Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crabcruncher
    replied
    …..And how many QBs can play well in bad weather, which happens to coincide with the weather you find in the post season.
    . . Did I hear you ask how he does in the rain and snow? . Flacco is a mudder. His Father was a mudder. Throw him into to that typhoon. He loves it. Thirty plus mile per hour winds in his face and he throws tight spirals on target. Its his advantage Brer fox
    Great QB to have in bad weather games.
    Will miss that during those nasty November games on the east coast.

Leave a comment:

• Que42
    replied
    Hi

I've been a Ravens fan since they got going. Why? Because they're my home town team mainly. I lay on the couch and watch them on lazy winter Sundays. So I'm in a better position to give you the real skinny on Flacco than most. Mainly because most of the so called experts watch a couple minutes of highlights and run their flappy chops like they are in the know.

So you Denver fans want to know what you're getting in Flacco. Well to put it in a nutshell you're getting an above average QB. How "above" is debatable, he may be just slightly above or mucho depending on how much the talent around him, both players and coaches, or lack of has kept him back. This is a question that very well may get answered in your town. Which is why you see so many Ravens fans popping up. We are as curious as the cat in the tuna factory to see how he's going to do. And most are pulling for him big time. He's a likable guy for sure.

But here's the rub, and Oooooo is it ever. Get him into the playoffs and he's well, an above average quarterback. But that's a mighty handy thing for a team to have when almost everyone else is so strung out on adrenaline they're almost like coke junkies. The "Joe Cool" isn't some snappy moniker. His teammates say flat out he's the real deal in that department. The games on the line and it's still the same old calm Joe calling the play in the huddle like it's a pre-season game. It not only elevates his play because everyone on the defense is just as strung out but it calms his teammates big time and elevates their play.

And as for lack of talent around him it's not just a cop out. Ozzy (our GM) is strictly defense first and often it seems like defense only. They are decent about OL but never have any depth so one injury and it's porous as swiss cheese. And never has a team been so downright at picking receivers. What do you want in a receiver. Well two things. Can they get open and can they catch the ball. We always draft the guys with the dropsisies and the . They normally picked up a decent free agent like Steve Smith was a very good one but when you only have one real threat the Ds key in on him. Time after time I saw. Joe drops back, Joe scans, nobody open, Joe has to dump it off. No wonder we always have TEs and RBs with outlandish catch stats. They guy has an arm and not afraid to go long and would gladly do so if anyone was open.

Age and injuries could keep him back but even with that there is major hope. Since their Superbowl run I've watched game after game where it's the Joe runs for his life on every down show. Pound on a tank long enough and it's going to crumble.

Put a little talent around him and let him rip. If you saw what he did with your man running the offence you would be at least hopeful.
    Last edited by Peanut; 05-02-2019, 01:42 AM. Reason: Edited words.

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    Originally posted by JayInMD View Post
    Another Ravens / Flacco fan here, with my 2 cents.

When discussing Flacco's apparent decline in the past couple of years, most Ravens fans do not sufficiently account for his knee or back injury. Both injuries affect throwing motion and/or power. Hopefully he's all healed now, but he (and the team) hid the extent of the injuries well. There are also ongoing debates about how much the team may or may not have limited Flacco in terms of receiver / line quality, play calling, and Harbaugh's apparent focus on the run game and tendency to sit on leads.

What I can say is that Flacco is clutch and deserves the nickname "Joe Cool". The bigger the challenge, the better he plays. He's outplayed Brady, Manning, and Roethlisberger in key games and in the playoffs. He also usually makes good decisions as far as not turning the ball over often. On the down side, he's underperformed against bad teams, and there have been too many games where he came out "flat". If there is pressure he will definitely check down and give the 3 yard passes. Also he's not a chess master like Manning or Brady, and doesn't have as much ability to improvise. Still, I'm a big Flacco fan and am quite sorry to see him go. Lamar Jackson is exciting, and I hope he can develop into an accurate passer, but am disappointed that they got rid of Flacco. Hope he does well for the Broncos... I'll be watching and rooting for him.
    Welcome to the MB!

I'm looking forward to see how Flacco does with the Broncos.

And I'm kind of enjoying seeing all the Raven fans flocking to our board.

Seriously. You all bring some insights to Flacco's game.

Leave a comment:

• JayInMD
    replied
    Another Ravens / Flacco fan here, with my 2 cents.

When discussing Flacco's apparent decline in the past couple of years, most Ravens fans do not sufficiently account for his knee or back injury. Both injuries affect throwing motion and/or power. Hopefully he's all healed now, but he (and the team) hid the extent of the injuries well. There are also ongoing debates about how much the team may or may not have limited Flacco in terms of receiver / line quality, play calling, and Harbaugh's apparent focus on the run game and tendency to sit on leads.

What I can say is that Flacco is clutch and deserves the nickname "Joe Cool". The bigger the challenge, the better he plays. He's outplayed Brady, Manning, and Roethlisberger in key games and in the playoffs. He also usually makes good decisions as far as not turning the ball over often. On the down side, he's underperformed against bad teams, and there have been too many games where he came out "flat". If there is pressure he will definitely check down and give the 3 yard passes. Also he's not a chess master like Manning or Brady, and doesn't have as much ability to improvise. Still, I'm a big Flacco fan and am quite sorry to see him go. Lamar Jackson is exciting, and I hope he can develop into an accurate passer, but am disappointed that they got rid of Flacco. Hope he does well for the Broncos... I'll be watching and rooting for him.

Leave a comment:

• Capt. Jack
    replied
    We need more than 1 decent QB on the team. I think we have a few good QB's now, and that's a good thing!!!!

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post

The team was in desperate need of a developmental QB. That means grabbing a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The fact that we managed to grab what some consider a top 10 talent at pick 42 is phenomenal value. Even if Lock doesn't pan out, it was an excellent wager.

In poker terms I see Lock as Ace/King off suit. Picking him at 10 would be like going all-in on the hand. Pick 42 is like a double blind. Perfect value for the hand.
    In poker terms, I see drafting Lock as having excellent pot odds, a small bet with a huge pot if your cards hit.

Leave a comment:

• Jonny_Quest
    replied
    Originally posted by crabcruncher View Post
    Lock was a wasted pick and a distraction. Elway cant help himself with the compulsive need to pick a quarterback.
    The rest of the draft went well, but this pick was a bonehead one. And to make matters worse, he used three picks to do it.

The team was in desperate need of a developmental QB. That means grabbing a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The fact that we managed to grab what some consider a top 10 talent at pick 42 is phenomenal value. Even if Lock doesn't pan out, it was an excellent wager.

In poker terms I see Lock as Ace/King off suit. Picking him at 10 would be like going all-in on the hand. Pick 42 is like a double blind. Perfect value for the hand.

Leave a comment:

• Kansas Bob
    replied
    Biggest problem Flacco keeping the starting gig is his his salary compared to Lock's wage. Unless a takes our Broncos deep into the playoffs, he will go into 2020 season with two strikes against him.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Lock was a wasted pick and a distraction. Elway cant help himself with the compulsive need to pick a quarterback.
    The rest of the draft went well, but this pick was a bonehead one. And to make matters worse, he used three picks to do it.
    Welcome to the board!

The way Elway went about drafting Lock was methodical and far from compulsive. Elway and the front office traveled several times to see Lock play, evaluated him at the Combine and interviewed him at Dove Valley. Elway worked the draft board with several trades to ultimately get Lock with the third pick. Drafting Lynch might have been a bit compulsive.

Leave a comment:

• gtown53
    replied
    Drew Lock is a 2nd Round talent at the most important position on ANY football team, and was taken in the 2nd Round by the Broncos. And this is after pretty much every "Professional" expert on the Draft thought the Broncos would take Lock with the 10th Pick in the 1st Round. I was never a Lock fan, but they got value for the pick. If the Broncos had taken Lock at #10, I'd be livid. But they didn't. I was a little surprised that the Broncos took Lock over someone like Greedy Williams mainly because of the Chris Harris situation. But evidently Elway saw it differently. So, the Lock pick was reasonable. And if he turns out, down the road, the Pick will be considered "genius". EVERY QB in the Draft is a "crapshoot", including Kyler Murray. Osweiler and Lynch failed. But Denver still needed a backup, and they Picked Lock. Good move.

Leave a comment:

• crabcruncher
    replied
    Last edited by crabcruncher; 04-28-2019, 11:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Agreed. I truly believe this is the most talented team we've had in awhile, and that's even with the holes at G and ILB. Flacco knows he may only get one year to keep Lock at bay and prove that he's worth the starter position. Either way, after drafting Drew Lock, he must know that his time here has already begun to count down.
    Flacco has a great opportunity to resurrect his career. If he plays well he could stick around for several years. As long as the Broncos are winning I don’t care which quarterback we have. I agree that he has to know Elway won’t wait too long to hand the keys to Lock.

Leave a comment:

• paraven
    replied
    Originally posted by gerontion View Post
    Joe's mentality should be to work his tail off and and absolutely destroy any notion of the rookie having an impact. Frankly, I thought Flacco was a little whiny about the Lamar Jackson situation. Go out and earn it.
    It will be.. flacco was having good year up until he got hurt in the second Pittsburgh game. That will be the key though.. Can he stay healthy all year long

Leave a comment:

• gerontion
    replied
    Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Agreed. I truly believe this is the most talented team we've had in awhile, and that's even with the holes at G and ILB. Flacco knows he may only get one year to keep Lock at bay and prove that he's worth the starter position. Either way, after drafting Drew Lock, he must know that his time here has already begun to count down.
    Joe's mentality should be to work his tail off and and absolutely destroy any notion of the rookie having an impact. Frankly, I thought Flacco was a little whiny about the Lamar Jackson situation. Go out and earn it.

Leave a comment:

• TheAsianPA
    replied
    Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    The common theme for Flacco’s lack of success over recent years has been the talent around him.

Elway upgraded the roster during free agency and followed the 2018 draft with what appears to be a solid 2019 class. Signed Ja’Wuan James and drafted Dalton Risner to solidify the offensive line. Drafted Noah Fant who should give Flacco a talented TE target. Courtland Sutton should build on a good rookie season and Emmanuel Sanders is on track to return. The Broncos should have one of the better backfields with Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman.

On defense the Broncos added Kareem Jackson and Bryce Callahan to the secondary.

Flacco has the talent around him to be successful. If the Flacco supporters are right the Broncos should make the playoffs. Anything less than the playoffs should be unacceptable. Joe needs to make the most of the opportunity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X