• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by arapaho View Post
    I thought booker was very good at passpro

Royce misses a ton of blocks he is supposed to get, but then putting in booker to pass block would be a tell since he hardly plays
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    He’s also probably our best overall receiving back in terms of catching and route running. I thought he showed a lot of improvement in a limited sample size last season as well, didn’t look too shabby on his kick return either
    My mistake, mixed up Freeman and Booker...Freeman seems to struggle reading blitzers and misses too many blocks. I think Booker should be moved to #2. Was it the game vs Browns or Indy that Booker had a nice reception with YAC?

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied

Royce misses a ton of blocks he is supposed to get, but then putting in booker to pass block would be a tell since he hardly plays
    He’s also probably our best overall receiving back in terms of catching and route running. I thought he showed a lot of improvement in a limited sample size last season as well, didn’t look too shabby on his kick return either

Leave a comment:

• arapaho
    replied
    Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I’m not sure what the issue is with Booker on pass protection. Maybe he’s not good at reading how a defense is disguising blitzes.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    I agree on booker, I like Royce motor running the ball, but he misses way to many blocks in pass protection
    I’m not sure what the issue is with Booker on pass protection. Maybe he’s not good at reading how a defense is disguising blitzes.

Leave a comment:

• shadowlands
    replied
    I think Allen deserves at least a couple more games against stronger teams to see how he does.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Agreed. Hopefully Fumagalli will stay healthy and provide another option.
    Fumagalli is nice, I think he’s going to be a very solid dependable TE for a long time. Maybe not dynamic but something like a Jack Doyle or Cameron Brate type of player.

Leave a comment:

• arapaho
    replied
    I’m keeping expectations in check because we only have one game to go by. I think we need to move Booker over Freeman especially for pass protection, or use Jano. It should help having Fumagalli and Fant as targets. If Scangarello can find plays to leverage BA’s strengths he should give the offense a chance. We’re so used to seeing poor play from quarterbacks it was nice to see anything positive.
    I agree on booker, I like Royce motor running the ball, but he misses way to many blocks in pass protection

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    I was just happy we threw more slant routes. Anything that gets the ball in Sutton’s hands is a good thing for us. He’s been a monster after the catch and making tough catches in traffic. Hopefully Tim Patrick can step in opposite of him and make some plays because were going to need a 2nd option while Fant struggles with consistency issues and Sutton starts to garner more attention.
    Agreed. Hopefully Fumagalli will stay healthy and provide another option.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    I’m keeping expectations in check because we only have one game to go by. I think we need to move Booker over Freeman especially for pass protection, or use Jano. It should help having Fumagalli and Fant as targets. If Scangarello can find plays to leverage BA’s strengths he should give the offense a chance. We’re so used to seeing poor play from quarterbacks it was nice to see anything positive.
    I was just happy we threw more slant routes. Anything that gets the ball in Sutton’s hands is a good thing for us. He’s been a monster after the catch and making tough catches in traffic. Hopefully Tim Patrick can step in opposite of him and make some plays because were going to need a 2nd option while Fant struggles with consistency issues and Sutton starts to garner more attention.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    I was very high on Allen when he came out for the draft and had him pegged as 3rd round pick that could excel in this type of offense. But arm strength concerns and hand size (he’s the guy that got hand massages to increase their size) really dropped his stock. Followed him a bit in preseason and he never looked nearly as good as he did in college and I was thoroughly unimpressed this preseason when we played him. So my expecting dropped when we signed him but he has potential

Leave a comment:

• orange crush75
    replied
    Originally posted by False Start View Post
    Just watched Allen and Ole Miss in a shootout on YouTube.
    The kid has moxy, pocket presence, smarts, mechanics, good speed and ball skills.
    He reminds me of a turbo charged Kyle Sloter, who should have never been able to leave........John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcWzUX3FweU
    Well you may have a point , they both were on a ps.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by Wildhog View Post
    Hard to translate what he does from college to the NFL, but when he was at Arkansas, he was very risk-averse. He simply does not turn the ball over very much. His last two years as a Hog, he threw 50 TDs and 13 INTs. He's quick to throw the ball away (sometimes too quick), but he does a wonderful job of protecting the ball. Another thing is that he got consistently better every year. He's a football junkie and is a really hard worker. He's a coach's son. His dad Bobby was a Razorback assistant for a long time and still has an administrative role there.

He's sneaky fast, too, and not afraid to pick up yards with his legs.

I'm not going to say that he'll be your franchise QB or anything, because the league is full of backups that were college heroes, but he'll work his ass off for you and do whatever it takes to help the team. I really hope he works out for y'all.
    Thanks for the insights. Hopefully with more reps and work with the receivers the timing will improve. With Denver’s defense he doesn’t need to have 300+ yards a game. If he protects the ball and increases red zone efficiency then we’ll have a shot at winning more games. Even if he finds a home as a solid backup that would be a win. I hope he does well as he seems like a great guy to have on the roster.

Leave a comment:

• False Start
    replied
    Just watched Allen and Ole Miss in a shootout on YouTube.
    The kid has moxy, pocket presence, smarts, mechanics, good speed and ball skills.
    He reminds me of a turbo charged Kyle Sloter, who should have never been able to leave........John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcWzUX3FweU

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    I watched the highlight game - wow what a game. That was the year Ole Miss with Chad Kelly beat Bama. The 4th down play was amazing. Two things stood out, his accuracy passing on the move and looked comfortable in the pocket. He made an incredible throw scrambling to the right when it looked like he was going out of bounds. He’s also good with squaring his hips when moving to the left. I might take some heat for saying this, but he reminds me of Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. Wilson is more stout but the way Allen makes plays reminds me of him. In another thread I thought he played like Chad Kelly but I think he looks more like Wilson.
    I was very high on Allen when he came out for the draft and had him pegged as 3rd round pick that could excel in this type of offense. But arm strength concerns and hand size (he’s the guy that got hand massages to increase their size) really dropped his stock. Followed him a bit in preseason and he never looked nearly as good as he did in college and I was thoroughly unimpressed this preseason when we played him. So my expecting dropped when we signed him but he has potential

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Zach Schomler from Strong Opinion Sports does a pretty good job breaking down Brandon Allen's plays. I thought for a first game ever Allen did ok, but there were definitely areas he needed to improve on, such as scanning the whole field and not locking onto his first read.
    After the game BA said he missed a few early throws from being hyped up. He knew the pass to Sutton was inside and a bit short as soon as it left his hand. Going to the first read might have been the goal for his first start. Looked like some plays were run to let him get the ball out fast. Maybe with more snaps the game will slow down a little to go through his reads. Scangarello might give him plays to work one half of the field. Getting practice with Sutton, Fant and others should help with timing. The also need to think about moving Booker over Freeman, or use Jano in pass protection. Freeman isn’t getting it done consistently.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X