Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flacco

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by L.M. View Post
    From what I understand of it, the restructure created emergency cap room (because we had virtually nil left) (which can be rolled over to next year) and we are not paying Flacco anything more than what was on the original contract, and we can cut him in the offseason easily. See MHR article:

    Mythbusting Joe Flacco’s contract
    Despite what you may have read or heard, Flacco can be easily moved by Denver and his restructure didn’t add any additional cap burden onto Denver.
    This is correct. :thumb:
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

    Comment


    • For a veteran like Flacco he’ll get whatever he’s scheduled to earn as long as he’s injured. With his neck injury it’s possible he could be with the Broncos earning $23,650,000 million next season. At least until he’s cleared to play. If he’s cleared to play before next season, I think the cap savings are greater with a post-June 1 cut: $20,250,000 vs $10,050,000 cap savings.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
        For a veteran like Flacco he’ll get whatever he’s scheduled to earn as long as he’s injured. With his neck injury it’s possible he could be with the Broncos earning $23,650,000 million next season. At least until he’s cleared to play. If he’s cleared to play before next season, I think the cap savings are greater with a post-June 1 cut: $20,250,000 vs $10,050,000 cap savings.

        He has no injury guarantees in his contract, so they can move on once the season is over. The problem with him being designated a post June 1 cut is that Denver won't get the cap savings until after June 1, and it would push his cap hit into a 3rd year. With a lot of cap space in 2020, and with a decent amount to be rolled over, I'd just release him Feb 15th (or whatever the first day they can release him is) and take the cap hit immediately.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
          Flacco was a serviceable QB on a friendly, reasonably-priced contract.

          Srsly...we're like 3 bad calls, a few bad bounces, and three brutal injuries (james/callahan/chubb) from being in the thick of the playoff hunt. All of this while installing a new staff, learning 2 very complex schemes, and building up a talented group of young players.

          Like any of the Captain Buzzkills in this thread would be singing Elway's praises if he'd signed Matt Moore for 9m a year?

          And what exactly was the right QB move this off-season? Draft Haskins? Throw Lock into the fire from Day 1?

          A good foundation is finally being poured and that's when people want to bring in the wrecking ball...
          lol but in reality the team is 3-7 and the season is over. Flacco was not reasonably serviceable. He was a bottom of the league rated qb being paid like an above average qb.

          There’s no captain buzzkill in people being less in denial than others.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            He has no injury guarantees in his contract, so they can move on once the season is over. The problem with him being designated a post June 1 cut is that Denver won't get the cap savings until after June 1, and it would push his cap hit into a 3rd year. With a lot of cap space in 2020, and with a decent amount to be rolled over, I'd just release him Feb 15th (or whatever the first day they can release him is) and take the cap hit immediately.
            If his injury is prolonged, wouldn’t the Broncos need to negotiate a settlement in order to cut him? I don’t think a team can cut an injured vested veteran player without a settlement. If that happened I would think there’s a chance Elway would keep Flacco rather than offer a settlement.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
              Flacco was a serviceable QB on a friendly, reasonably-priced contract.

              Srsly...we're like 3 bad calls, a few bad bounces, and three brutal injuries (james/callahan/chubb) from being in the thick of the playoff hunt. All of this while installing a new staff, learning 2 very complex schemes, and building up a talented group of young players.

              Like any of the Captain Buzzkills in this thread would be singing Elway's praises if he'd signed Matt Moore for 9m a year?

              And what exactly was the right QB move this off-season? Draft Haskins? Throw Lock into the fire from Day 1?

              A good foundation is finally being poured and that's when people want to bring in the wrecking ball...
              I advocated for signing Matt Moore last year. Watching the film on Moore he was a solid guy capable of winning games for the Broncos.

              Haskins isn’t a good reference because Gruden completely mismanaged the situation just like Elway has. Haskins should have started Day 1. Washington may have still lost a lot of games but he would have a full season of experience.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                If his injury is prolonged, wouldn’t the Broncos need to negotiate a settlement in order to cut him? I don’t think a team can cut an injured vested veteran player without a settlement. If that happened I would think there’s a chance Elway would keep Flacco rather than offer a settlement.
                Only during the season, once the season ends teams can then release players, sometimes teams will hang onto injured players if their salaries are guaranteed if they can't pass a February physical (Ron Leary this year) but team's can still release injured players. Two examples of injured players being released are Richard Sherman in March 2018 (he was coming back from a torn achilles, and Peyton Manning in 2012 when Indy released him to not pay his roster bonus.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  Only during the season, once the season ends teams can then release players, sometimes teams will hang onto injured players if their salaries are guaranteed if they can't pass a February physical (Ron Leary this year) but team's can still release injured players. Two examples of injured players being released are Richard Sherman in March 2018 (he was coming back from a torn achilles, and Peyton Manning in 2012 when Indy released him to not pay his roster bonus.
                  If there is guaranteed salary I understand. Guaranteed salary doesn’t require a negotiation or settlement because it’s baked into the contract. I was thinking of a vested veteran being injured during the season and carrying into the off season. I think they would still need to negotiate a settlement with Flacco
                  because he’s a vested veteran, but could be wrong.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                    If there is guaranteed salary I understand. Guaranteed salary doesn’t require a negotiation or settlement because it’s baked into the contract. I was thinking of a vested veteran being injured during the season and carrying into the off season. I think they would still need to negotiate a settlement with Flacco
                    because he’s a vested veteran, but could be wrong.
                    A vested veteran's salary is fully guaranteed if they're on the roster for week 1. Because Flacco was this year they owe him his entire 2019 salary. But once the league year ends their obligation to him ends, and they can cut him with no further payment being required. The Sherman example is very similar, veteran injured in a game midseason, goes to IR, released in the new year with no financial obligation. He was still rehabbing when the 49ers signed him.

                    Comment


                    • What are we going to do with Flacco? I read that he might need surgery on a herniated disc? And he said that he would think about coming back to Denver next year to be a backup to Drew Lock?

                      Comment


                      • Flacco won't be backing up our quarterback making $17 million/year.

                        Comment


                        • Flacco would be wise to retire. The guy made a boatload of money and should be set.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                            What are we going to do with Flacco? I read that he might need surgery on a herniated disc? And he said that he would think about coming back to Denver next year to be a backup to Drew Lock?
                            He would have to take a pay cut for sure. I would hope he knows that

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                              Flacco would be wise to retire. The guy made a boatload of money and should be set.
                              And also won a Superbowl. The trouble is all athletes want to end on a high and rarely get the chance. Most end up like Flacco.

                              Comment


                              • Would he be worth 5 to 7 mill a year to be a backup?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X