in Boston today.

          The Pats fans were insufferable before. Forget about it. It’s worse. Darn you Rams.

          Darn you McVay. Don’t know what the heck you were doing out there but the moment was obviously too big for you.

          Not so much the offensive genius everyone said you were. Horrible play calling. Just putrid.
          McVay's OL was getting torn up pretty bad. I am not sure what could have been done but I think his youth finally was on display as he had no answer in his playbook for what the Pats were doing. Makes me feel better about going for Fangio than a young offensive mind specially after hearing Fangio's take on what a balanced offense is.

          People talking about how Goff was confused but imo it was actually the Rams OL who was having the worst game of the day.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

          Comment


          • Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
            One thing continues to hold true. Wade Phillips owns Tom Brady. The Rams defense did their job and then some last night, very disappointed in their offensive effort. Makes me happy we went with a veteran defensive guy as HC and not some hot shot young offensive guy.
            Funny how McVay and Goff talking about how they were outplayed.

            It was the offense imo

            Wade holding that offense to 3 points going into the 4th was maybe the best defensive effort I have seen in a Super Bowl. I mean that is Brady with coaches he has known for YEARS....that was one heck of a defensive performance.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              Funny how McVay and Goff talking about how they were outplayed.

              It was the offense imo

              Wade holding that offense to 3 points going into the 4th was maybe the best defensive effort I have seen in a Super Bowl. I mean that is Brady with coaches he has known for YEARS....that was one heck of a defensive performance.
              Yup, completely agree. Wade’s scheme was brilliant and a masterclass.

              Unfortunately, they couldn’t hold forever. My friends and I kept praying for a fumble or a pick 6 by Talib. Wasn’t meant to be

              But the Pats defense played soooooo much better than freaking Tom Brady.

              Can we please just call a thing a thing.

              Great defensive game. Brady kind of sucked in this game. Edelman was brilliant.

              The Rams defense was AMAZING!!!! When Goff threw the INT. Game over. So pissed.

              My Anti-Patriots Super Bowl party was over.
              Last edited by broncoslover115; 02-04-2019, 03:45 PM.
              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                Agreed is was a good move that caught the Rams off guard. We will probably see more detail in the shows they release just before the 2019 season like we did when the Pats won against Atlanta (the show from that year is where the Pats talked a bit about how they scout refs and used a certain play call to force a penalty on a crew who was likely to call that penalty).

                I give them credit for coming up with that but if they were smart they would have done it sooner imo. Did they have it in the back pocket waiting for the right moment or were they getting hammered and going to the bottom of the well on ideas? Either way they get credit for something a lot of teams probably can not do. I bet we see on the videos they will make.

                Another player on TV said before the SB that is the advantage of being a coach and QB for so many years. At some point they can go "hey remember that one thing we did 9 years ago against that one team? Nothing else is working so lets try that". I think it was Reggie Wayne who said something to that effect.
                I would be willing to bet that they just started watching the sub packages that the Rams were using and realized that in that package the Rams would have guys on that aren't great trying to cover in space, and they decided to see if they could exploit it?

                There's a reason they basically ran one play from the same formation (although they did flip the formation at least once) because they knew the LB covering down field wasn't going to have success.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                  Funny how McVay and Goff talking about how they were outplayed.

                  It was the offense imo

                  Wade holding that offense to 3 points going into the 4th was maybe the best defensive effort I have seen in a Super Bowl. I mean that is Brady with coaches he has known for YEARS....that was one heck of a defensive performance.

                  I would actually say the Patriots holding that offense to 3 points in the game, and 260 yards was more impressive. The Rams didn't give up points, but they gave up yardage, especially against the run, and they had trouble getting off the field. How long did the Patriots D hold that explosive offense to 5 plays or less? Through 8 drives they had topped out at 5 plays and 23 yards and they had punted 8 times.

                  Phillips game plan was good, the Patriots game plan, and execution, was better.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                    I would actually say the Patriots holding that offense to 3 points in the game, and 260 yards was more impressive. The Rams didn't give up points, but they gave up yardage, especially against the run, and they had trouble getting off the field. How long did the Patriots D hold that explosive offense to 5 plays or less? Through 8 drives they had topped out at 5 plays and 23 yards and they had punted 8 times.

                    Phillips game plan was good, the Patriots game plan, and execution, was better.
                    Yup, as you say it with much so much glee.
                    Last edited by broncoslover115; 02-04-2019, 04:08 PM.
                    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                      I would actually say the Patriots holding that offense to 3 points in the game, and 260 yards was more impressive. The Rams didn't give up points, but they gave up yardage, especially against the run, and they had trouble getting off the field. How long did the Patriots D hold that explosive offense to 5 plays or less? Through 8 drives they had topped out at 5 plays and 23 yards and they had punted 8 times.

                      Phillips game plan was good, the Patriots game plan, and execution, was better.
                      I understand your point as the Rams never broke through. The Rams are a young team, with a young qb, an OL that was broken 2 years ago and a young coach. The scheme the Pats used to tear down the Rams OL was impressive but imo a better coached / experienced team would have made changes. The Rams youth and lack of experience finally caught up with them

                      Tom Brady is the best qb to play in the Super Bowl who was with maybe the best coach ever to coach ever in the NFL. In addition was Brady's OC who has been in the Super Bowl with Brady 7 times. Holding that trio to 3 points going into the fourth qtr and 13 points total was by far the most impressive thing I have seen in a long time. The Patriots ability to completely shut down the Rams offense imo made what the Rams defense did that much more impressive.
                      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                        Yup, as you say it with much so much glee.
                        Only because it happened against McVay. He's the most overhyped coach since Chip Kelly. He does nothing that out of the box but gets credited like he's Belichick. And the fact that other NFL teams seem so desperate to hire anyone he's ever talked to is just stupid.

                        If what everyone says is true, and Gurley isn't injured then I expect that McVay may have lost the locker room and will not be with the Rams long term.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          I understand your point as the Rams never broke through. The Rams are a young team, with a young qb, an OL that was broken 2 years ago and a young coach. The scheme the Pats used to tear down the Rams OL was impressive but imo a better coached / experienced team would have made changes. The Rams youth and lack of experience finally caught up with them

                          Tom Brady is the best qb to play in the Super Bowl who was with maybe the best coach ever to coach ever in the NFL. In addition was Brady's OC who has been in the Super Bowl with Brady 7 times. Holding that trio to 3 points going into the fourth qtr and 13 points total was by far the most impressive thing I have seen in a long time. The Patriots ability to completely shut down the Rams offense imo made what the Rams defense did that much more impressive.
                          I agree. And the two adjustments they needed to make were so simple that it's ridiculous that they didn't make them. The first is using Todd Gurley for 75% of the snaps, if as everyone says, he was healthy. His ability to catch the ball out of the backfield would have changed the game completely.

                          The second was also easy the Patriots d-line was slanting towards the fly sweep. If jet sweep was going left to right, the Pats d-line was slanting the same way. In the first half this created a perfect storm because the Rams weren't running stretch (despite Romo continuously saying they were) they were pulling the backside guard and running a trap/power, but this allowed the centre to keep overshooting the slanting NT. The way to break this was simple, run the jet sweep motion from left to right and then have an RB counter back to the left. It was wide open and would have been a big gain. It also would have stopped the Patriots from continuing to slant the line, which would have opened up the jet and the stretch play.

                          Sean McVay showed that he's not as good as everyone credits him for. He might get there one day, but he failed to make any adjustments to help his team.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                            Goff had got to be all nerves. He's playing horrible. They need to work on short, quick routes, some screens, something to help him find a rythym. He's holding the ball far too long and taking bad sacks.
                            Goff played like he never SEEN a Football before in his life! One of the worst showings by him and the whole Rams Offense in Super Bowl history. Scratch that. THE WORST in history!
                            sigpicoh YEAH?

                            Comment


                            • [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                              Adopted player Lindsey

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                                Absolutely 110% can confirm I will never be doing that in my lifetime.

                                Just like non Steelers fans are not calling the 70’s Steelers the best dynasty ever like they were happy to have seen them play.
                                I did, up until the Patriots passed them...so did lots of others....
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X