Special Teams 2019 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Teams 2019 Thread

So we keep hearing about our poor ST play yet I am not seeing or hearing any real discussion on it. First who the heck will be returning for us this season? We've seen Khalfani Muhammad back there who I've been wondering why we are not seeing more of. He had a 20 yard return last game and a 24 yard return in game 2. I'd like to see more of him back there as well as having him take more of a role in this last game.

Do we think our issues can be corrected? Do we think the issues are WHO is returning or how they are being blocked or both?
    Last edited by Rich_C; 08-27-2019, 09:08 AM.

Finding another Punter is a possibility.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

All of these are Great Questions to be honest I do not really know I guess I will find out Week 1.

Comment

I read a post somewhere (I think it was Mile High Report) that based on quotes from Fangio said we should expect starters to play special teams. Hopefully that will improve things. Seattle (they've been great at STs for years) usually use some starters, it wasn't unusual to see Chancellor and Thomas out there on various specials.

I don't think the punt returner is on the team yet. I think they'll go shopping for someone after cut down day. Muhammad is a possibility, but does he offer anything else to the roster?

I also think they'll go shopping for punters. It's great to have a long leg (Wadman has a decent one) but without hang time it doesn't matter. A 46 yard punt with low hang time will probably end up in a net 35 yard punt or worse. A guy who kicks it 40 yards but puts a lot of air under it forces a fair catch. A 40 yard punt with a fair catch is a 40 yard net.

Comment

Starters on STs sounds pretty crazy, if one is an opponent. There are some big time head hunters among Denver's starters.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

So we feel that hang-time is an issue. With the injuries which seem to be more and more common in today's NFL I'd be pretty worried if we started to play too many starters on ST's. I'd like to see what people think is if we get the right overall blocking that a guy like K.Muhammed (SP) could be the right guy for returns OR if blocking is not really the issue then we need a better return guy. My only argument for K.Muhammed being the right guy is that he has been far and above the most effective of our players at that spot. I also think that given that speed and shiftiness is a good thing that having Lindsay and him on the roster or even on the field at the same time might not be a bad thing for our offense.

Comment

Working...
            X