X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rastic View Post
    I think you're both right.

Manning had an even bigger question mark hanging over his head - big risk, big reward.

The Colts, on the other hand, were willing to part with Manning and go with Luck. For them why take a risk with one of the few for sure starting QBs to enter the league?
    Unlike Flacco, it's no risk, medium reward. No one thinks Flacco has nearly the upside of Manning, but he's still a middle of the road QB that is better than the abysmal Keenum. He's not a great option, he's not the option many of us would have personally picked, but it's not nearly as bad as some of the gloom around here.

It's a small upgrade, but it could pay dividends IF and only if Elway gets draft and FA right and brings in the right pieces to mask his deficiencies. Flacco is only as good as his supporting cast. He is right in saying that Manning and Flacco aren't in the same ballpark. Manning is as good as Manning, supporting cast be damned, but Flacco isn't the end of the world IF Elway does his job right.
    sigpic

Comment

• Agreed. Small improvement in talent.

My only hope is that he is a better fit in our system and that translates to better overall pay on offense.

Gotta look for a silver lining somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
        Nice cop out answer....Fairly wrong too.... Gronk only started 11 games last year but still had almost 700 yards, he had almost 1,100 on 14 games last year with 8 TD's. Gonk gets injured and misses games, but Gronk is still the same Gronk as always... His only down year was 2016 where he only started 6 games.

Thomas was 6th in yards with 1,405. Considering just how much Drew Brees spreads the ball around, that's nothing to sneeze at. He also hauled in 9 TD's. He's a legit threat, he's been over 1,100 yards every year of his career and already has 23 TD's in his short 3 years in the league. As far as "who else does he have" Kamara and Watson were the bulk of his remaining receptions with Kamara hauling in 81 catches for 709 yards.

And Cam Newton? Cam isn't that great man... Great runner, I don't care for him personally as a QB. He's highly overated...His top receiver this year was Christian McCaffrey with 867 yards. If you think he's a great QB, that hurts your narrative that great QB's make receivers considering his receivers all suck.
        If you say so. Disagree and wont argue with you on it. Flacco sucks.
        Until we get a TRUE qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message!

Comment

Agreed. Small improvement in talent.

My only hope is that he is a better fit in our system and that translates to better overall pay on offense.

Gotta look for a silver lining somewhere.
          Yeah, he is what he is...I don't expect to be world beaters unless the defense and run game are at a very high level, but we should be a 10 win team.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
            If you say so. Disagree and wont argue with you on it. Flacco sucks.
            The only way Flacco sucks, is through a straw. He can actually read defenses quickly, and has a strong arm. He has had some success in the NFL over a number of years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
              When Manning came to Denver he had won 1 Bowl. When Flacco came to Denver he had won 1 Super Bowl.
              They were both in there middle 30's, so there are a few things that are the same.
              Joe Flacco has never been selected to the Pro Bowl. Not once. Not even as an alternative because options A, B, C, D... X, Y, and Z couldn't make it (even Siemian got an invite after 3 primary Qbs declined and all others were injured).

Comment

• Albert Breer has a decent write up on it. I agree with his assessment.

I’m not here to pave over the broken road that John Elway and Co. took to get here. But given the present circumstances? I don’t hate the trade.

Think of it like this: you’re looking to buy a house long-term and you’re on a flexible month-to-month lease in your current living situation. If you’re renting on a set yearly lease, you might feel antsy or take a counteroffer you shouldn’t, knowing there’s a real deadline coming—in essence allowing your short-term situation to creep into your long-term decision-making. But on a month-to-month lease, you can be patient. You’re operating from a position of strength.

Flacco is, in this case, the month-to-month lease, whereas Keenum became the set lease as he and the Broncos went into the final year of the pact they struck last March. Flacco has three years left on the contract Denver is inheriting, at $18.5 million for 2019, $20.25 million for ’20, and $24.25 million for ’21. None of that is guaranteed. All of it is in the form of base salary. The Broncos can move on whenever.
                https://amp.si.com/nfl/2019/02/14/jo...-odell-beckham
                sigpic

Comment

• “I think Joe Flacco needs an offensive guru,” Dumervil, who retired in August, told the gossip site. “I don’t think he really had that in Baltimore. … I do feel that if he doesn’t have a coach who can coach him — the Sean Paytons, the Josh McDaniels, these kind of guys — he’s going to fail miserably in Denver. I think Elway is seeking to try to do the same — he did a genius move with Peyton Manning. Unfortunately, Joe Flacco is no Peyton Manning.”

https://nypost.com/2019/02/15/joe-fl...s-ex-teammate/

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                    The only way Flacco sucks, is through a straw. He can actually read defenses quickly, and has a strong arm. He has had some success in the NFL over a number of years.
                    He is more decisive though, I'll give him that no doubt.

Comment

• Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                      “I think Joe Flacco needs an offensive guru,” Dumervil, who retired in August, told the gossip site. “I don’t think he really had that in Baltimore. … I do feel that if he doesn’t have a coach who can coach him — the Sean Paytons, the Josh McDaniels, these kind of guys — he’s going to fail miserably in Denver. I think Elway is seeking to try to do the same — he did a genius move with Peyton Manning. Unfortunately, Joe Flacco is no Peyton Manning.”

https://nypost.com/2019/02/15/joe-fl...s-ex-teammate/
                      Wow, the forums URL truncation is going to start rumors.

Comment

• Seriously there are almost no current QB's that should ever be compared to Peyton Manning in terms of ability to read defenses and getting offenses into better plays.

Comment

Wow, the forums URL truncation is going to start rumors.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
                            Seriously there are almost no current QB's that should ever be compared to Peyton Manning in terms of ability to read defenses and getting offenses into better plays.
                            No one is truly making a comparison. Conclusions are being jumped to based off words not read.
                            sigpic

Comment

• To go back to what Breer said. With Keenum, we were on the last year of the deal, we either have to find someone imediately and make a rash decision, or we don't have a QB next year. We had no options with him unless we wanted to extend him and that's not a great option either.

With Flacco, all options are on the table. If the right QB falls in our laps we can take them this year, if the rookie beats Flacco out, we can cut him with zero penalty and move forward in life. We can let Flacco start this year, draft a rookie next year or trade for a better QB if one is available and again cut flacco next year with zero penalty.

Flacco opens up a lot of options because with his contract, we're on the hook for nothing if we choose to move on from him and we can do that at ANY time over the next couple of years.

To add some further perspective. As far as the 4th round pick, our 4th round picks since 2012 have consisted of Omar Bolden, Phillip Blake, Max Garcia, Devontae Booker, Josey Jewell and DaeSean Hamilton.

Outside of last year, we've never found a star player in the 4th round, in fact, most years, we don't even have a 4th round. We've only had 4th round picks 4 times since 2012.

So basically, this is an EXTREMELY low risk move.
                              Last edited by Freyaka; 02-15-2019, 12:40 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Joe Flacco has never been selected to the Pro Bowl. Not once. Not even as an alternative because options A, B, C, D... X, Y, and Z couldn't make it (even Siemian got an invite after 3 primary Qbs declined and all others were injured).
                                I will take Flacco over Siemian .
                                I just want a QB that can take the ball and go and score a few points. Win some games and not be lame like our Qb's have been as of late.
                                ( I was hoping for The Broncos to get Matt Stafford somehow)

Comment

Working...
                                X