Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bench Joe Flacco

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    It's scary because all it would do is create more sandbagging. I really don't have a preference on any one QB. I care more about the philosophy and approach. They have 9 games to attempt a proper assessment. There is not unlimited time where we just keep trying guys for a couple of games. IMO, it's about committing. Either commit to one of the current guys on the roster or commit to a high draft pick this offseason. If Allen comes in and lights it up, great. Stick with him. I definitely don't want to see a turnstile at QB anymore. Furthermore, I certainly don't want to see another aged vet FA QB who is a 2 year rental.

    I'm not even really arguing against your point. I just want to see a commitment to a young franchise QB. Lock has the largest investment, so it is likely he will get the biggest chance. I do not want to see this team trip over their own feet and start a turnstile at QB. Personally, I think Lock has the biggest upside and the biggest investment, so he needs as much PT as possible so we can decide if he's our guy or not.
    Is the team ready to commit to Lock who is, by all accounts, a project at QB? Yes, they have a lot invested in him. So should we really be rushing him into a starting role he may not be ready for? Is the reward worth the risk?

    Consider that the risk of starting Allen or Rypien is incredibly small. We're not expecting either of them to be the franchise guy, so if they ball out, the reward is huge in comparison to a such a small risk. If they fail, the risk wasn't so costly.

    Moving on from Flacco should be the immediate goal. Finding out if any of our young QBs have NFL talent should be the next most important task. If they're ready to start Lock, that's what they should do. If they're not, they need to give one of the other guys a shot.
    Last edited by Megalodon30; 10-21-2019, 12:08 PM.
    Eternal Broncos Optimist

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
      I'm not hesitant to see Lock. If he's gonna start, he's gonna start. If he has what it takes, he'll succeed. I'm just wondering what the coaching staff wants to do. If they're ready to start Lock, they should. But if they don't, they should still bench Flacco.

      Its why I'm bringing this up in the Bench Flacco thread. We have options to roll with if the staff doesn't believe Lock is ready yet. The one thing we all agree on is that Flacco shouldn't be starting anymore. I just hope the coaching staff feels the same way.
      I actually feel that unless Elway orders the coaching staff to do otherwise, they'll stick with Flacco all year. Generally speaking coaches are very hesitant to play young quarterbacks even if your season is tanking and the offense is awful.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
        I'm not hesitant to see Lock. If he's gonna start, he's gonna start. If he has what it takes, he'll succeed. I'm just wondering what the coaching staff wants to do. If they're ready to start Lock, they should. But if they don't, they should still bench Flacco.

        Its why I'm bringing this up in the Bench Flacco thread. We have options to roll with if the staff doesn't believe Lock is ready yet. The one thing we all agree on is that Flacco shouldn't be starting anymore. I just hope the coaching staff feels the same way.
        Seriously. If the coaches and FO roll with "Flacco gives us the best chance to win", I might have a full blown meltdown lol. I really, truly, strongly hope the FO and coaching staff can admit it's time to stop trotting out old, crappy QBs behind a makeshift o-line.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
          I actually feel that unless Elway orders the coaching staff to do otherwise, they'll stick with Flacco all year. Generally speaking coaches are very hesitant to play young quarterbacks even if your season is tanking and the offense is awful.
          Sadly this is too true. The Jags may never have known what Minshew could do if Foles hadn't gotten injured. But that's what frustrates me. We could have a diamond in the rough currently on our roster, but we'll never know it because we're wasting cap space on a guy allowing him to do nothing more than warm the bench.
          Eternal Broncos Optimist

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
            Is the team ready to commit to Lock who is, by all accounts, a project at QB? Yes, they have a lot invested in him. So should we really be rushing him into a starting role he may not be ready for? Is the reward worth the risk?

            Consider that the risk of starting Allen or Rypien is incredibly small. We're not expecting either of them to be the franchise guy, so if they ball out, the rewars is huge in comparison to a such a small risk. If they fail, the risk wasn't so costly.

            Moving on from Flacco should be the immediate goal. Finding out if any of our young QBs have NFL talent should be the next most important task. If they ready to start Lock, thats what they should do. Of they're not, they need to give one of the other guys a shot.

            Agreed for the most part. If Lock isn't ready and the risk is too high because he's too much of a project, then they probably need to move on from him anyway. Still, it's hard to know if he's ready if he never plays.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
              Seriously. If the coaches and FO roll with "Flacco gives us the best chance to win", I might have a full blown meltdown lol. I really, truly, strongly hope the FO and coaching staff can admit it's time to stop trotting out old, crappy QBs behind a makeshift o-line.
              100% agree. You lose the locker room trotting out a guy that you know doesn't help you win. It's why I think we should bench Flacco this week. The staff should show everyone that if you aren't producing, you get benched. And show that they want to build the offense and move forward, not stick with an older guy just because he has experience.
              Eternal Broncos Optimist

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
                100% agree. You lose the locker room trotting out a guy that you know doesn't help you win. It's why I think we should bench Flacco this week. The staff should show everyone that if you aren't producing, you get benched. And show that they want to build the offense and move forward, not stick with an older guy just because he has experience.
                Totally agree. Unfortunately, as has been mentioned, it probably won’t happen. I really hope they wise up, though. We shall see.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                  Agreed for the most part. If Lock isn't ready and the risk is too high because he's too much of a project, then they probably need to move on from him anyway. Still, it's hard to know if he's ready if he never plays.
                  I think Elway was smart enough to recognize Lock wasn't day one ready. We heard pre-draft that Elway loved Lock, but he was patient enough to wait for him to drop to round 2. He didn't jump at the opportunity in the first round saddling Lock with 1st round expectations.

                  The problem is, he didn't give Lock a great development opportunity. He went out and aquired a band-aid starter that was already over the hill hoping he'd start long enough for Lock to sit and learn.

                  I do not think we should move on from Lock before seeing what he's got. Ideally, he'd sit the rest of this year, get another offseason and preseason under his belt, then get his first opportunity next season. Of course, this season has been far from ideal, so he'll more than likely start this year. I just hope he's ready.

                  He didn't look adjusted to the NFL game this preseason. If we throw him out there before he's caught up to the speed of the game, we're right back in the same boat a couple years from now, complaining about another QB flop and arguing when to start yet another rookie.
                  Last edited by Megalodon30; 10-21-2019, 12:09 PM.
                  Eternal Broncos Optimist

                  Comment


                  • Flacco will probably be the starter until we get officially eliminated from the wildcard. Or unless he gets hurt.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
                      I think Elway was smart enough to recognize Lock wasn't day one ready. We heard pre-draft that Elway loved Lock, but he was patient enough to wait for him to drop to round 2. He didn't jump at the opportunity in the first round saddling Lock with 1st round expectations.

                      The problem is, he didn't give Lock a great development opportunity. He went out and aquired a band-aid starter that was already over the hill hoping he'd start long enough for Lock to sit and learn.

                      I do not think we should move on from Lock before seeing what he's got. Ideally, he'd sit the rest of this year, get another offseason and preseason under his belt, then get his first opportunity next season. Of course, this season has been far from ideal, so he'll more than likely start this year. I just hope he's ready.

                      He didn't look adjusted to the NFL game this preseason. If we throw him out there before he's caught up to the speed of the game, we're right back in the same boat a couple years from now, complaining about another QB flop and arguing when to start yet another rookie.
                      I think we agree for the most part. I just think it makes more sense to get him out there ASAP. I’d rather he take his lumps this season since it’s already a lost cause. Just my take, though.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                        I think we agree for the most part. I just think it makes more sense to get him out there ASAP. I’d rather he take his lumps this season since it’s already a lost cause. Just my take, though.
                        It all boils down to how the staff feels about Lock. If they feel he needs time, they shouldn't rush him. If they feel he's ready, they should start him. My feeling is, if they don't feel he's ready, they should still bench Flacco for Allen or Rypien.
                        Eternal Broncos Optimist

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                          Flacco will probably be the starter until we get officially eliminated from the wildcard. Or unless he gets hurt.
                          This is the unfortunate truth. The problem is most teams have a “mathematical chance” until very late in the season. Realistically eliminated is something entirely different. Historically speaking, only one team has ever made the playoffs after starting 0-4.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
                            It all boils down to how the staff feels about Lock. If they feel he needs time, they shouldn't rush him. If they feel he's ready, they should start him. My feeling is, if they don't feel he's ready, they should still bench Flacco for Allen or Rypien.
                            Well I think we’re both sort of living in dream land, so it’s really moot anyway lol.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                              Well I think we’re both sort of living in dream land, so it’s really moot anyway lol.
                              It's probably easier from the fans perspective to say, hey we should start Lock, than to be the guy that is getting paid to make the decision. I understand why they'll stick with Flacco as the safe option, I just wish Fangio would be aggressive. He'll go for 2 in the first quarter. He'll run fake punts. Now if only he'd be aggressive enough to give one of the young QBs a chance.
                              Eternal Broncos Optimist

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
                                It's probably easier from the fans perspective to say, hey we should start Lock, than to be the guy that is getting paid to make the decision. I understand why they'll stick with Flacco as the safe option, I just wish Fangio would be aggressive. He'll go for 2 in the first quarter. He'll run fake punts. Now if only he'd be aggressive enough to give one of the young QBs a chance.
                                I admit I look at it from my personal fan perspective. I’m tired of mercenary rentals. I’m with you, let’s get some young blood out there. It will give us something to get excited about. There is absolutely nothing exciting about watching Flacco.
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X