No announcement yet.

It really is time to move on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanahan was a pretty good GM who could get great offensive players / coaches.

Elway is a pretty good GM who can build a great defense with great defensive coaches.

Comment

• Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
      ill say this right now and its SAD.

Shanahan was a better GM then John.

Please feel free to prove me wrong.
      Elway is pretty much following the same formula. Overpay for FAs to keep the team in no man’s land and praying to hit a few players in the draft. The difference was that Shanahan could scheme his way into some wins. Aside from Kubiak all of the coaches have been doing the opposite

Comment

• A GM who can’t draft is like a quarterback who can’t pass. He might be able to win an occasional game by running himself or call good pre-snap audibles, but it is not a sustainable skill set (think Tim Tebow). If Bronco fans are satisfied with the 2019 draft because Dalton Risner is a starter as a rookie, it shows how badly we have been deprived of good drafting. It is not exceptional for second rounders to start. Risner is promising, but still only modestly performing above expectation.

Comment

• I think the last couple years have been pretty darn good drafts. I think Fant will turn out to be a big time miss mach once he gets his NFL legs and we dont know about Lock . Risner is gonna be a beast and I think our wrs are gonna be good . If Lock ends up being a really Qb then we have a home run .

Comment

• Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
            A GM who can’t draft is like a quarterback who can’t pass. He might be able to win an occasional game by running himself or call good pre-snap audibles, but it is not a sustainable skill set (think Tim Tebow). If Bronco fans are satisfied with the 2019 draft because Dalton Risner is a starter as a rookie, it shows how badly we have been deprived of good drafting. It is not exceptional for second rounders to start. Risner is promising, but still only modestly performing above expectation.
            2018 was a great draft and 2019 looks promising. Drafts before those two have been bad. It's trending in the right direction though, not sure why you seem so down on it.
            sigpic

Comment

You do you. Fine. But I ask seriously, how many losing seasons would you endure before you call Elway’s leadership into question? There is nine years’ worth of statistical data to show he has drastically underperformed in drafting (which is 70% of a GM’s job). All other problems stem from scientifically confirmed bad drafting.
              Just curious, where did you get "70% of a GM’s job is drafting" ?

Also, what percent of a GM's job is: Trades, Free Agency, Contracts, Coaching Staff, etc.?

Comment

A GM who can’t draft is like a quarterback who can’t pass. He might be able to win an occasional game by running himself or call good pre-snap audibles, but it is not a sustainable skill set (think Tim Tebow). If Bronco fans are satisfied with the 2019 draft because Dalton Risner is a starter as a rookie, it shows how badly we have been deprived of good drafting. It is not exceptional for second rounders to start. Risner is promising, but still only modestly performing above expectation.
                (Since you mentioned Tebow)
                Tebow was good enough to lead the Broncos to the playoffs and defeat the Steelers in 2011.
                I wonder what would have been Denver's fate if Tebow continued at the helm for the Broncos.

Comment

• Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                  ill say this right now and its SAD.

Shanahan was a better GM then John.

Please feel free to prove me wrong.
                  Redskins owner Daniel Snyder signed Shanahan to a five-year, $35 million contract
                  as Head Coach sharing co-GM duties with Bruce Allen. (Mike had final say)

Shanahan led the Redskins to the following record:

(2010) 6 - 10
                  (2011) 5 - 11
                  (2012) 10 - 6
                  (2013) 3 - 13 (Fired on December 30, 2013)
                  (2014) Voided

Meanwhile Elway won another Lombardi in Denver as a GM.

I'll take Elway.

Comment

• Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post
                    (Since you mentioned Tebow)
                    Tebow was good enough to lead the Broncos to the playoffs and defeat the Steelers in 2011.
                    I wonder what would have been Denver's fate if Tebow continued at the helm for the Broncos.
                    No Manning, no Super Bowls. Drafting a QB the next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                      "No Manning" might be true but Denver's D won that Super Bowl.

The rest is conjecture.

Comment

Just curious, where did you get "70% of a GM’s job is drafting" ?

Also, what percent of a GM's job is: Trades, Free Agency, Contracts, Coaching Staff, etc.?
                        I don’t mean 70% of Elway’s time necessarily, but 70% of importance. Contracts and capology are minimal labor for a front office. Trades happen randomly. Coaching only comes up every three years or so. During training camp, most of his day is looking at who makes the 53 man roster.

That leaves college scouting and pro scouting. All personnel staff considered, college scouting might be 80% or more of man-hours across the personnel department. The Broncos have 20 scouts or personnel staff, and just two are solely focused on pro personnel.

I think that underscores how important those seven rounds are. Far more than college free agents or pro free agents, is what is the core of your team for years to come. It is nearly impossible to succeed without drafting well.
                        Last edited by GiddyupGetEm; 09-23-2019, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder signed Shanahan to a five-year, $35 million contract

(2010) 6 - 10
                          (2011) 5 - 11
                          (2012) 10 - 6
                          (2014) Voided

I'll take Elway.
                          Ummm, you might not want to get too carried away on Elway. Seems somewhat like a pot/kettle/black situation the past 3 1/4 years to me...

2016: 9-7
                          2017: 5-11
                          2018: 6-10
                          2019: 0-3

Comment

(2010) 6 - 10
                            (2011) 5 - 11
                            (2012) 10 - 6
                            (2014) Voided

I'll take Elway.
                            Lol you forget that Shanahan had to deal with RGIII and both of his daddies. Dan Snyder being one of them.

Didnt RGIIIs Dad actually go to Shanahans house in order to tell him which plays he could call for his son? Lol

I think that would throw off even Belichick

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                              Brandon weeded, Ryan tannehill, RGIII, Russell Wilson or still Brock Osweiler?
                              Last edited by Sam_Z; 09-23-2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

"No Manning" might be true but Denver's D won that Super Bowl.

The rest is conjecture.
                                No it’s not. Denver doesn’t assemble the defense without Manning. He was the catalyst to go for the gold. And Elway was itching to replace Tebow, if Manning hadn’t chosen Denver, they were definitely going in another direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X