Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Pressure arrived after 2 seconds, and that’s when DL rolled into the sack/fumble. I know he’s a gunslinger and trying to make a play... but that’s the knock on him and used as a reason why he won’t make it.

We saw that today... he hasn’t learned what not to do. Throw ball away and live to fight another day.

It’s not an indictment on the young kid... 0-2 not on him... but he did miss the throw last week, and he did turn a busted play into a game changing momentum swing bc he wasn’t prepared...if Dupree and Watt wasn’t on his mind, then we have big problems bc he lacks situational intelligence.
    He had one second after receiving the ball and he's used to moving and throwing on the run because the tackle position has been suspect since he started. He's usually forced to scramble out to evade pressure, and his mobility has successfully masked our OL issues -but not in this instance. Once he left the game we saw just how bad they are again with the less mobile Driskell.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Elway won’t go RT bc J-James will be back. DEN mad him highest paid RT in sport as a free agent...

There’s no way you get a top pick and you ignore QB. Lock is nice but we took Fant and Risner ahead of him, we avoided him like the plague last year and now he’s missed significant time his first 2 years... His stats, when playing, are no better than TS...

Look, I’m cool giving Lock even all of next season. But if we pass on TL and these other students QB next draft and go 2-14 anyway and Lock stinks it up... Man, we would’ve missed a golden opportunity...
      That’s not completely accurate. Lock is much better at getting rid of the ball. He doesn’t have as many negative plays as TS. You wash your mouth out mister!!
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
        It's time Elway brings in Kaepernick. The move will help rebuild this team quicker. Think past this this season because the broncos aren't winning anything in the 2020-2021 season
        Leave everything else out of it, do you really think a QB who has been out of the league for 4 years and played badly the last time he was a starting QB is the difference between this team winning and losing?

If your argument is that bringing in a veteran QB to speed along the development of the younger players is the right path, then I would put forward trading for Alex Smith, or signing Eli Manning as better options. I don't think Denver would, or should do either, but I think that's the veteran QB play that helps the younger players.

Comment

• Again, I saw it differently. I saw DL receive ball and had plenty of time to read play, feeL pressure, and get rid of ball. Fire drill or alarm or whatever should’ve been on his mind presnap and development of action would have reinforced my thinking... get rid of ball...

Do not roll out and extend play. But Drew didn’t want to settle for 3 points and was trying to make a big play. That thinking cost his team.

Comment

Again, I saw it differently. I saw DL receive ball and had plenty of time to read play, feeL pressure, and get rid of ball. Fire drill or alarm or whatever should’ve been on his mind presnap and development of action would have reinforced my thinking... get rid of ball...

Do not roll out and extend play. But Drew didn’t want to settle for 3 points and was trying to make a big play. That thinking cost his team.
            But where do you want him to go with the ball? Initially I thought Fant was a viable option, but the defender had inside leverage and Fant didn't break outside until 10 yards. If he goes 5 yards and posts up, he's an option, but he didn't. And Hamler comes wide open, but it doesn't happen until after Lock starts to stumble and his eyes are now looking at the ground.

It's easy to say he needs to get rid of it (and I do think at times today he was holding the ball too long) but on that play, he had no option throw the ball, and he'd need to start rolling right, as he did, in order to get rid of it without a penalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
              That’s not completely accurate. Lock is much better at getting rid of the ball. He doesn’t have as many negative plays as TS. You wash your mouth out mister!!
              That is definitely true. Hurts to type... which was why I was extremely disappointed in DL for putting himself in that position. We know we have no RT, we needed those 3 points... OC or HC or somebody should’ve have been in his ear to get ball out under 2.5 seconds...1

Not end of world, but it now costs DL half a season and maybe even his starting job. A shame. I was hoping to watch him this season and next to see if he had a chance.

Now, well... I am getting near Trevor Lawrence
              Area

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                But where do you want him to go with the ball? Initially I thought Fant was a viable option, but the defender had inside leverage and Fant didn't break outside until 10 yards. If he goes 5 yards and posts up, he's an option, but he didn't. And Hamler comes wide open, but it doesn't happen until after Lock starts to stumble and his eyes are now looking at the ground.

It's easy to say he needs to get rid of it (and I do think at times today he was holding the ball too long) but on that play, he had no option throw the ball, and he'd need to start rolling right, as he did, in order to get rid of it without a penalty.
                Step up or to right and throw ball out of bounds... even when he rolled out, notice the lack of Ball Security as he is swinging arm around.

Not blaming Lock... but after last week’s loss I expected some growth.

Comment

Again, I saw it differently. I saw DL receive ball and had plenty of time to read play, feeL pressure, and get rid of ball. Fire drill or alarm or whatever should’ve been on his mind presnap and development of action would have reinforced my thinking... get rid of ball...

I don’t know. I guess you could see it that way. But even if you’re right it’s not Lock’s normal tendency to hold the ball too long and take unnecessary risks. He usually gets the ball out quickly and does a good job of protecting the ball. And that play would have never happened if the RT didn’t get beat like he was blind. I think it was too late for him by the time he saw Dupree.
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                    I don’t know. I guess you could see it that way. But even if you’re right it’s not Lock’s normal tendency to hold the ball too long and take unnecessary risks. He usually gets the ball out quickly and does a good job of protecting the ball. And that play would have never happened if the RT didn’t get beat like he was blind. I think it was too late for him by the time he saw Dupree.
                    That I agree with. But he did throw ball off the back foot a few times against TEN, which almost cost team an INT...

Injury prone and turnover prone is the quickest route to Bustville.

Anybody born outside North Korea should understand the DEN pass blocking woes for 4 years... if we credit DL for helping OL not give up sacks... then he can’t escape blame when he runs into a sack.

Dice he became a starter, I think DEN last I’m sacks allowed...

But DL rolled out and ran into pressure, he didn’t protect the ball... against a top defense, on the road, that’s a receipt for disaster... early in the first Q, with the game plan still fresh between the ears under the helmet...

Oh well.

Unfortunately, that play might’ve doomed his DEN career. If he missed 8 games and we end up with a top 5 pick... Not good for Drew.

Comment

• It's easy enough to check the timing of the play. just start the video and try to say "one one thousand" or "one Mississippi" from the time Lock actually received the ball to when Watt contacted him.

If there had been an eligible receiver in front of him he could have completed a shovel pass, but that's about it.

I think some people are being too hard on him, and expecting too much, and with so little time I doubt even a veteran like Kurt Warner in the prime of the GSOT could have done much there.

And really the onus needs to be on the OT problem here not the QB. It would have been better if they rotated in the backup or given EW a TE. We have to have protection. I said it all offseason long while people were slobbering over WRs. Now with Driskell in there for a while, it's essential. He can't endure six sacks a game or he's going to be injured soon too.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Step up or to right and throw ball out of bounds... even when he rolled out, notice the lack of Ball Security as he is swinging arm around.

Not blaming Lock... but after last week’s loss I expected some growth.
                        If he steps up there's a Steelers LB right in the hole, looks like he's spying Lock and goes with Gordon eventually. If he rolls to the right to throw it away he ends up exactly where he was with the same pressure hitting him. Maybe roll left? Maybe, but the Steelers were running a stunt and the tackle was going wide to where he'd go. Unfortunately the right decision on that play may have been a Peyton style self sack.

It's fine to be critical of Lock and how long he was holding onto the ball, but after seeing that play multiple times, that play is not one he should be criticized for there weren't any good options.

Comment

• Sure, blame deserves to be on Fangio and Schurmur for not drilling it into the kid’s head: under no circumstance do you take chances like that, against their defense. You play right into their strength.

DEN can’t afford to leave points on the field and we need to start realizing 3 points is OK. Too often we take these risks and knock us out of FG position.

Our OL sucks. It has for 4+ years... it wasn’t even that great when we went on out 2015 run... feels like RT an issue since Orlando Franklin was moved to OG.

Not faulting DL, but the knock on Lock
                          Is he is a gambler and will turn the ball
                          Over. His deep ball is atrocious, from
                          What we’ve seen... and now he won’t get much needed experience bc he will be on the sideline from 6-12 games.

It is what it is. Fault or no fault, here we are. And, like I said, most analysts talking about that play fault Lock... they admit EW stinks and there was pressure... but, I think if he slowed that play down in his head, he would’ve been able to either buy another time to hit wide open crossing WR or, the safe play, throw ball away.

I mean, if there was that much pressure then why aren’t 2 hands protecting that ball?
                          Last edited by fraguela09; 09-20-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                            You are correct. It may have been 4 seconds before he was sacked but got pressured almost instantly.
                            Not only that but lock was tripped as soon as he moved to avoid the pressure and was already falling when he was hit... he couldnt have thrown the ball away if he tried
                            sigpic
                            when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• Shame Lock is going to miss time. Driskel made some plays but I think we're back to this position where the defense is going to need to carry us, and with Miller out it just seems like a very tall order.

I really want to stay optimistic about the season. Chiefs didn't look so invincible today. But we've dug ourselves big holes the past 3 years at the start in the W-L column and it looks like we're on pace to do it again this season. Again, one game at a time and I hope we can turn things around but I really think we need to do it quick or we'll waste another opportunity to contend.
                              A book I wrote

Comment

• Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                                Not only that but lock was tripped as soon as he moved to avoid the pressure and was already falling when he was hit... he couldnt have thrown the ball away if he tried
                                That’s why you get 2 hands on the ball, no?

Comment

Working...
                                X