Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    Well the play yesterday where he got hurt was pretty much his entire fault. There was no excuse for him to take that hit - he should have just rolled out and as soon as he saw the pressure coming thrown it away. He waited too long for a receiver to get open and paid for it.
    That’s where it gets tough, at what point does he quit on a play? The whole appeal of Lock is his ability to make plays outside the pocket. He’s not going to be good if they try to turn him into a pocket passer to avoid injury.

Hopefully this injury was just a freak thing, he heals up and and we never look back. But, it’s not surprising at this point many are having second thoughts on Lock.

Comment

• Okay I see some of the opinion that Lock needs to understand when to get rid of the ball faster or take the sack and move on. I kind of agree with the first point, but Elway scrambled and didn't take sacks when he played and quite frankly made plays almost no else besides maybe, Farve, Mahommes, and Rodgers could make in the history of football. Lock doesn't have that talent I would agree, but making plays outside the pockets is his game right now. I wouldn't want to stand in the pocket for very long when Wilkinson completely wiffs multiple times on TJ Watt.

Obviously protecting your body is a part of the QB responsibility. With our speed and route running at WR and TE extending plays can lead to points. I am not going to fault Lock for trying to make a play and getting hurt in the process this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
        That’s where it gets tough, at what point does he quit on a play? The whole appeal of Lock is his ability to make plays outside the pocket. He’s not going to be good if they try to turn him into a pocket passer to avoid injury.

Hopefully this injury was just a freak thing, he heals up and and we never look back. But, it’s not surprising at this point many are having second thoughts on Lock.
        Great post, looks like me slow typing copied most of what you said.

Comment

• Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
          Okay I see some of the opinion that Lock needs to understand when to get rid of the ball faster or take the sack and move on. I kind of agree with the first point, but Elway scrambled and didn't take sacks when he played and quite frankly made plays almost no else besides maybe, Farve, Mahommes, and Rodgers could make in the history of football. Lock doesn't have that talent I would agree, but making plays outside the pockets is his game right now. I wouldn't want to stand in the pocket for very long when Wilkinson completely wiffs multiple times on TJ Watt.

Obviously protecting your body is a part of the QB responsibility. With our speed and route running at WR and TE extending plays can lead to points. I am not going to fault Lock for trying to make a play and getting hurt in the process this time.
          Mahomes seems to rarely get hit, same thing with Russell Wilson, maybe they’re just fast enough to avoid contact. Other guys like Favre and Elway got hit all the time, I guess they had bodies that could take the punishment, or were addicted to painkillers.

Self sacks and pocket passing isn’t the answer for Lock. It’s simply if he can’t take the punishment with the style of play that makes him successful, then he’s not going to be an NFL QB very long.

Comment

Mahomes seems to rarely get hit, same thing with Russell Wilson, maybe they’re just fast enough to avoid contact. Other guys like Favre and Elway got hit all the time, I guess they had bodies that could take the punishment, or were addicted to painkillers.

Self sacks and pocket passing isn’t the answer for Lock. It’s simply if he can’t take the punishment with the style of play that makes him successful, then he’s not going to be an NFL QB very long.
            Wilson gets sacked all the time. He just seems to be quite durable.
            sigpic

Comment

• Well, it sucks that he got hurt, for sure,

I'm not going to start spewing vitriol over the guy because the big upside is supposed to be playmaking. He was trying to make a play, took it a little too far, got hurt. That simple. Totally sucks, but that's pro sport for ya.

Still, o-line remains to be a major issue. Banking on a shaky starting 5 with major depth issues was never a good strategy. It hasn't been for years. The o-line is and has remained a major issue for a very long time.
              sigpic

Comment

In fairness, Drew Locks’s stats are actually slightly better than Russell Wilson’s after his first 6 games.

But, 2 injuries to his throwing arm in just a handful of games is not good, not good at all. Hopefully he only misses a couple and comes back and tears it up. But, at moment things aren’t looking good for him, you gotta protect your arm at all costs as a QB.
                Given that 6 games in Russell Wilson had beat Cowboys, Packers, Panthers and Patriots, I think it is safe to say that we would have loved if Lock had gotten the better of the 2018 SB champ and the 2019 SB looser, but that is not what we have.

Comment

• Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                  Pit just manhandled NYG on MNF, and they have 2 of the best edge guys in NFL. I have to imagine HC and OC mentioned getting ball out to him.

DL received snap and had 2 seconds to make a decision... instead of throwing ball away he gambled he could make a play... welcome to the NFL.

After Week 1, Imagine coaches preached ball
                  Security (MG fumble)... I imagine play call
                  Was designed to go to hot read and get ball out. Lock isn’t a rookie... he’s in his second year... that was a mental gaffe of epic proportions... he is a professional now and should know that he doesn’t have 5 seconds to make a decision in the NFL.

Again, from ball snap to tackle... over 4 seconds...
                  You just have an axe to grind. When he comes to his second read at just before 1 second after the ball has been snapped, the next thing he sees is the RT getting destroyed and 90 less than 10 feet away from him. It's not like he had a clear 4 seconds standing in the pocket without being able to make a decision.

Quit being ridiculous.
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncoyearound View Post
                    My take on him is this is two years now and if he misses significant time well you can't tout him as our franchise if he's always hurt. What good is Lock on the bench? Its a business so in my mind if he can't protect himself or if he's constantly missing games no way am I going to bet the future on the kid. Injuries happen I get that but at the same time you are missing a lot of time and it seems like he plays with a reckless style. it seems 2-6 weeks he's going to have to finish real strong for me to change my outlook on him but so far I'm not as high on him like I was. Time will tell I guess
                    How is he supposed to protect himself from the offensive line getting destroyed and not being able to run out a stunt? How does he protect himself from 5 and 7 step drops?

I WILL say that the book is out that he drifts to his right out of the pocket. If he can't get that fixed and start climbing UP in the pocket, he's donezo.
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
                      Given that 6 games in Russell Wilson had beat Cowboys, Packers, Panthers and Patriots, I think it is safe to say that we would have loved if Lock had gotten the better of the 2018 SB champ and the 2019 SB looser, but that is not what we have.
                      Seahawks did have the #1 defense that year, Marshawn Lynch, and 3 of those 4 wins were in Seattle where they rarely lose anyway.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure a fair number of QBs would get hurt on the play Lock did. Bud Dupree is rough.

It's true, he has to learn to live to fight another down.

However, what is Lock supposed to do on that exact play? Watt beats Wilkinson very quickly. Drew sees it and tries to escape. Bolles loses his man, or is it a designed stunt? (Dupree), and Freeman abandons ship, so Dupree is unimpeded. Meanwhile Watt trips Drew, Drew stumbles, and while he is stumbling Dupree whacks him awkwardly.

I'm not faulting Drew on that play. The O-line failed horribly, and the team failed to address the O-line... again.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post
                          I'm pretty sure a fair number of QBs would get hurt on the play Lock did. Bud Dupree is rough.

It's true, he has to learn to live to fight another down.

However, what is Lock supposed to do on that exact play? Watt beats Wilkinson very quickly. Drew sees it and tries to escape. Bolles loses his man, or is it a designed stunt? (Dupree), and Freeman abandons ship, so Dupree is unimpeded. Meanwhile Watt trips Drew, Drew stumbles, and while he is stumbling Dupree whacks him awkwardly.

I'm not faulting Drew on that play. The O-line failed horribly, and the team failed to address the O-line... again.
                          This exactly. He needs better decision making in regards to pocket awareness and getting rid of the ball, but he had nothing to do with that play going the way it did. About the best thing he could have done there was just fallen on the ball and took the sack, but he had no idea that Dupree had came free on a stunt. The way he's falling forward, he doesn't even have an angle to get the ball to the sideline.

Someone needs to sit the Broncos front office and show this play to them on repeat. Because this is gonna happen to every QB you play if you don't fix the line. Yeah, go ahead, put Trevor Lawrence back there. You'll get him killed too.

Line needs fixed, unfortunately there isn't much that can be done now about it. This is 5 years of bad drafting and FA decisions coming home to roost.
                          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                            This exactly. He needs better decision making in regards to pocket awareness and getting rid of the ball, but he had nothing to do with that play going the way it did. About the best thing he could have done there was just fallen on the ball and took the sack, but he had no idea that Dupree had came free on a stunt. The way he's falling forward, he doesn't even have an angle to get the ball to the sideline.

Someone needs to sit the Broncos front office and show this play to them on repeat. Because this is gonna happen to every QB you play if you don't fix the line. Yeah, go ahead, put Trevor Lawrence back there. You'll get him killed too.

Line needs fixed, unfortunately there isn't much that can be done now about it. This is 5 years of bad drafting and FA decisions coming home to roost.
                            If by some miracle TL falls in our laps I have a feeling JE and Co. will all of a sudden care about addressing OL in the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

Watching the play again in slow-mo there was nothing Lock could’ve done. My only question is why didn’t EW hold?? Take the penalty and save your QB when you’re that badly beaten. The dude even sucks and sucking ha!

Comment

Watching the play again in slow-mo there was nothing Lock could’ve done. My only question is why didn’t EW hold?? Take the penalty and save your QB when you’re that badly beaten. The dude even sucks and sucking ha!
                                Because Lock has bailed him and the rest of the line out ever since he’s been in the lineup. If Risner doesn’t screw up the stunt he picks up Dupree and Lock regains his balance and can get rid of the ball. That’s just the youth of the team going up against an extremely exotic defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X