Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Because Lock has bailed him and the rest of the line out ever since he’s been in the lineup. If Risner doesn’t screw up the stunt he picks up Dupree and Lock regains his balance and can get rid of the ball. That’s just the youth of the team going up against an extremely exotic defense.
    True, had he not stumbled, he probably even makes a play

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
      Because Lock has bailed him and the rest of the line out ever since he’s been in the lineup. If Risner doesn’t screw up the stunt he picks up Dupree and Lock regains his balance and can get rid of the ball. That’s just the youth of the team going up against an extremely exotic defense.
      Wilkinson wasn't the only guy getting beat yesterday,
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
        Wilson gets sacked all the time. He just seems to be quite durable.
        He also is very good at managing the QB spot when the pass protection is bad on his team. Like throwing the ball away to avoid hits. He is probably the best I have ever seen at avoiding pressure.

Wilson is The Next Level in terms of a lot of skills at the QB spot.

When we talk about Wilson and Mahomes and compare QBs to them it is like comparing the rest of the world to a guy with skills no one else in the world has.

We can hope our guy gets better but in the real world he will probably never have some of the skills those guy do on the level in which they have it.

Saw a interesting article once about how PM was very aware of his physical limitations compared to some other Qbs which is why he tried to make sure no one was more prepared than him. He would engage everyone in the team building to help make sure the team was as prepared as possible.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
          If by some miracle TL falls in our laps I have a feeling JE and Co. will all of a sudden care about addressing OL in the draft.
          If Lawrence is even in the realm of drafting, it means they tanked on purpose, and IMO, everyone should go for doing that. I wouldn't trust these guys to develop Lawrence into a star anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            How much of his bad play is effecting the chemistry and team work of the pass protection?

Like I mentioned in the other thread that is probably only really known in the locker room but I think it is happening as I agree with you....I am seeing other people make some bad decisions.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              He also is very good at managing the QB spot when the pass protection is bad on his team. Like throwing the ball away to avoid hits. He is probably the best I have ever seen at avoiding pressure.

Wilson is The Next Level in terms of a lot of skills at the QB spot.

When we talk about Wilson and Mahomes and compare QBs to them it is like comparing the rest of the world to a guy with skills no one else in the world has.

We can hope our guy gets better but in the real world he will probably never have some of the skills those guy do on the level in which they have it.

Saw a interesting article once about how PM was very aware of his physical limitations compared to some other Qbs which is why he tried to make sure no one was more prepared than him. He would engage everyone in the team building to help make sure the team was as prepared as possible.
              Saying we should get rid of a QB because he’s not instantly as good as Wilson or Mahomes is just silly. I don’t think any poster saying that is actually being serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                How much of his bad play is effecting the chemistry and team work of the pass protection?

Like I mentioned in the other thread that is probably only really known in the locker room but I think it is happening as I agree with you....I am seeing other people make some bad decisions.
                Depends on the calls. If pass protection slides to the right, it mostly affects LT. If they play it straight and Wilkinson is getting beat outside, he'll need help from a TE or Back. If that's the case it wouldn't have much effect on O-Line chemistry, but would affect formations and calls. Denver's own roster lists Eli as a G/T.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• The talk seems to be of Lock and his protection and his ability to escape, but what about the poor deep balls we have seen? This is a passing league, and when the line has held up and we have taken a few deep shots ( even the final 4 games of last year) they have been way off.

I have seen quite a few throws into tight windows and on the run that let me see his potential. Throws that I don't think many guys can make tbh- but we have so much speed on this team that we need to be able to take advantage of those deep opportunities that are going to be there often. I hope that area of his game significantly improves, but the reality is he will have less time to prove it now.

To maximize the value of all this inexpensive talent on offense, we have to have a decision on Lock by the end of the year. Hopefully when he's back he gets to step into an offense that has figured a few things out and is ready to roll.

Comment

• Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                    The talk seems to be of Lock and his protection and his ability to escape, but what about the poor deep balls we have seen? This is a passing league, and when the line has held up and we have taken a few deep shots ( even the final 4 games of last year) they have been way off.

I have seen quite a few throws into tight windows and on the run that let me see his potential. Throws that I don't think many guys can make tbh- but we have so much speed on this team that we need to be able to take advantage of those deep opportunities that are going to be there often. I hope that area of his game significantly improves, but the reality is he will have less time to prove it now.

To maximize the value of all this inexpensive talent on offense, we have to have a decision on Lock by the end of the year. Hopefully when he's back he gets to step into an offense that has figured a few things out and is ready to roll.
                    Deep balls are about chemistry with WRs as much as it is arm strength and speed. He hasn’t had a chance to develop chemistry

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                      Saying we should get rid of a QB because he’s not instantly as good as Wilson or Mahomes is just silly. I don’t think any poster saying that is actually being serious.
                      Probably one of the most consistent thing on these forums is the amount of over the top negativity after a Bronco loss. Even when I was mostly a viewer and not a poster 15 years ago it was happening.

Comment

Depends on the calls. If pass protection slides to the right, it mostly affects LT. If they play it straight and Wilkinson is getting beat outside, he'll need help from a TE or Back. If that's the case it wouldn't have much effect on O-Line chemistry, but would affect formations and calls. Denver's own roster lists Eli as a G/T.
                        Never been on a NFL Pass Protection unit but I can relate what I know of the work environment in general and what I have herd multiple people say.

Have herd multiple good OL talk about the team work of the OL. From the Alex Gibbs days and the few vocal OL guys from those days I know Pass Protection involves more than just the T, G and C. It involves RBs, FBs and TEs.

In my work experience I have seen many people start making "reasons" why their performance will maybe not be 100% when they see their team mates always fail HARD. Failure is contagious in the work place. There are some people who seem to be immune to this contagion but for every person immune there is 1-2 who get affected by it. I think 0-1 of these guys do not even make it to the NFL level. I do wonder if we talking about a Pass Protection unit of 5 OL, 2-3 RB/FB and 3 TEs....maybe have these guys who are highly talented at other things...maybe one or more of them are guys who maybe will not perform their best when one of the people on the team fails HARD at their job.

It may not even be a slacker thing...it just may be a lack of confidence in the team thing.

This is one of the reasons if I had the option I would replace that guy failing HARD with just about anyone. For the sake of the team.

Comment

• A lot is riding on this injury.

If it is severe and Lock doesn't play much or plays poorly due to playing with a sore shoulder, it will definitely bring into question if he can actually be the guy. I'm obviously a Lock fan, but he needs to prove it on the field. If he doesn't get a chance, or plays badly, it could possibly lend towards yet another QB change - especially if they have a bad enough record to have a chance at the TL sweepstakes.

On the other hand, if they have a losing record, but Lock plays well and looks the part, they could have a chance to build more through the draft with more draft capital.

I'm definitely not expecting a playoff berth regardless, but there's a whole slew of scenarios that are riding on this injury.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Even with all the bad stuff yesterday, The backup QB seemed to do Ok. And we could have won that game.

Comment

No but he was definitely the worst of the bunch. Risner seems to have regressed and Cushenberry was always going to be a work in progress. At least Bolles and Glasgow seem solid so far. I wonder if anyone is making the line calls on the field. I didn’t see Lock doing it and I doubt they’re relying on a rookie for it. There were a lot of free rushes from blitzing DBs yesterday, almost seems like they’re just going off the front they see when they line up.

I know Driskell hasn’t played much but he’s going to have to get those free blitzers to show themselves presnap and call it out to this young oline. Our QB coach needs to get into his head about hard counts, it’s more than a tool to draw defenders offsides.

Comment

• Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                                A lot is riding on this injury.

If it is severe and Lock doesn't play much or plays poorly due to playing with a sore shoulder, it will definitely bring into question if he can actually be the guy. I'm obviously a Lock fan, but he needs to prove it on the field. If he doesn't get a chance, or plays badly, it could possibly lend towards yet another QB change - especially if they have a bad enough record to have a chance at the TL sweepstakes.

On the other hand, if they have a losing record, but Lock plays well and looks the part, they could have a chance to build more through the draft with more draft capital.

I'm definitely not expecting a playoff berth regardless, but there's a whole slew of scenarios that are riding on this injury.
                                Yes, but why target yet another QB when the problem is the oline? You can put Mahomes, Wilson, Brady or any other QB on this team and they will get destroyed without an effective line. Drafting Lawrence in the hope that he alone turns things around is just insanity.

Comment

Working...
                                X