Offensive Playcalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive Playcalling

I would like to understand why the Offensive Coordinator just cannot gameplan for the entire game? I see the first scripted 15 plays were working and led to 14-0 lead however after that it staggic and has been all year long? When it is 3rd and 6 the WR are trying to go 25 yards or further down the field? Where are the RB screens? Play Action Pass. 10 Yards Hooks Slants? Ect.....

Funny thing is lot of forum posters complain about running the ball but imo with Jano back when we are up 2 scores we should start running a LOT. Game situations make it hard to say just how much but my goal would be to run 75% of the time on 1st and 2nd down when up by two scores.

Once that identity has been established around the NFL I would reduce the number for some play action passes.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I think we might remember that not only is the players learning the new system but the coaches, OC, DC, even the HC are learning with each game and even each quarter of football played. I think IF we are patient we will have a good team for years to come. I can see an improvement with each game.

Comment

Originally posted by Kansas Bob View Post
        I think we might remember that not only is the players learning the new system but the coaches, OC, DC, even the HC are learning with each game and even each quarter of football played. I think IF we are patient we will have a good team for years to come. I can see an improvement with each game.
        Voice of reason...glad you came to the forums today
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Goto 95% of football forums and you’ll find fans complaining about their teams playcalling.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
            I would like to understand why the Offensive Coordinator just cannot gameplan for the entire game? I see the first scripted 15 plays were working and led to 14-0 lead however after that it staggic and has been all year long? When it is 3rd and 6 the WR are trying to go 25 yards or further down the field? Where are the RB screens? Play Action Pass. 10 Yards Hooks Slants? Ect.....
            The opening two drives accounted for 156 yards. The offense had 217 yards the rest of the game. The bad play by Bolles led to the strip on Flacco - had a wide open receiver in his sight when the ball was stripped. Bolles cost the offense 7 points there. The missed FG by McManus was another 3 points. The offense would have had 30 points if not for those two plays - no way those fall on Scangarello.

Holding call on Leary stalled a drive on the Chargers side. Risner’s penalty stalled another drive. Spencer’s bad decisions to field two punts on the 5 yard line put the offense in a bad position.

It was not stagnant after the first two drives. Penalties, a turnover in scoring position, missed FG made it look worse than it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              Funny thing is lot of forum posters complain about running the ball but imo with Jano back when we are up 2 scores we should start running a LOT. Game situations make it hard to say just how much but my goal would be to run 75% of the time on 1st and 2nd down when up by two scores.

Once that identity has been established around the NFL I would reduce the number for some play action passes.
              RUN, RUN, and RUN again!!! Freeman and Lindsey behind the beast Jano at FB= 1st down, TD, WIN!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kansas Bob View Post
                I'll jump on board with your 'improvement with each game' observation when we can score more than 17-20 points in a game, because it hasn't happened in a REALLY long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                  Goto 95% of football forums and you’ll find fans complaining about their teams playcalling.

It is actually a legitimate issue when all of your offensive output starts and ends in the 1st Quarter what about the 2nd or 3rd Quarter not waiting until the end of the 4th LoL.

Comment

I was wondering about it a little bit. I was thinking when they get the lead they get a little too conservative possibly?

Comment

I thought play calling was ok. Yes when Lindsay and Freeman can establish 5yds a carry you need to feed them some. I still wish we would be more purposeful to get Fant involved, though he has to get open too. We have deep threats with a deep passing QB but not always a deep threat blocking LT,RT. We had some crappy field position in the 2nd half too.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                        I was wondering about it a little bit. I was thinking when they get the lead they get a little too conservative possibly?
                        Conservative would have been sticking with the run but so many times they kept going to pass - even had that one horrible series that was blown up twice in a row where Flacco rolled out on a boot. That was not conservative play calling.

Some things were working well though. Play action overall looks good with the 1/2 threat of Lindsay and Freeman. Lindsay has shown to have good hands in the passing game and another receiving threat. Sutton is a beast.

Pass pro still an issue. Crossing routes? Do we run any? I don't remember seeing any and could be wrong, but even Romo brought it up.

Scangarello is inconsistent and seems to try to be cute at times. Stick with what is working? No, that's what they'll expect us to do so let's pass, pass, pass, punt.

Got the win but there is room for improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                          Conservative would have been sticking with the run but so many times they kept going to pass - even had that one horrible series that was blown up twice in a row where Flacco rolled out on a boot. That was not conservative play calling.

Some things were working well though. Play action overall looks good with the 1/2 threat of Lindsay and Freeman. Lindsay has shown to have good hands in the passing game and another receiving threat. Sutton is a beast.

Pass pro still an issue. Crossing routes? Do we run any? I don't remember seeing any and could be wrong, but even Romo brought it up.

Scangarello is inconsistent and seems to try to be cute at times. Stick with what is working? No, that's what they'll expect us to do so let's pass, pass, pass, punt.

Got the win but there is room for improvement.
                          Yeah, I get it.
                          There was a couple 3rd and Longs, that I thought they would just throw the bomb, and then they would throw something that was just short of the first down for whatever reason?Blocking, pass rush, Etc. could have been the reason? And to fair catch the ball inside the 10-yard line on punt returns seems a little bit ridiculous, but that's not on the offensive coordinator.
                          When we fair catched the ball on the 4-yard line and then Flacco did "a Flacco" I was getting kind of frustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                            I'm a weak arm chair QB but to me, a few (negative?) aspects seem to be obvious with our offense.

Passing game, Flacco is spending too much time in the pocket. Why?

1) He's not effectively spotting open receivers / backs?
                            2) Receivers / backs not getting open due to them not out smarting the defensive coverage?
                            3) Weak / poorly conceived play call, lack of imagination?
                            4) It's a no brainer, all of the above?

Running game, too many plays straight up the middle. Why?

1) It's seems like most rushing plays are left or right of the center. Yes, no, maybe?
                            2) Is our offensive line not capable of consistent effective blocking to create quality gaps?
                            3) Weak / poorly conceived play call, lack of imagination?
                            4) It's a no brainer, all of the above?

Puzzling!
                            Last edited by jazzbodog; 10-07-2019, 07:14 AM.
                            Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Seems like Scangerello is still trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t. Last week they tried to get Hamilton involved, this week they spread the ball out with Sutton leading the team with 4 receptions. Spencer seems to have a nice little gadget package on offense, might want to start giving him more reps there. Sanders can still play but he was off this game sitting in zones in the middle of the field while Flacco was on a bootleg.

Sutton definitely needs to get the ball more though. He’s turning into a monster after the catch and DBs don’t want to tackle when he has a full head of steam. He did break that route off to short late in the game on 3rd down but if he didn’t have to adjust so much for that pass he likely would’ve powered his way to the first down.

I think I’m starting to understand why Flacco likes those swing routes to the RB so much. Not only can the RB get the ball quick in space (think Westbrook in Philly with Reid extension of the run game type stuff) to gain a few yards but it starts to soften up the middle of the field where Flacco really likes to throw the ball.

I don’t think the offensive struggles are behind us but I do think they are starting to find a groove. Just got to eliminate the penalties as much as possible and stay in manageable down and distances. Definitely liked seeing I think Freeman just throw Brown for that first down that got nullified by the penalty. Risner is rubbing off on some people

Comment

Working...
                              X