Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I like Lock, but I will wait to crown him "King" for a few seasons. I will need to see a few years of good stats, a winning record and hopefully a few playoff wins.
    (On another note The CBS app predicted the Broncos would go 5-11 this season.)
    I am hoping for a 9-7 season.
    I think he has all the makings for a legit starting QB. He still has to prove it on the field, but I like his chances.

I’m dyin’ for some Broncos football!!! Can’t wait to watch this team of young talent develop. There will be ups and downs, but I’m thinking it will be far more enjoyable to watch compared to the past few seasons.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
      I think he has all the makings for a legit starting QB. He still has to prove it on the field, but I like his chances.

I’m dyin’ for some Broncos football!!! Can’t wait to watch this team of young talent develop. There will be ups and downs, but I’m thinking it will be far more enjoyable to watch compared to the past few seasons.
      I think so too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
        Clowney has had no training camp and now has to clear Covid testing before he can even enter the Tennessee building. I'm not sure he plays Monday, and if he does I think it'll be very limited.
        Regardless of Clowney playing or not, I do not trust Wilkinson. Reports of Reed and Attaochu were regularly getting by him gives me concern. Why not start Dotson who has been a starter at RT for 8 seasons?
        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
          Regardless of Clowney playing or not, I do not trust Wilkinson. Reports of Reed and Attaochu were regularly getting by him gives me concern. Why not start Dotson who has been a starter at RT for 8 seasons?
          Because someone in management wants his guys to start.
          I know many of you don’t like hearing it but just because it’s hard to swallow doesn’t mean it isn’t true!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
            I know many of you don’t like hearing it but just because it’s hard to swallow doesn’t mean it isn’t true!
            And just because you think it's true doesn't mean it is either. Game day roster starts and sits are the HC call

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
              And just because you think it's true doesn't mean it is either. Game day roster starts and sits are the HC call
              Sure they are, when the Schofields, the Stephensons, the Watsons, The Bolles and the Wilkenson’s keep staring under John Fox, Gary Kubiak, Vance Joseph and now Vic Fangio.

Keep lying to yourself because it fits the Elway narrative. Baaaa

Comment

Then why sign Dotson at all? The truth is Dotson started behind the curve and he hasn’t been good in recent years. The Bucs would rather have a rookie start at RT than bring back Dotson and they’re all in right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                  Then why sign Dotson at all? The truth is Dotson started behind the curve and he hasn’t been good in recent years. The Bucs would rather have a rookie start at RT than bring back Dotson and they’re all in right now.
                  Why Not sign a player that can actually compete against your hand picked fellas? That’s the true question, oh wait I’m sure you’ll say “who” all the while Elway had a whole off-season with free agent and college prospects to choose from. Somehow Wilkenson and Bolles we’re still the better options!

Comment

Why Not sign a player that can actually compete against your hand picked fellas? That’s the true question, oh wait I’m sure you’ll say “who” all the while Elway had a whole off-season with free agent and college prospects to choose from. Somehow Wilkenson and Bolles we’re still the better options!
                    I understand your frustration but you are overlooking the free agent attempt in James. The $13 million dollar man.

Despite the failure of a signing he has been , it was an honest attempt at adding a quality Olineman. Elway deserves some credit for the effort. Then bringing in Glasgow.

Who knew James would choose to opt out. It created a scramble we are all trying to figure out.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                      I understand your frustration but you are overlooking the free agent attempt in James. The $13 million dollar man.

Despite the failure of a signing he has been , it was an honest attempt at adding a quality Olineman. Elway deserves some credit for the effort. Then bringing in Glasgow.

Who knew James would choose to opt out. It created a scramble we are all trying to figure out.
                      Dude everyone knew James wasn’t and isn’t durable enough to get through an entire NFL season let alone 4 games. How many people questioned the signing at the time?

He’ll even the likes of Dmac questioned it which is pathetic but here you are saying Elway deserves credit! That’s not absurd, he’ll it’s ludicrous!

Comment

Wilkinson was a college free agent, hardly a reason to keep him in over a guy who might play better. No FA right tackle was signed because of James and his contract. Any upgrade or sidegrade would’ve cost way too much so the only option was the draft, a castoff, or a vet nearing the end of his career. By the time we picked the top 4 OTs were off the board. With an abundance of needs you can’t justify taking the 5th best OT over the best or 2nd best at another position especially when every OT after the top 4 were considered developmental prospects at best.

You could argue taking a guy over Hamler in the 2nd but with the way the draft was conducted and how this offseason unfolded we would still very much be looking at Bolles/Wilkinson as our bookends. You can’t fix everything in one offseason, OTs will probably be a high priority in the next draft and lucky for us a few of the top guys have opted out so their stock may fall a bit.

We just have to make do with what we have. TEs and RBs are going to have to be active in pass pro and chipping before they release for routes. Drew Lock will need to continue to make quick decisions and buy time with his legs. It isn’t ideal but great QBs find ways to win.

Comment

Dude everyone knew James wasn’t and isn’t durable enough to get through an entire NFL season let alone 4 games. How many people questioned the signing at the time?

He’ll even the likes of Dmac questioned it which is pathetic but here you are saying Elway deserves credit! That’s not absurd, he’ll it’s ludicrous!
                          I’ve been critical of Elway’s decisions too. His decisions to either do or not do specific moves. But we also have the benefit of hindsight. Rarely do we fans have the insight into the details of the overall decisions at the time they are made.

In James case, Elway was working under the impression he had a starter at RT. James opting out is not something they planned. Same as an injury to a key player. The decisions are made with that player included. Someone goes down for the season it creates a scramble to fix it.

And “insiders” like DMac typically have the same info we have only a day or two earlier. His opinions have little more value over yours or mine. He and his profession just have a louder voice.

Your hyperbole of how poor a job you believe Elway is doing is focused just on the failures or questionable moves. Not the overall picture. If I am reading the previous posts correctly that is what has been pointed out to you and you are not getting it.

You are like some gambler friends of mine that will go on and on about how smart they are to win $5k last weekend but completely block out the $10K they lost the previous month.

Elway is far from perfect. We can be critical of the decisions but in the end he is the one that has to make the hard choices that get recorded. You and I can be wrong and no one cares on a fan board. Even when we attempt to prove how “ right “ we were with others.
                          Last edited by FR Tim; 09-08-2020, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                            I’ve been critical of Elway’s decisions too. His decisions to either do or not do specific moves. But we also have the benefit of hindsight. Rarely do we fans have the insight into the details of the overall decisions at the time they are made.

In James case, Elway was working under the impression he had a starter at RT. James opting out is not something they planned. Same as an injury to a key player. The decisions are made with that player included. Someone goes down for the season it creates a scramble to fix it.

And “insiders” like DMac typically have the same info we have only a day or two earlier. His opinions have little more value over yours or mine. He and his profession just have a louder voice.

Your hyperbole of how poor a job you believe Elway is doing is focused just on the failures or questionable moves. Not the overall picture. If I am reading the previous posts correctly that is what has been pointed out to you and you are not getting it.

You are like some gambler friends of mine that will go on and on about how smart they are to win $5k last weekend but completely block out the $10K they lost the previous month.

Elway is far from perfect. We can be critical of the decisions but in the end he is the one that has to make the hard choices that get recorded. You and I can be wrong and no one cares on a fan board. Even when we attempt to prove how “ right “ we were with others.
                            I like your post. I have taken shots at Elway myself, almost always with hindsight available. The James signing was controversial but at the time I liked it because we needed to improve the position and a healthy James did that. I did not see James taking the year off for COVID and Elway likely didn't either which is why they weren't as aggressive with a OT in the draft.

Elway has made some bad moves with offseason and coaching decisions.. He does deserve credit for putting together a couple of better drafts the last 2 years. Injuries suck. That won't change in sports. The proof if Elway learned from these mistakes is if the near future he pays a ton of money to an injury prone player. Gordon might prove to be one of those bad moves, but we will have to wait and see.
                            Last edited by WYBRONCO; 09-08-2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• I saw this article online Today.

Sam Monson from Pro Football Focus apparently has no love for Drew Lock in 2020.

By Tim Lynch on September 8, 2020 :

Isaiah J. Downing-USA TODAY Sports:
                              Everyone seems to love Drew Lock and the potential he has shown through his first season. Well everyone except Sam Monson from Pro Football Focus. He recently ranked every starting quarterback in the NFL heading into 2020 and of all 32 of them, he sees Drew Lock as the worst of the entire lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                                Wilkinson was a college free agent, hardly a reason to keep him in over a guy who might play better. No FA right tackle was signed because of James and his contract. Any upgrade or sidegrade would’ve cost way too much so the only option was the draft, a castoff, or a vet nearing the end of his career. By the time we picked the top 4 OTs were off the board. With an abundance of needs you can’t justify taking the 5th best OT over the best or 2nd best at another position especially when every OT after the top 4 were considered developmental prospects at best.

You could argue taking a guy over Hamler in the 2nd but with the way the draft was conducted and how this offseason unfolded we would still very much be looking at Bolles/Wilkinson as our bookends. You can’t fix everything in one offseason, OTs will probably be a high priority in the next draft and lucky for us a few of the top guys have opted out so their stock may fall a bit.

We just have to make do with what we have. TEs and RBs are going to have to be active in pass pro and chipping before they release for routes. Drew Lock will need to continue to make quick decisions and buy time with his legs. It isn’t ideal but great QBs find ways to win.
                                Good post.

Prior to the draft RT wasn't a top priority for the offense because Ja'Wuan James opted out on 3 August. LT was probably considered more of a need and, if I'm not mistaken, the Broncos interviewed the top four T prospects prior to the draft. WR was also an offensive need. The general view seemed to be that Jerry Jeudy would be gone by the time Denver picked at #15 and that one of the top four T prospects would still be there.

As it turned out there was a run on Tackles and all four of the top guys were gone by #15. Due to runs on QBs (3), DL (3) and Corners (2) and the Raiders opting for Henry Ruggs III, Jeudy was there and Denver took him which was the correct decision IMO. Six Tackles ended up being selected in the first round. The two after #15 were Austin Jackson at #18 and Isaiah Wilson at #29. Does anyone think Denver should have selected a T at #15 with Jeudy still available? If one of the top four Tackles had still been there, would Denver have picked him? We'll never know. The top four Tackles are currently listed as starters, three at LT and one at RT.

Denver's second round pick was at #46 and they took K.J. Hamler. The only T selected in the second round was Ezra Cleveland by the Vikings at #58. He is currently listed as their second string LG. Would he be a starting T for Denver right now? No way to know.

Denver had three picks in the third round. They took Corner Michael Ojemudia at #77, C Lloyd Cushenberry at #83 and DT McTelvin Agim at #95. Corner was/is a major need and Ojemudia was kept on the roster; we'll see how he does. I'm thrilled Lloyd was available and he is starting. Reports are that Agim had a good TC and is in the rotation on the DL. Add to that that three of Denver's D-Linemen are free agents next year, it was a good pick.

Three Tackles were picked in the third round after McTelvin: Lucas Niang at #96; Matt Peart at #99; and, Tyre Phillips at #106. Niang opted out, Peart is listed as second string RT and Phillips is listed as second string LT. Will Peart and Phillips contribute to their teams as much as McTelvin this year? We would need to check the snap counts at the end of the season, but I'm inclined to think Agim will play while Peart and Phillips may not. Would Peart and/or Phillips be starting at T in Denver? No way to know.

Tackle is still a need going forward, but the interior O--Line is not because of: developing Austin Schlottmann since 2018; drafting Dalton "Route 66" Risner last year; signing Graham Glasgow this year; and drafting Lloyd Cushenberry and Netane Muti this year. As you say, everything can't be fixed in one offseason. IMO it was a good one with good signings, trades, draft and UDFAs.
                                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                                X