X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    To some degree every team is rebuilding every year with free agency and the draft. Defining rebuilding is somewhat subjective. In the case of the Broncos I think it means going further with moves than previous years, for example trading or releasing players some fans believe should stay no matter what. It’s taking steps like parting ways with fan favorites like Wolfe and Sanders. Or making a clear departure from past success by trading a marquee player in Von Miller. I think it comes back to the level of rebuilding because every roster in the league changes year to year.
    Perhaps I am just a stickler for verbiage but what you first described is improving...not rebuilding. Typically rebuilding teams do one of two main/major things One is they cut dead weight. Two, as your aptly pointed out, they start to move on from assets which can get them value. Some assets like Wolfe & Sanders can likely be replaced. I'd argue that Von Miller is near impossible to replace but if two 1st rounders were offered....the value to a truly rebuilding team could be well worth it. Also for most rebuilding teams they are MULTIPLE players away from being true contenders. An improving team such as the 2014 Broncos were simply a player or two away from fielding something, dare I say, historic (defense).

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    I categorically disagree. Rebuilding implies that your were good once and are tearing it down and building new. Building can be used aptly to describe the Texans....since coming into the league they really have never had a spectacular team.
    To some degree every team is rebuilding every year with free agency and the draft. Defining rebuilding is somewhat subjective. In the case of the Broncos I think it means going further with moves than previous years, for example trading or releasing players some fans believe should stay no matter what. It’s taking steps like parting ways with fan favorites like Wolfe and Sanders. Or making a clear departure from past success by trading a marquee player in Von Miller. I think it comes back to the level of rebuilding because every roster in the league changes year to year.

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by Ondavi View Post
    "Rebuilding" is an overused, ridiculous term and concept used by losers and excuses-makers. The correct term should be "building," and it is an ongoing process for organizations that are continually successful, be it a football team or otherwise. Embrace.
    I categorically disagree. Rebuilding implies that your were good once and are tearing it down and building new. Building can be used aptly to describe the Texans....since coming into the league they really have never had a spectacular team.

Leave a comment:

• RocketArm006
    replied
    Originally posted by Ondavi View Post
    . . . "trending hard in the right direction. . . " WHAT?!?! How will you quantify if they are "trending in the right direction," KWHIT97? What a bunch of hocus pocus. Again, "rebuilding" is for losers and excuses-makers, designed to suck more monies into the "rebuilder's pockets/bank accounts, etc." The NFL is too competitive for "trending in the 'right' direction." That statement reminds me of something that a politician would say.
    Well at least you feel strongly about whatever you’re trying to say. Makes absolutely no sense, but at least you have conviction.

Leave a comment:

• orange crush75
    replied
    This one ^^^^has character lol

Leave a comment:

• Ondavi
    replied
    . . . "trending hard in the right direction. . . " WHAT?!?! How will you quantify if they are "trending in the right direction," KWHIT97? What a bunch of hocus pocus. Again, "rebuilding" is for losers and excuses-makers, designed to suck more monies into the "rebuilder's pockets/bank accounts, etc." The NFL is too competitive for "trending in the 'right' direction." That statement reminds me of something that a politician would say.

Leave a comment:

• Ear2dastreets
    replied
    Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    John is signed through 2020 I believe. Let him see it through if you ask me. No matter our feelings of him we need to see what Drew Lock has. We have had back to back promising draft classes and will have some cap space to work with. Trade Harris and Sanders for 2020 picks. See if John can throw together another good draft. Try and get an extra 1st in 2021 so if Lock doesn’t work out we can go hard after Fields or Lawrence as the face of our franchise.
    I say Elway and Fangio get the rest of this year and all of next year. If this team isn’t trending hard in the right direction towards the end of 2020 cut ties and go HARD after Ryan Day and Justin Fields from Ohio St. and get a real GM.
    How about we. Dont and say we did.

Leave a comment:

• Ondavi
    replied
    "Rebuilding" is an overused, ridiculous term and concept used by losers and excuses-makers. The correct term should be "building," and it is an ongoing process for organizations that are continually successful, be it a football team or otherwise. Embrace.

Leave a comment:

• Ondavi
    replied
    RE: the post stating . . . "sky is falling. . . There is no patience here", etc. Response: There has already been TOO MUCH patience, and Bronchos' personnel (players and management) are being paid waaaaaaay too much monies to deserve ANY more patience, and respect.

Leave a comment:

• TheAsianPA
    replied
    Originally posted by chessic View Post
    If we go to total rebuild mode, people on the forums are still going to freak out at every loss (and there will be many) and claim the sky is falling and the new players and coaches and gm are even worse than before. There is no patience here.
    The problem is that right now we are losing even without a rebuild in place. A rebuild at least will justify the losses and be building towards a better future. Right now there is no direction and vision with the team. We brought in Flacco to be a franchise QB, Fangio to maintain an elite defense, and Munchak to improve the passing and rushing attack. None of those have happened, and show no signs of improvement. This isn't the first time Elway has tried this approach - this is the 4th year attempting a bridge QB/strong defensive plan, except now we don't have a strong defense, and a bridge QB isn't going to overcome the problems we have on this team. People are going to freak out anyways, so that's not the concern. The concern is, does the team have a plan for the future? The one we have right now isn't working.

Leave a comment:

• RocketArm006
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    To be sure, I was going to mention the guys who fit the description I was referring to. I am quite sure you meant Chubb as well (but now that he's injured, we might not refer to him as often). I hope that Lock will join that club. Because if we have a quality young QB, RBs, WR, Oliner, OLB...that's a strong base of young players already. And some of our other young guys might also add to the optimism once we get to see them play a little more. Just keep adding to the fold, following the roster strategy that makes most sense. And complement with good, team oriented vets, and I think we will be a in a really good place, if not next year....the year after.

And it's ok to fill roster spots with vets, via FA. The right guys, with the right attitude, will make this team better, quicker. We are not talking huge dollars necessarily, but I am ok with slightly more expensive players if they fill a huge need.

Then the question....what to do with the proven ones that may get us some excellent return - Miller, Harris. maybe one or two others.

I am not saying Elway and company can not do it, but I am convinced that some other management types could make something really good happen with what we have.
    Well said. Pretty much on the same page with you. I only mentioned the offensive players because I think we have a better young foundation on offense right now. Chubb is definitely an exciting young pass rusher.

As far as expensive proven vets go, there needs to be a move or two, but I don’t think we need to get rid of all of them. A couple key trades and/or renegotiations would go a long way to rebuilding for the near future.

I’m advocating more for a change of philosophy and strategy. I hope Lock is the guy, but we have to see him play. I think a youth movement, particularly at QB, with some key vets sprinkled in would be a good way to start the rebuild process. Mostly, IMO, it comes down to admitting this team is in a rebuild phase and we need to identify and commit to a young franchise QB.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    I think what you're trying to say and I agree with you is...most I think would be willing to endure that. If but for nothing else than it shows we are executing a plan. Right now we have tried the same approach for 4 years and it has failed....doing it a 5th and 10th time in the NFL will not correct a teams issues. A clear direction and vision can and will change a teams fate.
    This is exactly where some of us agree, with a high degree of approval.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    Totally agree. Good news is we do have some exciting young players, especially on offense. Lindsay, Sutton, Freeman and Risner specifically. Speaking only for myself, I would be willing to endure a losing season with these guys and a young QB because it will be more enjoyable to watch a young, exciting team grow. I admit I’m very tired of the bridge QB approach.
    To be sure, I was going to mention the guys who fit the description I was referring to. I am quite sure you meant Chubb as well (but now that he's injured, we might not refer to him as often). I hope that Lock will join that club. Because if we have a quality young QB, RBs, WR, Oliner, OLB...that's a strong base of young players already. And some of our other young guys might also add to the optimism once we get to see them play a little more. Just keep adding to the fold, following the roster strategy that makes most sense. And complement with good, team oriented vets, and I think we will be a in a really good place, if not next year....the year after.

And it's ok to fill roster spots with vets, via FA. The right guys, with the right attitude, will make this team better, quicker. We are not talking huge dollars necessarily, but I am ok with slightly more expensive players if they fill a huge need.

Then the question....what to do with the proven ones that may get us some excellent return - Miller, Harris. maybe one or two others.

I am not saying Elway and company can not do it, but I am convinced that some other management types could make something really good happen with what we have.
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-05-2019, 12:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RocketArm006
    replied
    I think what you're trying to say and I agree with you is...most I think would be willing to endure that. If but for nothing else than it shows we are executing a plan. Right now we have tried the same approach for 4 years and it has failed....doing it a 5th and 10th time in the NFL will not correct a teams issues. A clear direction and vision can and will change a teams fate.
    Pretty much sums up my long winded explanation precisely. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    Totally agree. Good news is we do have some exciting young players, especially on offense. Lindsay, Sutton, Freeman and Risner specifically. Speaking only for myself, I would be willing to endure a losing season with these guys and a young QB because it will be more enjoyable to watch a young, exciting team grow. I admit I’m very tired of the bridge QB approach.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X