Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New NFL Alignment

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New NFL Alignment

    Just heard this on the radio this morning.

    Fangio is suggesting we do away with divisions and each team in the AFC or NFC plays every other team once then 1 additional game against a rival team in the other conference. Then the top 6 teams make the playoffs. That would eliminate an 8-8 team hosting a 12-4 team in the wildcard round. This is my idea of this, not his, but that would also eliminate teams in bad divisions having many easy games every year such as the Patriots playing Miami, Buffalo, and the jets twice a year for the past 10 years or so.

    There is some merit to this idea but doing away with divisions is a radical departure from the history of the league.

    Thoughts?
    sigpic

  • #2
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Just heard this on the radio this morning.

    Fangio is suggesting we do away with divisions and each team in the AFC or NFC plays every other team once then 1 additional game against a rival team in the other conference. Then the top 6 teams make the playoffs. That would eliminate an 8-8 team hosting a 12-4 team in the wildcard round. This is my idea of this, not his, but that would also eliminate teams in bad divisions having many easy games every year such as the Patriots playing Miami, Buffalo, and the jets twice a year for the past 10 years or so.

    There is some merit to this idea but doing away with divisions is a radical departure from the history of the league.

    Thoughts?
    Interesting for sure! If this or a variation of it happened I wouldn't be surprised. Is there any hidden or obvious negatives?
    Utah Bronco Freak

    Comment


    • #3
      I like the idea because it would actually start new rivalries while still keeping games vs our former division foes.

      I can see the benefit for the playoff seeding, but on the same hand I feel like the tie breaker would be implemented often. We could see a 12 game winner an 11 game winner and 4 9-7 teams with no division winners for separation. At least with the division winners we have some (somewhat) reasonable logic for the seeding. I suppose the head to head game would be the tiebreaker, but if three teams finish with same record they could in theory still be tied if they all went 1-2 vs each other.

      Comment


      • #4
        That’s along the lines of something I’ve suggested before.

        Since the league wants 18 games, they could have 3 interconference games.

        They could also add 2 expansion teams and have zero interconference games, if they stay at 16 games.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

        Comment


        • #5
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I understand an 8-8 division winner hosting a 12-4 team should never happen but it's part of the current system. I wouldn't want to get rid of division rivals as well. It would also get incredibly repetitive having an identical schedule every year. I want to see the Broncos play more than one NFC team a year.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            It was worse back in he day when home field in the playoffs alternated by division. That's how the 14-0 Dolphins faced the 11-3 Steelers in the AFC Championship game at Pittsburgh.

            The part I don't like about this idea is only facing only one team from the other conference. Plus what makes a non-conference rival? Geography? Not only that, instead of facing the Cowboys for example once every 4 years, now you face them once every 15 years. Nah

            Maybe add 1 game a season. Keep the 4 games vs. the other conference and rotate the schedule by only facing 3 teams from the other division each year based on the previous year's record .Have each team in the division face each other only once a year and have all division games in the final three weeks of the season as part of "Rival Month" or something.

            Comment


            • #7
              I like some of it. I like the idea of fair playoff seeding. I like the idea that everyone essentially plays the same opponents, so there’s less advantage for teams in super weak divisions.

              I’m usually not much of a traditionalist, but division rivalries would go away. Division rivals definitely add some excitement and intrigue to the schedule, thus it gives fans a certain amount of unity and rooting interest. That said, it could also provide new rivals. It would also take away a lot of NFC vs AFC play. I personally like inter-conference play.

              I’m not opposed. It would be interesting to see how it would work out, for sure.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                Just heard this on the radio this morning.

                Fangio is suggesting we do away with divisions and each team in the AFC or NFC plays every other team once then 1 additional game against a rival team in the other conference. Then the top 6 teams make the playoffs. That would eliminate an 8-8 team hosting a 12-4 team in the wildcard round. This is my idea of this, not his, but that would also eliminate teams in bad divisions having many easy games every year such as the Patriots playing Miami, Buffalo, and the jets twice a year for the past 10 years or so.

                There is some merit to this idea but doing away with divisions is a radical departure from the history of the league.

                Thoughts?
                The idea has merit but, as you said, it is a radical departure from the current and recent historical was the league has done things.

                Whether that is the way to go about it or some other way, I don't know, but it's worth considering. The biggest benefit is that there is no easy road to the playoffs. The trade-off though is having the ability of an outlier with the ability to shake up the playoffs and possibly win it all - just ask the 2011 NY Giants or the 79 LA Rams - two 9-7 teams to make it to the SB (Giants won, Rams lost).

                Granted, in 2011 the Giants would have qualified as the 6th team to make the playoffs but the overall point I think stands. They won their division at 9-7 but the Falcons and Lions, both 10-6, were wildcard teams. On the other hand, our own Broncos would have made the playoffs in 85 (11-5) had this or similar idea been in place.

                We've also seen teams with losing records make the playoffs like the 2010 Seahawks (7-9) and the 2015 Panthers (7-8-1). Neither team would have made it with the top 6 from the conference - and in 2010 there were four 10-6 teams, one of which would not make the playoffs either

                The idea is at least a good start to possibly finding a different way. The league has changed and evolved over time, no reason it cannot going in to the future.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I’d be hesitant to change the format. Maybe just change how home field is decided in the playoffs. The Seahawks won a playoff game at 7-9 and if they hadn’t have been in we wouldn’t have seen arguably the greatest run of all time by Lynch.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I like it how it is with traditional rivalries. Change the playoffs so best record always gets home field

                    If player safety is really a concern add another bye week (maybe two) which adds an additional week (or 2) of games to increase revenue while giving players more rest at the same time.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                      I like the idea because it would actually start new rivalries while still keeping games vs our former division foes.

                      I can see the benefit for the playoff seeding, but on the same hand I feel like the tie breaker would be implemented often. We could see a 12 game winner an 11 game winner and 4 9-7 teams with no division winners for separation. At least with the division winners we have some (somewhat) reasonable logic for the seeding. I suppose the head to head game would be the tiebreaker, but if three teams finish with same record they could in theory still be tied if they all went 1-2 vs each other.
                      that's a good point. tie breakers wouldhave to be changed as well
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                        I’d be hesitant to change the format. Maybe just change how home field is decided in the playoffs. The Seahawks won a playoff game at 7-9 and if they hadn’t have been in we wouldn’t have seen arguably the greatest run of all time by Lynch.
                        That's one of my favs too! That one and Riggins are probably my top 2.

                        ...maybe Christain Okoye vs Atwater
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                          I’d be hesitant to change the format. Maybe just change how home field is decided in the playoffs. The Seahawks won a playoff game at 7-9 and if they hadn’t have been in we wouldn’t have seen arguably the greatest run of all time by Lynch.
                          I'm with you. I hate that the Patriots have an easy division, but at some point teams have to try to get better. I do like reseeding the playoffs though. Any given Sunday.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                            That's one of my favs too! That one and Riggins are probably my top 2.

                            ...maybe Christain Okoye vs Atwater
                            Thx for bringing up one of my all time fav players.....all time character as well, with many looks indeed:





                            Comment


                            • #15
                              As others have already said, I don't want to play teams in the other conference so little, and so rarely.

                              They just need to change the seeding/hosting rules to make it fair. Winning your division should not guarantee a home game, only a playoff berth.

                              Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X