• Show
Clear All
  • Rich_C
    Captain
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
    New head coach, new start for Broncos DL DeMarcus Walker

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/2...er-vic-fangio/
    I have not read that article and frankly it doesn't matter. What I do know is what the current HC just said in the most recent presser AND that we juts drafted a guy at a similar position. I am concerned that there are elements we have not been privy to. The comments about maturing are really what is making me wonder. I am also very curious about why there has not been any real commitment towards "Seeing how he does". Instead there is a lot of other things being brought forward....

Comment

• johnlimburg
      Ring of Famer
      • Sep 2009

This was the post I made after we drafted DeMarcus Walker a few years ago:

When Robert Ayers came out he was a strong side DE who looked best when rushing the quarterback from the inside at the 3 technique. He was considered to be an inconsistent flash player but when he showed them flashes, looked like a dominant player. This is the way I would describe DeMarcus Walker also, I see a lot of similarities between the two and it scares me a little bit.

When Ayers got here he was used in the wrong way, Josh McDaniel’s and Mike Nolan tried to turn him into an OLB and it didn’t work out. Robert Ayers ended up having a solid career however it wasn’t until he moved back down to the strong side DE spot in the 4-3 when John Fox arrived that he really improved. He was always solid against the run but his pass rushing was always questioned.

I am really hoping that we don’t plan on making Walker an OLB or even a wide technique DE. He has shown flashes of being a dominant force when rushing from the interior when matched up with guards and we need to allow him to do that here. As some people have said he will need to add some weight to become a full-time starter on the interior as a 3 technique however right now he can add a rotational pass rushing element to the interior of this defense that we need. I am a big fan of the pick and the value, I just hope he is utilised the right way.
      Well, doesn't it suck that so far this is exactly how the development of DeMarcus Walker has went. Let's hope this new group of coaches can turn things around in the development of Walker, and hopefully it wasn't Elway who seen Walker as an edge rusher or stand up backer. It was obvious at FSU he wasn't ever going to be that in the NFL in my opinion, and so far that has held true.

Comment

• gtown53
        All-Pro
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
        Moving back to dline November 30th is not half a season. And after losing all that weight to play OLB he was never in a position to contribute along the dline anyway. His rookie season was lost as soon as they decided to play him at OLB and effectively wasted his 2nd season as now he’s behind the learning curve of your typical dlineman coming out of college.
        Oh, okay. Well, that absolutely changes everything.

I guess we can expect Walker to represent the Broncos in the Pro-Bowl!!!

Or not.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
          Captain
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post

Or not.
          Probably has a better chance than Flacco

Comment

• beastlyskronk
            Football Immortal
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
            I have not read that article and frankly it doesn't matter. What I do know is what the current HC just said in the most recent presser AND that we juts drafted a guy at a similar position. I am concerned that there are elements we have not been privy to. The comments about maturing are really what is making me wonder. I am also very curious about why there has not been any real commitment towards "Seeing how he does". Instead there is a lot of other things being brought forward....
            There was a poster on these boards (with information not privy to outsiders) who said Walker did something to get put in the doghouse by our previous coaching staff. I don’t remember if it was posted during last season or going into the season but it would explain some things.

Comment

• beastlyskronk
              Football Immortal
              • Jun 2007

Or not.
              Not saying he will make the pro bowl but Wolfe has had 3.5 sacks and 12 hits the past two seasons while Walker has 2 sacks and 6 hits despite about a thousand less snaps. Kerr only has 2 sacks and 5 hits the past two seasons. These 2 guys were getting paid more than Walker and Harris yet Walker wasn’t even apart of the rotation and Harris was last in the rotation.

I think both Wolfe and Kerr have a place on this team mainly because the coaching staff did not do it’s due diligence and see what they had in Walker, who on a per snap basis is averaging a sack every 60 plays and a QB hit every 15 plays. Obviously those numbers aren’t sustainable but instead of hoping that Wolfe turns into something he isn’t I think the team is better served seeing what they have in Walker and now Jones as well. Wolfe is getting paid good money to occupy blockers for Von, you don’t need a big money player to do that.

Comment

• gtown53
                All-Pro
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                Probably has a better chance than Flacco
                Hey, I'm just glad, and amused, that a guy for whom we traded a 4th Round Draft pick is now iving rent-free in your head to the point where you obsessively Post (TROLL) your unmitigated hate for the guy.

Ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                  Banned User
                  • Dec 2015

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                  There was a poster on these boards (with information not privy to outsiders) who said Walker did something to get put in the doghouse by our previous coaching staff. I don’t remember if it was posted during last season or going into the season but it would explain some things.
                  I’ve read that the issue was between Walker and Vance Joseph. Bill Kollar supposedly believed in Walker but VJ overruled him. Reports out of OTAs indicate Fangio is keeping an open mind about Walker.

Fangio:

“I’m not sure yet, but I do think he’s working extremely hard. He’s making progress. Ultimately with the d-line/o-line, you have to have the pads on to see. But I like where he’s at and I like where he’s at mentally, too. He’s probably matured the last couple years and we’ll see what he has or doesn’t have come training camp.”

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                    I’ve read that the issue was between Walker and Vance Joseph. Bill Kollar supposedly believed in Walker but VJ overruled him. Reports out of OTAs indicate Fangio is keeping an open mind about Walker.

Fangio:

“I’m not sure yet, but I do think he’s working extremely hard. He’s making progress. Ultimately with the d-line/o-line, you have to have the pads on to see. But I like where he’s at and I like where he’s at mentally, too. He’s probably matured the last couple years and we’ll see what he has or doesn’t have come training camp.”
                    It does sound like he’s keeping an open mind but at the same time it also sounds like this is it for him. If he doesn’t play well or better than somebody this could be his last training camp.

Comment

• FL BRONCO
                      Traveling Mod
                      • Mar 2010

McGovern steps into the full-time center role in the wake of Matt Paradis' free-agent departure. In the May 23 edition of the Daily, former Broncos offensive lineman Tyler Polumbus and Julie Browman discuss how McGovern's work ethic can help him. Then, th

In this video, I believe around the 10 minute mark, Cravens talks about how it wasn't about the best player or most skilled playing, some players were being played by choice rather than talent while other talented players were sitting.Not a direct quote by any means. But I found his comments very interesting.
                      Last edited by FL BRONCO; 05-28-2019, 08:08 AM.
                      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                        Super Moderator
                        • Dec 2008

Demarcus Walker is being Coached by the same Coach that was coaching the Defensive Line when Walker came into the league. So blaming the Coaching staff, or some nebulous, imagined transgression as being Walker's problem seems to be "grasping at straws".

So, what are the possibilities? Either there is some vast conspiracy to keep a great player off the field, the coaches are incompetent, or Walker can't play. Sadly, I believe the odds favor that latter. I certainly hope I'm wrong. Drafted as a pass-rusher, Walker may benefit by the Broncos losing Shaq Barrett, and Shane Ray. But actually, Dre'mont Jones may be the player that spells the end of Walker's short, uneventful career.
                        You are incorrect. In 2017 the Broncos kept Fred Pagac from the previous staff as their OLB coach. In 2018 they fired Pagac and decided that the OLBs would spend half their time with Reggie Herring and half their time with Bill Kollar.

So for Walker's rookie year at OLB he was coached by Fred Pagac, his second year he was coached by Bill Kollar.

It's also not really "grasping at straws" to suggest that his struggles could be due in part to a coaching staff asking a 280 pound DE to lose 25-30 pounds and play a position he's never played before, before then asking him to get back up to 280 and go back to his other position.

I'm with you in that I don't think he'll make it, but I think you're overlooking several things to get to your conclusion.

Comment

• kerkhoff1
                          Practice Squad
                          • Feb 2004

He never should have been drafted here. It was a terrible scheme fit from the beginning.

Isn’t athletic enough to be a standup OLB as has shown to be the case. To small to be the DE in a 3-4.

Needed to go to a 4-3 team where he could one gap, and use his quick 1st step and swim move. Hated the pick Day one because of the fit not the player.

Hopefully he can get some 3tech work in nickel and dime packages and be a nice rotational player. Will never be a everydown player here though unfortunately.

Comment

• listopencil
                            Revenant
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by kerkhoff1 View Post
                            He never should have been drafted here. It was a terrible scheme fit from the beginning.

Isn’t athletic enough to be a standup OLB as has shown to be the case. To small to be the DE in a 3-4.

Needed to go to a 4-3 team where he could one gap, and use his quick 1st step and swim move. Hated the pick Day one because of the fit not the player.

Hopefully he can get some 3tech work in nickel and dime packages and be a nice rotational player. Will never be a everydown player here though unfortunately.
                            The kid is getting up there towards 300 pounds. He's not too small to be a 3-4 DE. Here's an interview with him from last year's training camp where he talks about the change from OLB to DE:

DeMarcus Walker says he's back to being himself after gaining weight this offseason and moving inside the interior of the defensive line.

Some excerpts:

Reporter: Do you feel like you're back to your natural position now?

Walker: I feel like I'm back, period.

Reporter: What's the difference, I mean what have you been able to do?

Walker: It's just my mindset, you know, buying in to what I got to do. Enjoying what I do. Just coming out here and just getting better.

Reporter: Your second season now. You feel like you're in a completely different spot?

Walker: Oh man, yeah. Yeah. I love where I'm at. Just got to keep performing. Every chance I get.

A lot of you don't want to hear this, but DeMarcus Walker got screwed over by the Denver Broncos. The coaching staff blew his rookie year on a failed experiment. He had to do the work to come back from that. Mentally and physically...and he did that. During his second year he wasn't given the snaps that he earned. If we had been in the midst of a playoff hunt late in the year, sure. No reason to upset the apple cart. But that's not where we were. We were spiraling into the depths of our division and should have been playing 'potential' guys to examine our roster. Guys like Walker who showed impact with limited snaps. Situations like this are what make me glad that VJ was fired. He needed to be.
                            Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                              Super Moderator
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kerkhoff1 View Post

Denver has 1 gapped since Del Rio left, so it's not a bad scheme fit that way. But I agree he's a strong side end. I think he could be a good rotational player at End in nickel and dime packages, subbing with Miller, Chubb and Holland.

Comment

• listopencil
                                Revenant
                                • Aug 2003

In all honesty I think Fangio has earned my respect to the point that I'd trust him to make the decision on Walker. I think Fangio will give Walker a fair chance to make the team, and if Walker doesn't do that then either Walker just doesn't have it or he's too bad of a fit to keep.
                                Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

Comment

Working...
                                X