New NFL Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
    As others have already said, I don't want to play teams in the other conference so little, and so rarely.

They just need to change the seeding/hosting rules to make it fair. Winning your division should not guarantee a home game, only a playoff berth.
    Yep, Denver has benefited from this before but the team with the best record ought to host the playoff game.

Comment

This is a very interesting and even complex discussion. Tear down divisional walls? Interesting.

I do like rivalries, and I absolutely see The AFC and NFC as they are, other than potential to realign teams if they're location does not make sense. I would like changes to be considered so that:
      1) Teams do not benefit from being in lousy divisions year after year (which should not be as big a factor as I even think, given parity)
      2) Teams play more games with other "non divisional" teams than they do now
      3) Strength of schedule is as big a factor as any, when it comes to playoff determination
      4) Consider eliminating the divisional winner, and just seed teams based on The Conference standings
      5) But keep rivalries alive at a minimum level

Suggested Approach

1) Unlike some other sports, where many more games are played, The NFL has a rather tight structure to manage. Just 16 games. I am ok with divisions for the rivalry part, but only play each of them 1 time....home field changes every year.
      2) The remaining 13 games to be divied up as follows:
      - 7 games against Conference teams and 6 games against non Conference teams, meaning you play 10 conference and 6 non conference games. Though not increasing non conference games significantly, it would go from 4 to 6 games each year, which means the turnaround of playing all NFC teams could be reduced from 4 years to 2.67 years, in theory. But I would keep the conference games at 10, because a conference should play a reasonably higher number of games each year.
      - And though I am a little unsure how I would select who plays who, I would want every team to play a fairly balanced schedule each year. I would not go for the champs playing the hardest schedule, nor vice versa, because each year is different, and teams sometimes rise or fall in a season, based on a range of factors including over-achievement and under-achievement.
      - And the ongoing schedules should ideally vary from team to team, year after year, other than the 3 divisional games

BUT...this is not easy to create and even worse, plan. But some variation to employ rivalry plus more variety of schedule plus bias towards the right teams making the playoffs and being seeded accordingly.
      Last edited by CanDB; 12-12-2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

The first scheduled change I would like -1 or -2 preseason games and make then into regular season games. Basically bump it up to 18 weeks of good football
        sigpic
        oakland raders gm
        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
          As others have already said, I don't want to play teams in the other conference so little, and so rarely.

They just need to change the seeding/hosting rules to make it fair. Winning your division should not guarantee a home game, only a playoff berth.
          I agree, I'm from Iowa and I get excited when Denver goes to Minnesota or Chicago. I'm just a few hrs away from that game vs a 10 hr drive to Denver everytime. Chiefs are close to me too but I hate going to a rival away game LOL. The format makes sense with the schedule but I don't want to give up the games against the other conference.

Comment

1) Teams do not benefit from being in lousy divisions year after year (which should not be as big a factor as I even think, given parity)[/QUOTE
            This is a weakness of the present system, that teams can get more wins in weak divisions. This was somewhat addressed with the addition of Wildcard teams. Many years ago you had to win your division to make the playoffs. It's easier to get wins in weak divisions, but a wild card team won't come from a weak division.

I don't have a big problem with it though as I believe the way things are now keeps more teams in the playoff hunt longer, which keeps fan interested longer.

The biggest inadequacy I've seen in the NFL concerning the playoffs was back when there were 28 teams and there were 6 divisions. 4 divisions had 5 teams and 2 divisions only had four. That meant 8 teams had a 25% chance of making the playoffs (at random) by winning their division, but the other 20 teams only had a 20% chance of making the playoffs by winning their division. That wasn't fair at all and I can't believe this was never brought up.
            Last edited by lvbronx; 12-12-2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

I actually like that you would play the other conference so rarely.

Adds to the mystique of the super bowl.

I thought baseball lost a little something when they introduced inter league play.

Comment

Leave it as is or make the regular season more important.

Don’t add teams to the playoffs and don’t reseed.

Division winners should get a home game. That’s the reward for winning the division.

There’s nothing unfair about the current system.

As far as I’m concerned, too many teams make the playoffs as it is. If it were up to me, only division winners would be in the playoffs.
                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                You Mad Bro?
                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

3 problems are apparent with the current alignment:
                  1. Some team has to win the NFC East. Whichever team does is almost certainly worse than 1-2 teams that won't make the playoffs.
                  2. Parity does not affect divisions equally. See AFC East. Just because the other teams in your division are perpetual dumpster fires shouldn't mean you get the easiest path to the playoffs and home games every year.
                  3. Conversely, just because 3 teams in a division are competitive/good shouldn't mean they are all penalized in the playoff and home field race by knocking each other off

I'd love to see a variation where you play division rivals once a year alternating locations, then say 4 non-conference rotating and the remainder in-conference rotating a division you don't play. Take the top 6 regardless of division for playoffs. Reduces the playoff bonus/penalty based upon strength of division, allows for some variety in the remaining games season to season, but you still play more in-conference opponents than the current format.

Comment

I don't like the idea. I like having divisions as sort of a 'regular season mini championship' to root for. I also don't like the current set up though, as you now play less than half of your games in your own division. A team could go 10-6 and lose every division game but win the division and go off to the playoffs as the champ. If anything I'd be in favor of making divisions more meaningful rather than eliminating them.
                    Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Things are all relative. When you listen to players and coaches each offseason, they tend to have one initial goal....win the division. In that regard, given it is part of the rule process, it makes sense. So I suppose that, if you win with a sub 500 record, you achieved the goal, based on the NFL rules. Typically teams will end up with at least 9 wins when doing so. There are few exceptions.

BUT....I'm game for change, and I like this discussion overall, because we seem to be presenting more than critiquing. Sort of "green lighting" or whatever the terms are in today's planning world. And though I see the merit in our suggestions, I just never believe things will fly with The NFL, unless they have thought it over long before the discussions begin.

But hey....this is fun.

Comment

How about this:

Realign into three divisions (E, C, W) of two conferences. Five teams per division. Every year three division winners and three wilds go to the playoffs from each conference. The two teams that finish as the lowest two ranking franchises are removed from the NFL and placed in a farm league. The two teams that play in the farm league championship that year join the NFL and get the first two (non-transferable) draft selections, winner gets first overall pick. The NFL will share revenue with the farm league to keep it profitable enough to continue, always maintaining at least six teams plus the two current NFL disqualifiers.

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                          How about this:

Realign into three divisions (E, C, W) of two conferences. Five teams per division. Every year three division winners and three wilds go to the playoffs from each conference. The two teams that finish as the lowest two ranking franchises are removed from the NFL and placed in a farm league. The two teams that play in the farm league championship that year join the NFL and get the first two (non-transferable) draft selections, winner gets first overall pick. The NFL will share revenue with the farm league to keep it profitable enough to continue, always maintaining at least six teams plus the two current NFL disqualifiers.
                          To hell with relegation. Let Europe keep that crap.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                            To hell with relegation. Let Europe keep that crap.
                            It would certainly add some drama to the idea of tanking in the NFL. As well as bring attention to franchises that are historic perennial bottom feeders.

Comment

Just re-seed at playoff time. You’re an 8-8 NFC East Champ? Great! Good for you. Welcome to the playoffs. Now go play @SEA in Round 1...

I mean, unless I’m missing something- if you’re a division champ, and somehow run into another team from your division in the playoffs- you’re already guaranteed home field in that game. Don’t see why being division champ has to convey any more privileges than that...
                              Last edited by Southern Bronco; 12-13-2019, 04:19 AM.

Comment

How about just make a simple rule that you must have a winning record in order to secure a home playoff game, even if you win the division. If you win the division, you are guaranteed a playoff spot, but you are not guaranteed to play at home unless you are 9-7 or better. If you are 8-8 or worse, the home playoff game comes down to the tiebreaker with the wildcard team. If the wildcard team has a better record than 8-8, they can steal your home game, and the division winner must play on the road @ the wildcard team.
                                The Magic Is Back! IN ELWAY WE TRUST!

Comment

Working...
                                X