Offensive Coordinator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I think the odds would favor Scangarello having a better season for a few reasons. First we don’t know how many calls failed due to poor quarterback play (Flacco) and execution. Second, Lock will have a full off-season to continue developing. Third, any additional talent for the offense through the draft/FA would help. We’ll never know because he’s gone now, however just as players can take the next step in their second year the same thing can happen with coaches. I don’t disagree he held back the offense in situations but there was a lot more to the story than just Scangarello. After the season Fangio said Lock and Scangarello developed trust working together, so he made a positive difference.
    But we do know by looking at the data. No one can argue that Flacco was especially bad this year but the offensive stats point to a larger problem in play calling.

Another complaint is how poorly the Broncos performed when the game went beyond the opening 15-18-play script. In the first quarter, when the Broncos were on-script, they were a top-15 offense in the NFL. After the opening script, however, Denver was the worst offense in the league, literally, ranking 32nd in all categories except for rushing.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/...roncos-offense
    That's pretty telling. If the team is average to above average during the scripted plays then execution cannot explain why there is such a enormous drop-off once the team goes off script.

Talent and execution could have improved but even with the same personnel on the field, as soon as Scangs started calling plays outside of his scouted and scripted plays, he was spit-balling most of the time, and showed he still has a lot to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rastic View Post
      But we do know by looking at the data. No one can argue that Flacco was especially bad this year but the offensive stats point to a larger problem in play calling.

That's pretty telling. If the team is average to above average during the scripted plays then execution cannot explain why there is such a enormous drop-off once the team goes off script.

Talent and execution could have improved but even with the same personnel on the field, as soon as Scangs started calling plays outside of his scouted and scripted plays, he was spit-balling most of the time, and showed he still has a lot to learn.
      Execution should be better during the scripted plays as the offense knows what they’re running. The offense had 25 holding penalties, 2nd most the league. Those penalties put the offense behind schedule, which alters play calls. Does anyone believe holding penalties didn’t impact offensive production? Was Scangarello responsible for Bolles, Wilkins and Leary committing holding? The holding calls are just one example of poor execution. Wilkinson allowed 10 sacks which was the 4th most for all tackles. Those sacks put the offense behind schedule and impacted play calls. That doesn’t account for sacks allowed by Bolles.

It’s not as simple as only comparing the scripted plays to the rest of the offensive snaps. Penalties, sacks, pressures, etc. all played a role and happened throughout the games.
      Last edited by Fantaztic7; 01-15-2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• I remember these comments. While I agree that Flacco wasn't playing all that well. He also was never known as a talker. Yet here he is throwing his Coordinator under the bus.

I personally believe Flacco felt the need to do it at that point and he was talking for everyone on the offense at that point in time. I bet the Offense high fived him in private. This imo says a lot about why he is gone. I don't believe the players believed in him. And from some of the comments from the head coach, I'm not wo sure Vic did either. Vic may have just been waiting for his chance when the Coordinator candidate he wanted became available.
        Last edited by FL BRONCO; 01-15-2020, 08:54 PM.
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
          Execution should be better during the scripted plays as the offense knows what they’re running. The offense had 25 holding penalties, 2nd most the league. Those penalties put the offense behind schedule, which alters play calls. Does anyone believe holding penalties didn’t impact offensive production? Was Scangarello responsible for Bolles, Wilkins and Leary committing holding? The holding calls are just one example of poor execution. Wilkinson allowed 10 sacks which was the 4th most for all tackles. Those sacks put the offense behind schedule and impacted play calls. That doesn’t account for sacks allowed by Bolles.

It’s not as simple as only comparing the scripted plays to the rest of the offensive snaps. Penalties, sacks, pressures, etc. all played a role and happened throughout the games.
          The offense always knows what it's running, because they call the plays. An inside zone or stretch play isn't any different from play 12 to play 27. Nor is a passing play that you ran on play 5 different when you call it on play 25.

The difference is that your first 15 plays or so are based on what you're pretty sure the defense is going to give you to start (their base or a variation of it) the plays after that are against a defense that has made adjustments. If you can't make an adjustment after the defense has adjusted then you're done.

The Broncos offense struggled badly this year in making in-game adjustments. Starting the second half they rarely had an answer for what the defense was doing, which is why they scored just 10 of their 28 total touchdowns in the second half. For comparisons sake they scored 9 offensive touchdowns in the first quarter this season. They went almost 3 calendar months without scoring a fourth quarter touchdown.

I'm not absolving execution or mistakes in anyway. The players screwed up far too often to be let off the hook. But between the seeming lack of any sort of base offensive plays (I've complained about this for a long while) and the lack of second half adjustments, it seems obvious that the Offensive Coordinator had a lot of growing to do.

I personally believe most coaches should get at least two years before they're potentially fired, so I would have understood if they didn't make the move. But I also think that it's stupid to keep someone you don't have faith in, and who you don't agree with just for the sake of continuity.

EDIT: And to be fair to Wilkinson, he didn't get called for holding much, he was usually getting beaten too quickly for him to have a chance to hold...

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            The offense always knows what it's running, because they call the plays. An inside zone or stretch play isn't any different from play 12 to play 27. Nor is a passing play that you ran on play 5 different when you call it on play 25.

The difference is that your first 15 plays or so are based on what you're pretty sure the defense is going to give you to start (their base or a variation of it) the plays after that are against a defense that has made adjustments. If you can't make an adjustment after the defense has adjusted then you're done.

The Broncos offense struggled badly this year in making in-game adjustments. Starting the second half they rarely had an answer for what the defense was doing, which is why they scored just 10 of their 28 total touchdowns in the second half. For comparisons sake they scored 9 offensive touchdowns in the first quarter this season. They went almost 3 calendar months without scoring a fourth quarter touchdown.

I'm not absolving execution or mistakes in anyway. The players screwed up far too often to be let off the hook. But between the seeming lack of any sort of base offensive plays (I've complained about this for a long while) and the lack of second half adjustments, it seems obvious that the Offensive Coordinator had a lot of growing to do.

I personally believe most coaches should get at least two years before they're potentially fired, so I would have understood if they didn't make the move. But I also think that it's stupid to keep someone you don't have faith in, and who you don't agree with just for the sake of continuity.

EDIT: And to be fair to Wilkinson, he didn't get called for holding much, he was usually getting beaten too quickly for him to have a chance to hold...
            Okay, I spit my drink on that one.......
            Last edited by FL BRONCO; 01-15-2020, 09:05 PM.
            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Working...
            X