Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome aboard Melvin Gordon!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm not 100% convinced Gordon is the better back. He's better on 3rd and as a pass catcher. But as far as running the ball Taz averages almost a yard per carry more for their careers.

    IMO Gordon is the favorite to be the #1 guy but Taz isn't someone I'd automatically count out either. Lindsay being angry at us signing Gordon then turning his focus to competing is vintage Lindsay. Plus...Taz was a pretty good receiver at CU his Jr year. I wonder how much his wrist injury hurt him last year...it was pretty much the same injury that ended Shane Ray's career.

    Comment


    • Shane ray sucking ended Shane Ray's career. Didnt do much here. Did squat while with baltimore. Wrist was fine there and when we cut him. He just wasnt very good.
      So far:
      FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
      1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

      Comment


      • Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
        I'm not 100% convinced Gordon is the better back. He's better on 3rd and as a pass catcher. But as far as running the ball Taz averages almost a yard per carry more for their careers.

        IMO Gordon is the favorite to be the #1 guy but Taz isn't someone I'd automatically count out either. Lindsay being angry at us signing Gordon then turning his focus to competing is vintage Lindsay. Plus...Taz was a pretty good receiver at CU his Jr year. I wonder how much his wrist injury hurt him last year...it was pretty much the same injury that ended Shane Ray's career.
        Gordon’s ypc numbers are deceiving. When you look at his splits they compare pretty well to most RBs. Or at least I’d assume so, I’ve only looked at how he compared to Lindsay.

        Lindsay:
        1-3 yards - 2.8
        4-6 yards - 3.5
        7-9 yards - 4.2
        10+ yards - 5.6

        Gordon:
        1-3 yards - 2.8
        4-6 yards - 3.7
        7-9 yards - 5.2
        10+ yards - 4.2

        Fairly similar numbers with Lindsay getting a .2 edge. I do think Lindsay has had a better run blocking oline but on the flip side Gordon has had Rivers to take some pressure off the run game in theory.

        Either way I don’t think there’s much of a drop off if any between the two which is a big boon to the offense because there was a considerable drop off between Lindsay and Freeman.

        On the topic of Freeman, I don’t think he’s a bad RB either he just needs a little extra time to get a head of steam where as Lindsay can make things happen in a hurry due to his explosion. Gordon is more explosive than Freeman and less than Lindsay but I think he’s better at manipulating defenders to get his own space. I think Gordon will probably fall somewhere between 4.2 and 4.6 ypc this year. Lindsay will still probably end up higher than that though.
        Last edited by beastlyskronk; 06-25-2020, 08:49 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
          Shane ray sucking ended Shane Ray's career. Didnt do much here. Did squat while with baltimore. Wrist was fine there and when we cut him. He just wasnt very good.
          No. Ray's wrist was never "fine" after the injury. But the point is Lindsay had the same injury and it is a serious injury and not about Ray.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
            Gordon’s ypc numbers are deceiving. When you look at his splits they compare pretty well to most RBs. Or at least I’d assume so, I’ve only looked at how he compared to Lindsay.

            Lindsay:
            1-3 yards - 2.8
            4-6 yards - 3.5
            7-9 yards - 4.2
            10+ yards - 5.6

            Gordon:
            1-3 yards - 2.8
            4-6 yards - 3.7
            7-9 yards - 5.2
            10+ yards - 4.2

            Fairly similar numbers with Lindsay getting a .2 edge. I do think Lindsay has had a better run blocking oline but on the flip side Gordon has had Rivers to take some pressure off the run game in theory.

            Either way I don’t think there’s much of a drop off if any between the two which is a big boon to the offense because there was a considerable drop off between Lindsay and Freeman.

            On the topic of Freeman, I don’t think he’s a bad RB either he just needs a little extra time to get a head of steam where as Lindsay can make things happen in a hurry due to his explosion. Gordon is more explosive than Freeman and less than Lindsay but I think he’s better at manipulating defenders to get his own space. I think Gordon will probably fall somewhere between 4.2 and 4.6 ypc this year. Lindsay will still probably end up higher than that though.
            Lindsay 4.9 ypc for his career
            Gordon 4.0

            My point being that some are saying Gordon has already won the job. I'd say Gordon's biggest advantage is his contract, but Lindsay is the last person I would ever count out. I'd set the odds of being #1 RB at about Lindsay at +275 and Gordon at -30 or so.

            Comment


            • Looking at Shurmur's recent comments, I think it's safe to say that he understands the talents of both Gordon and Lindsay, and they will split time as 1A/1B backs instead of a bellcow vs. backup relationship. Instead of framing Gordon's addition as him taking Lindsay's spot, let's readjust our perspective to Gordon being an upgrade over Freeman-- which he is. In terms of skill-set, I see Gordon as being a necessary back in our backfield. He is simply a better pass catcher than Lindsay and a better blocker than Freeman. The amusing thing I noticed last season was that, despite their body types and playing styles, Freeman was leaned on in the receiving game more than Lindsay, and Lindsay was a much more dependable pass blocker than Freeman. Gordon brings steady talent to those two important aspects of being a RB in today's NFL. He may not have the best YPC and he does struggle with ball security, but I have faith in Shurmur to maximize Gordon's abilities while keeping the backfield stable fresh by giving Lindsay his fair share of touches.
              2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
              Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

              Comment


              • Except for QB and T, the offensive positions are deep headed into TC.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                Comment


                • Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                  No. Ray's wrist was never "fine" after the injury. But the point is Lindsay had the same injury and it is a serious injury and not about Ray.
                  Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                  Lindsay 4.9 ypc for his career
                  Gordon 4.0

                  My point being that some are saying Gordon has already won the job. I'd say Gordon's biggest advantage is his contract, but Lindsay is the last person I would ever count out. I'd set the odds of being #1 RB at about Lindsay at +275 and Gordon at -30 or so.

                  Ill disagree with you twice.
                  Shane Ray and Lindsay being the 1a
                  So far:
                  FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                  1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

                  Comment


                  • I hope we have a great 1-2 punch in our running game.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                      Ill disagree with you twice.
                      Shane Ray and Lindsay being the 1a
                      Define 1a? 40% of the combined carries between the two? And how can you disagree when I never made a pick and only set the odds?

                      Comment


                      • Glad we have Gordon now

                        Ian Rapoport
                        @RapSheet
                        #Broncos RB Phillip Lindsay, who is battling turf toe, is still receiving a second opinion. But don’t be surprised to see him miss the next few weeks, just based on the nature of his injury and the position he plays. But it’s not considered long-term.
                        8:12 AM · Sep 16, 2020·TweetDeck
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          Glad we have Gordon now
                          If only we could use him correctly he was averaging like 5.0 ypc and the OC does not use him to grind out the clock when Denver got the ball back on the 50 Yard Line all we had to is run the ball run the clock out kick the FG and win the game.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                            If only we could use him correctly he was averaging like 5.0 ypc and the OC does not use him to grind out the clock when Denver got the ball back on the 50 Yard Line all we had to is run the ball run the clock out kick the FG and win the game.
                            I was thinking the same thing when we got the ball on the 50, that we were going to grind it out, and win the game.

                            Comment


                            • Bummer Lindsay is out for a few weeks. And turf toe...that just always seems to linger. Hoping Melvin can be that bell cow type back for us. And yes, OC needs to use him properly.
                              sigpic

                              Comment


                              • Gordon can definitely be a bell cow, he’s a load to bring down. Unfortunately ball security seems to still be an issue with him so I expect many will complain about that given how spoiled we’ve been with Lindsay never fumbling.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X