This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    Potato patato... Bottom line, he was a terrible hire by Elway. He does not fit what we need, he cost too much money for an 0-4 qb and he was a huge mistake.

We can split hairs over "is it his fault he didn't score enough points, or the defenses fault for lacking the talent to prevent them from scoring points"

The bottom line is Elway screwed up and never should have signed flacco.

Just like Elway had continually screwed up at the qb position since Manning.
    I'm going to operate on a MAJOR assumption here...that Elway (and everyone affiliated with the team for that matter) was expecting a hell of a lot more from our defense this year. If you paired Flacco with a top-10 defense, you have a team that can at least compete.

Pair Flacco with a garbage defense and you have an 0-4 team.
    To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
      I'm going to operate on a MAJOR assumption here...that Elway (and everyone affiliated with the team for that matter) was expecting a hell of a lot more from our defense this year. If you paired Flacco with a top-10 defense, you have a team that can at least compete.

well there you go thinking again

there was nobody at all thinking that a supposed mastermind defensive guro would make this defense a top unit...NO ONE !!
      sigpic
      when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Problem is Elway already tried this approach with Keenum and it failed miserably, so then he goes back and tries again with Flacco and of course we are getting the same results.

It feels like this team has been moving sideways for 4 years now with no real plan for the future.

Comment

This cannot be said enough.

As many have mentioned, Flacco is not a long-term solution by any means. His original contract made that clear as day to everybody involved BUT it was an expectation with a defensive minded coach and a defense that, on paper, looked top 10 before the season began even with glaring issues at ILB and question in the secondary. Nobody could have seen the train wreck that the defense presently is. Based on that, it isn't a big leap to say that were those pieces not in place, Flacco might not have been signed in the off-season.

To cast blame at Flacco or Elway for singing him seems lazy and naive. There are other issues beyond question at Elway's feet, but Flacco really isn't one of them. I'd actually say the Osweiler debacle was worse, in terms of personnel decisions even though Os left in FA for a major pay day. The worse part is that we had Os to begin with or didn't move on from him sooner. Os leaving started the carousel of QBs that we are currently riding and that is a large part of this discussion. Flacco is incidental - a reasonable decision made in the midst of chaos.

Comment

• Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
            He was the best vet QB available
            That's the rub. Denver has not been an organization that drafts and starts a rookie right away. So, with that in mind, they acquired the best vet they could not knowing the defense would be this bad. I hope Lock comes back ready to play AND they have confidence in starting him. If they're squirrely about him, I would be wary of another Lynch situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
              That's the rub. Denver has not been an organization that drafts and starts a rookie right away. So, with that in mind, they acquired the best vet they could not knowing the defense would be this bad. I hope Lock comes back ready to play AND they have confidence in starting him. If they're squirrely about him, I would be wary of another Lynch situation.
              The problem is that this organization has not been serious about drafting a QB they really want. Lock wasn't high on their list, since he ended up being a second round pick, so it goes to show that they probably aren't going to default to him right away when he gets off IR. To me, that's a waste of a second round pick at the position if you aren't serious about him playing or growing in your organization. If you want to fix the position, stop messing around and move up in the draft for someone you are 100% sold on. Elway has instead opted for cast-offs from other organizations, believing that they will be the next Manning. Instead they are what the previous organization thought they were - backups. I've always maintained that aside from Manning, no franchise QB ever makes it to free agency. The only way to fix this is to draft someone and properly develop him. But because Elway doesn't want to deal with the developmental side of a QB, here we are paying off Keenum still and then Flacco for the next few years.

What a mess.
              Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                The problem is that this organization has not been serious about drafting a QB they really want. Lock wasn't high on their list, since he ended up being a second round pick, so it goes to show that they probably aren't going to default to him right away when he gets off IR. To me, that's a waste of a second round pick at the position if you aren't serious about him playing or growing in your organization. If you want to fix the position, stop messing around and move up in the draft for someone you are 100% sold on. Elway has instead opted for cast-offs from other organizations, believing that they will be the next Manning. Instead they are what the previous organization thought they were - backups. I've always maintained that aside from Manning, no franchise QB ever makes it to free agency. The only way to fix this is to draft someone and properly develop him. But because Elway doesn't want to deal with the developmental side of a QB, here we are paying off Keenum still and then Flacco for the next few years.

What a mess.
                Heck, they should’ve just keep Siemian, he’s still been the only QB to have a winning record here post Manning. But, they needed a scapegoat for the horrible 2017 season, so they sent the cheapest and sadly the best QB on the roster packing and overpaid Keenum and got the same results the next year.

So.... that didn’t work, so they try that same strategy again! Only this time they pay even more money to Flacco. Now they have like $38 million tied up in QBs, yet have only won 6 out of the last 20 games. Imagine what they could’ve done with an extra $38 million....

Literally any cheap, mediocre QB, could’ve produced the same results we’ve had the last 2 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                  Heck, they should’ve just keep Siemian, he’s still been the only QB to have a winning record here post Manning. But, they needed a scapegoat for the horrible 2017 season, so they sent the cheapest and sadly the best QB on the roster packing and overpaid Keenum and got the same results the next year.

So.... that didn’t work, so they try that same strategy again! Only this time they pay even more money to Flacco. Now they have like $38 million tied up in QBs, yet have only won 6 out of the last 20 games. Imagine what they could’ve done with an extra $38 million....

Literally any cheap, mediocre QB, could’ve produced the same results we’ve had the last 2 years.

What they should of done was Keep Chad Kelly he would be starting by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post

What a mess.
                    Exactly. At some point, they need to draft somebody to be the man for the long run instead of picking up the man until we find the man of the future. Which is/has been the cycle since Manning left. I swear if we have another 'the decision' with Lock and another QB...I'm going to puke.

Comment

• All I do know is that Joe is not the Answer at the QB Position. That interception Turned the Tide and his Awful 3rd Quarter 3 N Outs are to blame 2. Joe is as much as fault for this mess since he assumed the role as the Starting QB ! It Starts and Ends at the QB's Feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                        What they should of done was Keep Chad Kelly he would be starting by now.
                        Probably true, hard to come back after his couch sitting incident though. He had the job right there for taking, could’ve even saved VJ’s job, at least for a season, but he decided to get wasted and go couch sitting instead, Kelly has no one to blame but himself. He screwed himself and this organization

Comment

• Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                          so you would have just kept keenums 18 million contract or cut him and hoped to draft a qb to start ?

arm chair Gms always have the best hindssight
                          Keenum s contact, while still high, is far more reasonable than flaccos. Ultimately the goal should be to draft a young qb who can do the job. That's not "hindsight" that's common sense...
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                            All I do know is that Joe is not the Answer at the QB Position. That interception Turned the Tide and his Awful 3rd Quarter 3 N Outs are to blame 2. Joe is as much as fault for this mess since he assumed the role as the Starting QB ! It Starts and Ends at the QB's Feet.
                            gee your right, the defense allowing 229 yards rushing in the second half should have inspired flacco to come in and play defense
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                              Keenum s contact, while still high, is far more reasonable than flaccos. Ultimately the goal should be to draft a young qb who can do the job. That's not "hindsight" that's common sense...
                              wasn't that supposed to be lock
                              sigpic

Comment

This post makes sense, Flacco lead 2 great drives with 2 minutes left, and the defense let us down BIG TIME !!!!
                                They couldn't do what Flacco did, finish off a game and get a stop.
                                (And get the W)

Comment

Working...
                                X