Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duke Dawson......who knows anything about this young man?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke Dawson......who knows anything about this young man?

Apparently we gave New England next year's 6th round pick for this kid and their 7th. Any idea what he's got?

Side Note: Does anyone else think releasing Cravens means we plan to move Jamal Carter back to safety?
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

High on the Broncos draft board after picking Sutton.

Overview

Compact, strong slot corner who can beat up finesse receivers when he's allowed to crowd and disrupt the route release. Dawson can match and blanket underneath, but hip tightness shows up when he's forced to turn and run from a backpedal. Dawson can handle himself in man or zone coverage and is ready to work when run support calls. He has some length and speed limitations, but he has the instincts and cover talent to become a starting nickel cornerback.

Strengths

Impedes receiver release with patient, mirrored footwork
    High connection rate when jamming from press
    Rarely opens hips before receiver shows his release
    Plays with choppy, fast feet and good acceleration when transitioning
    Football intelligence and instincts are a plus
    Digests route combinations
    Feels breaks and shades early
    Slant stopper
    Attacks high side or trail side to ruin the catch point
    Smothered Christian Kirk from Texas A&M
    Allowed less than 40 percent completion rate in each of the last two seasons
    Head swivels and eyes dart to search for route traffic from zone
    Gritty and competitive in run support
    Looks to step in and stick runners with force

Weaknesses

Considered an average athlete in scouting circles
    Short strider with hips that are a little tight when opening
    Has issues opening smoothly and staying mirrored with early route stems when playing off
    Can get grabby
    Needs to crowd and keep a hand on his opponent
    Long speed is average
    Gives up some separation to burners
    Short arms stymie opportunities to challenge the catch downfield
    Missed tackles arise from trying to hit over wrap as a tackler

Good football player. He just has a natural feel for the game no matter where they have lined him up. Florida has had better athletes for sure, but he's going to be an NFL contributor for sure." -- NFC team regional scout

HEIGHT 5' 11"
    WEIGHT 197 lbs
    Last edited by EddieMac; 08-30-2019, 09:20 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

He’s a nickle CB in terms of size with the tenacity of a pit bull. He ran fairly well at the combine 4.46 and was taken in the 2nd round. He’s constantly attacking the ball but doesn’t have the best hands so his INT numbers probably won’t ever tell you how good he is/can be. Pretty aggressive in run support and isn’t afraid to hit people although he doesn’t always wrap up.

I know Elway has a high grade on him and he might have been the pick had Courtland Sutton not fallen to us.

Comment

I just have a hard time believing Belichek is wrong on him. I mean how often does he ever let players go and they ball out somewhere else?
        sigpic

Comment

I will say I am concerned about the deal itself. He’s a 2nd round pick who was on IR last year. Typically those guys get a longer leash and even being moved in a trade you generally see better compensation. The patriots essentially gave him to us. I doubt anyone expected the Patriots to cut him so I doubt teams were calling the Patriots to inquire about him.

The deal says to me that the Patriots reached out to us and made this offer. Not really complaining as I think he’ll develop nicely, just seems a bit strange from the Patriots side

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
            I just have a hard time believing Belichek is wrong on him. I mean how often does he ever let players go and they ball out somewhere else?
            I'd consider Darius Butler an example. Drafted #41 overall in 2009, waived by the Patriots before the 2011 season. Butler played 6 seasons for the Colts, started a bunch of games, produced 12 interceptions and had a season with 15 pass breakups.

Bill Belichick also chose to trade Chandler Jones instead of giving him a long-term deal. He traded Jones for G Jonathan Cooper, who never played in a game for the Patriots, and a 2016 2nd-round pick that was traded to the Saints. Jones was an All-Pro for the Cardinals in 2017, with double-digit sacks in each of his 3 seasons with the team.

Belichick also benched Malcolm Butler and let him leave in FA. Butler started 11 games for the Titans last season and made 12 pass breakups and 3 interceptions.

For a swap of 6th and 7th-round picks, this move is a no-brainer for the Broncos if they had a high grade on Dawson. He does not even have to ball out, he can help on special teams, which is a need right now, and there might be some upside once he learns the defensive system.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
              I'd consider Darius Butler an example. Drafted #41 overall in 2009, waived by the Patriots before the 2011 season. Butler played 6 seasons for the Colts, started a bunch of games, produced 12 interceptions and had a season with 15 pass breakups.

Bill Belichick also chose to trade Chandler Jones instead of giving him a long-term deal. He traded Jones for G Jonathan Cooper, who never played in a game for the Patriots, and a 2016 2nd-round pick that was traded to the Saints. Jones was an All-Pro for the Cardinals in 2017, with double-digit sacks in each of his 3 seasons with the team.

Belichick also benched Malcolm Butler and let him leave in FA. Butler started 11 games for the Titans last season and made 12 pass breakups and 3 interceptions.

For a swap of 6th and 7th-round picks, this move is a no-brainer for the Broncos if they had a high grade on Dawson. He does not even have to ball out, he can help on special teams, which is a need right now, and there might be some upside once he learns the defensive system.
              I think we will have to agree to disagree on whether those stats are actually improvements on the new teams. I know my titans buddy likes Malcom Butler. But I personally think those stats are garbage for what they paid him.

Chandler Jones is probably the only exception I’ll agree with you on.
              sigpic

Comment

Welker. Except for his concussions here, he played at a high level. Unfortunately that's really the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I think Willie McGinnist was pretty good in Cleveland, but it was very hard to be good in Cleveland. Which kind of feeds my next point. How many players has Bill let go who went to a situation like this kid is coming to in Denver. One of the best Defensive coaches in football, with a DB coach as D coordinator, and two REALLY good corners on the outside. If he had played the entire season last year under Bill and was awful, I might be worried, but he didn't play at all because of injury, so I'm going to choose to be hopeful.

You make a good point though, Belichick doesn't often let go of a player who goes on to be successful. BUT, past success doesn't ALWAYS predict future success. He could have missed on this one, if for no other reason, a crowded DB room and lack of actual game tape on this kid. Let's hope for the best.
                All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Comment

belichek hasn't had the best luck with drafting CBs.
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm
                  latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
                    Welker. Except for his concussions here, he played at a high level. Unfortunately that's really the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I think Willie McGinnist was pretty good in Cleveland, but it was very hard to be good in Cleveland. Which kind of feeds my next point. How many players has Bill let go who went to a situation like this kid is coming to in Denver. One of the best Defensive coaches in football, with a DB coach as D coordinator, and two REALLY good corners on the outside. If he had played the entire season last year under Bill and was awful, I might be worried, but he didn't play at all because of injury, so I'm going to choose to be hopeful.

You make a good point though, Belichick doesn't often let go of a player who goes on to be successful. BUT, past success doesn't ALWAYS predict future success. He could have missed on this one, if for no other reason, a crowded DB room and lack of actual game tape on this kid. Let's hope for the best.
                    I don’t disagree at all and I am hopeful we can turn him around. We are a pretty solid D to help turn people around.

However I will also make the point that Elway just cut two defenders this week that he traded 5th round picks for who should’ve improved in our defense and didn’t. I think most people were not high on Watson but a lot of people were hopeful for Cravens.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                      belichek hasn't had the best luck with drafting CBs.
                      Personally I think Malcolm butler is over rated however he did get a big payday in Nashville and I think he rated pretty well last year.

Also Patrick Chung used to be a complete joke but if i recall he made a lot of big plays in the Super Bowl. I think Beli has improved him a good bit over the years.
                      sigpic

Comment

Personally I think Malcolm butler is over rated however he did get a big payday in Nashville and I think he rated pretty well last year.

Also Patrick Chung used to be a complete joke but if i recall he made a lot of big plays in the Super Bowl. I think Beli has improved him a good bit over the years.
                        Butler was awful to start the season and I believed got benched at one point. He might’ve played better down the stretch.

Brandin Cooks is another guy he let go who went on to have success. Garoppolo started off strong before the injury, we’ll find out more on that this year. Jamie Collins was really about the same in Cleveland as New England and now he’s back with the Patriots. Trent Brown in Oakland is another name to watch.

Comment

Patriots traded up with the Bucs to get him. Pats moved up from No. 63 to No. 56, but had to give up their 2019 4th round pick as well, No. 117 which became safety Jordan Whitehead.

https://tradedownisland.com/18-15/
                          Benevolent dictator of Trade Down Island!

Comment

Cornerback is the deepest position on the Patriots roster. Dawson would have been cut. Broncos probably got a pretty good player.

Belichick has a history of 2nd-round defensive back busts. Most Broncos fans have probably never heard of Ras-I Dowling or even Jordan Richards. Belichick is secure enough in his reputation that he isn’t afraid to admit a mistake.

Comment

Cornerback is the deepest position on the Patriots roster. Dawson would have been cut. Broncos probably got a pretty good player.

Belichick has a history of 2nd-round defensive back busts. Most Broncos fans have probably never heard of Ras-I Dowling or even Jordan Richards. Belichick is secure enough in his reputation that he isn’t afraid to admit a mistake.

Comment

Working...
                              X