This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I liked Flacco in college. I thought at the time, maybe we should have drafted him.
    I am not sure how good or bad he is going to be, I know he is probably the best QB we have had on the team for many years.
    I guess I’m just saying I feel like there should be a safe middle ground to say hey I’m happy it’s an upgrade over Keenum but I don’t believe we are better than 9-7 because of it.
    sigpic

Comment

• Flacco doesn't have a noodle arm like Case Keenum. That is already one huge thing to look forward to this season.

Comment

• It is about realistic expectations. I’m not expecting Flacco to be a top10 QB or to be a dynamic playmaker. Not expecting the offense to be among the highest scoring.

I am expecting him to be a competent professional. A leader that gets the team in the right position at the right times and gets the ball to his playmakers. Not earth shattering stuff but a definite improvement in consistency over the QBs the past few years.

Add that to a top 5 defense and 9-7 is realistic IMO. I am good with being in contention for a playoff spot in the final week of the season. Solid improvement for a first year coaching staff and rebuilding team.

Now they just need to make it happen!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
          Signing Ja’Wuan James gives me more confidence in giving Flacco a chance to be successful. I believe the Broncos will target a good prospect for the OL in the draft. If the Broncos draft a good TE prospect, Flacco can have a great season. Hockenson is projected late in the first round but I think he’ll be drafted in the top 10.
          I've seen a lot of Mocks that have Hockenson going in the top 10 lately. If they want him they will have to grab him at #10. I'm not opposed to this at all.
          sigpic

Comment

• If the Broncos intend to be a balanced offense carried by the defense, Flacco is good enough to help the team win games and possibly get to the playoffs.

It’s going to be difficult to overcome the Chiefs and Chargers.

We may have to hope the Broncos can be good enough to get the second wildcard spot.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
              It is about realistic expectations. I’m not expecting Flacco to be a top10 QB or to be a dynamic playmaker. Not expecting the offense to be among the highest scoring.

I am expecting him to be a competent professional. A leader that gets the team in the right position at the right times and gets the ball to his playmakers. Not earth shattering stuff but a definite improvement in consistency over the QBs the past few years.

Add that to a top 5 defense and 9-7 is realistic IMO. I am good with being in contention for a playoff spot in the final week of the season. Solid improvement for a first year coaching staff and rebuilding team.

Now they just need to make it happen!

NOT COUNTING 2018 (the Lamar transition year) Joe has produced an average annual win total of 9.4 wins (a 10.4 win average if you include his 10 playoff victories). This total includes the year the Ravens tanked as a team because of Joe's season ending achilles tear. You also need to realize that Joe has had to play 6 games a year for each of those ten years against the Steelers, Bengals and Browns in the AFC North - each of those teams with an above average NFL defense. Looking at the list of teams that Denver has to play in 2019 my guess is that the Broncos come away with at least 10 wins this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                Why do you think it’s so black and white?

I don’t see why people can’t be happy Keenum is gone but still skeptical on exactly how far Flacco can take us.

I’ve never been a Flacco fan from day one of his career even if he is an upgrade.

I just think people need to tamper their expectations. We may have better talent than Baltimore, which in and of itself is debatable because we are bias towards our team, but it doesn’t mean we have enough talent to magically go from 11 wins in two seasons to 11 wins in one season.

We also all believe in Fangio being a major difference but no one knows for sure how much of a difference.

To me Flacco over Keenum is a boost from 6-10 to 8-8 or 9-7. Meaning a lot of fans are still going to be upset and still blaming Elway.

I just don’t see what makes people think Flacco can be a top 10 in the NFL qb when he has never really been that guy.
                I've been thinking along similar lines. Criticism of last year's team performance seems to boil down to three areas: poor preparation and game day coaching decisions on offense; poor preparation and game day coaching decisions on defense; and, deficient play and production from the QB position.

The 2018 Denver Broncos were 6-10 and six of the losses were by a combined 23 points (3.83 ppg/a little more than a FG) So, new QB, new HC, new OC, new DC and some new position coaches including O-Line. It's a new season with a new schedule and problematic to project how many more wins these changes will produce.

Something to consider is that Vic Fangio and Ed Donatell came from Chicago and the Broncos will play the NFCN this year with which Denver's new HC and DC are familiar. Chicago also played the Bills last year whom Denver faces this year. New OC Rich Scangarello was in on preparing game plans last year against the AFCW and the NFCN when he was an assistant in San Francisco. Last year Mike Munchak prepared his Steeler O-Line to play against four of Denver's 2019 opponents including their AFCW rivals.

Better coaching and QB play will probably produce more than six wins, but how many more remains to be seen. So far, Elway and Co. have gotten off to a good start in free agency and trades. With sixty players currently under contract, the Broncos have a ways to go to fill the ninety man TC roster. They may sign a lot of UDFAs in addition to draftees and other free agents.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  I've been thinking along similar lines. Criticism of last year's team performance seems to boil down to three areas: poor preparation and game day coaching decisions on offense; poor preparation and game day coaching decisions on defense; and, deficient play and production from the QB position.

The 2018 Denver Broncos were 6-10 and six of the losses were by a combined 23 points (3.83 ppg/a little more than a FG) So, new QB, new HC, new OC, new DC and some new position coaches including O-Line. It's a new season with a new schedule and problematic to project how many more wins these changes will produce.

Something to consider is that Vic Fangio and Ed Donatell came from Chicago and the Broncos will play the NFCN this year with which Denver's new HC and DC are familiar. Chicago also played the Bills last year whom Denver faces this year. New OC Rich Scangarello was in on preparing game plans last year against the AFCW and the NFCN when he was an assistant in San Francisco. Last year Mike Munchak prepared his Steeler O-Line to play against four of Denver's 2019 opponents including their AFCW rivals.

Better coaching and QB play will probably produce more than six wins, but how many more remains to be seen. So far, Elway and Co. have gotten off to a good start in free agency and trades. With sixty players currently under contract, the Broncos have a ways to go to fill the ninety man TC roster. They may sign a lot of UDFAs in addition to draftees and other free agents.
                  The future is looking Bright Indeed !!

Comment

All great points Sam. One other concern of mine that people seem to ignore is that sometimes all new things and schemes take time to develop. We could be suffering growing pains and team chemistry in September and lose some games we shouldn’t. It wouldn’t mean we didn’t hire the right coach. But that maybe it will take time to mold. That’s why I feel 10+ wins is a bit too optimistic.

I remember people questioned how long it would take Manning to fit into our system and more the players learn what he expects. It was looking like a disaster the first few weeks until that magical second half comeback against the Chargers that sparked a run.

People forget we exceeded expectations that year. But then in year two it still went to new heights.

This could be a situation where Fangio and Flacco was work out great in year two but that growing pains in year 1 produce 8 or 9 wins. And that would still be an improvement from a year ago.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                      All great points Sam. One other concern of mine that people seem to ignore is that sometimes all new things and schemes take time to develop. We could be suffering growing pains and team chemistry in September and lose some games we shouldn’t. It wouldn’t mean we didn’t hire the right coach. But that maybe it will take time to mold. That’s why I feel 10+ wins is a bit too optimistic.

I remember people questioned how long it would take Manning to fit into our system and more the players learn what he expects. It was looking like a disaster the first few weeks until that magical second half comeback against the Chargers that sparked a run.

People forget we exceeded expectations that year. But then in year two it still went to new heights.

This could be a situation where Fangio and Flacco was work out great in year two but that growing pains in year 1 produce 8 or 9 wins. And that would still be an improvement from a year ago.
                      Switching from one gap run D to two gap is a big deal. At the moment, Denver has no 0 techs and they will need at least two. Inside Backers in an odd front/two gap have way more complicated reads than one gappers. D has good coaches and they will earn their pay implementing this change.

The big deal on any new offense is terminology. All OCs have their own language which morphs every year. Scangarello must structure the O to meet Fangio's requirements one of which is balance. Fortunately he has some good position coaches to help install it.

The phase of the game with the most continuity is STs which is a good thing.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• What’s interesting to me is that most media outlets consider this one of the worst moves leaguewide this offseason.

Now I tend to disagree with media a lot and think they are just glorified fans. But many of them still have insanely more time to follow and watch football than any of us.

Yet many on here don’t just disagree but seem to think they know so much better that we somehow acquired a stud who only suffered from lack of support. And somehow our team isn’t also lacking a ton of support. Even though we literally have no proven relievers except an oft injured Sanders.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between media’s pessimistic take and message board bias takes.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thats it in a nutshell....

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                          What’s interesting to me is that most media outlets consider this one of the worst moves leaguewide this offseason.

Now I tend to disagree with media a lot and think they are just glorified fans. But many of them still have insanely more time to follow and watch football than any of us.

Yet many on here don’t just disagree but seem to think they know so much better that we somehow acquired a stud who only suffered from lack of support. And somehow our team isn’t also lacking a ton of support. Even though we literally have no proven relievers except an oft injured Sanders.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between media’s pessimistic take and message board bias takes.

I do agree that this was not the best trade the FO could of done. But who else would of wanted to come to Denver? Now Flacco does have a better arm than keenum and I suppose any is better than none. Hopefully the new coaching staff can get the Xs and Os working like they need to and we can find the elusive winning season. I'd sure like to see a 10-6 with a wildcard this year. More than likely that is another pipedream.....
                          Last edited by Saddletramp; 03-15-2019, 02:11 PM.
                          [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                          Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• We finally have a true NFL leader back at the QB position. Damn it feels so good. I'm not expecting magical plays like you'd see in KC .......... but seeing that presser today - Flacco really feels like a calming presence for our team. So is the new HC for that matter .......... moments not too big ........ they're just relaxed but with that underlying desire.

I feel good about this Flacco move
                            Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                              He should be the best starting QB for us in many years?
                              He seems smart, accurate, and his highlights look pretty good.
                              Jack, highlights are supposed to make any player look good. That's why they make highlight films and it doesn't mean that a particular player will be as good as he looks on film. I do not believe Flacco is our savior but I do hope we can at least have a winning season with him. Hopefully team Elway have something up their sleeve we haven't heard about and there is a rookie QB in the future that can maybe learn a thing or 3 so he can take over the starting position next season (2020) or at the latest in 2 seasons.
                              [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                              Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• This team has a lot of talent. Don't count the Broncos out this year. You forget that we won a SB with an ageing QB and its even hard just to look at PM's stats that year. So it can be done with the right chemistry. Please don't tell me you thought we would win a SB bringing Kubes back as coach. Which was nothing short of a miracle. So it can happen and it has happened just recently, to even the Broncos. I honestly like the way Flacco wings the rock. It doesn't give the DBs time to react and that 1 step advantage makes a world of difference in percentages.

Comment

Working...
                                X