Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are chances of the season being canceled?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What are chances of the season being canceled?

    As we know, a lot of teams should be getting prepared for the season. Players would normally be in the gym, doing drills or practicing with each other to get in sync. Since social distancing is in place, how are teams supposed to prepare at this time? Teams will definitely be rusting going into the season.
    Go Hard or Go Home

  • #2
    I am a bit of an optimist, but I feel like we will have a season, even if it does not start on time. We may even see games without fans for some portion, but I believe the season will happen...just a question of how many games or how late will it go.

    Comment


    • #3
      We should all feel relieved after this :

      https://sports.yahoo.com/president-t...202620506.html

      I would just add that, hope everyone stays Safe. Eventually things will get back to what they say will be the new Normal.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think there is a decent possibility the season starts on time. There could be a delay to allow enough time for training camp/preseason. Maybe the season could start on-time if a preseason game is removed. The “wildcard” is a second round of Coronavirus in the fall. We could see the season start only to be stopped due to re-emergence of the virus, maybe another strain.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by colowoz View Post
          We should all feel relieved after this :

          https://sports.yahoo.com/president-t...202620506.html

          I would just add that, hope everyone stays Safe. Eventually things will get back to what they say will be the new Normal.
          When this is over things will go back to exactly the same, humans are creatures of habit and once everyone is back at work, sport, restaurants, clubs, etc......... then they will mix with each other and get on with their lives as before. This will just become a footnote in history like everything else that has come before.

          People who think this will change anything when its gone just don't understand humans. The only change will be more vigilance behind the scenes with research.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think right now the odds are 60-40 for the season. 2-3 weeks ago I would have said 80-20 for the season. It will probably be delayed for 1-4 weeks but that's just my optimistic/pessimistic opinion.
            I do hope the restrictions are going away by May.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              So far I'm impressed that politics have pretty much stayed out of this (although we came close) so I'm going to keep this thread open for now. But this is a reminder that no political discussion will be accepted.

              Comment


              • #8
                The properties that brought this virus all the way from Wuhan to the US, from zero cases to hundrrds of thousands confirmed, so quickly will not change. Until there is herd immunity, I expect the virus to re-emerge unless we develop means to prophylactically prevent its spread. I am afraid that with all of our efforts, it will simply appear again as soon as our guards drop. I don't foresee circumstances where tens of thousands gathering will happen for some time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CheyennePress View Post
                  The properties that brought this virus all the way from Wuhan to the US, from zero cases to hundrrds of thousands confirmed, so quickly will not change. Until there is herd immunity, I expect the virus to re-emerge unless we develop means to prophylactically prevent its spread. I am afraid that with all of our efforts, it will simply appear again as soon as our guards drop. I don't foresee circumstances where tens of thousands gathering will happen for some time.
                  China has largely returned to normal, in Wuhan people have started to leave the house and free movement out of the city will be allowed on 8th April, they are beginning to return to normal life.

                  Numbers are falling each day in Italy.

                  In Spain - From BBC news

                  Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez says the country is "close to passing the peak of infections" as the number of coronavirus deaths fell for the second day in a row.

                  Mr Sánchez also extended lockdown measures until 25 April, saying the restrictions were "saving lives".

                  The toll of 809 deaths in one day is the lowest in Spain for a week.

                  Addressing the nation, Mr Sánchez said extending the lockdown for two weeks was necessary to give the health service time to recover.

                  "These are the most difficult days of our lives," he said.

                  Once the number of new infections was under control a "progressive return to a new normal" would get under way to rebuild the economy, he said. New hygiene, detection and tracing measures would be in place.


                  The States are just a few weeks behind Europe. Your see numbers go up each day for a few weeks and peak, then slowly come back down.

                  September is a long way away, if mass gatherings are not allowed at that stage (they will be) then millions will be out of work.... all the sports across the world, festivals, etc...... that would have to be cancelled and the staff released would be far far far more damaging then any virus.

                  Bottom line, this is only sustainable for a limited time. Look at the damage it is doing to businesses and the economy in Europe, and the lockdown has only been 2-4 weeks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                    China has largely returned to normal, in Wuhan people have started to leave the house and free movement out of the city will be allowed on 8th April, they are beginning to return to normal life.

                    Numbers are falling each day in Italy.

                    In Spain - From BBC news

                    Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez says the country is "close to passing the peak of infections" as the number of coronavirus deaths fell for the second day in a row.

                    Mr Sánchez also extended lockdown measures until 25 April, saying the restrictions were "saving lives".

                    The toll of 809 deaths in one day is the lowest in Spain for a week.

                    Addressing the nation, Mr Sánchez said extending the lockdown for two weeks was necessary to give the health service time to recover.

                    "These are the most difficult days of our lives," he said.

                    Once the number of new infections was under control a "progressive return to a new normal" would get under way to rebuild the economy, he said. New hygiene, detection and tracing measures would be in place.


                    The States are just a few weeks behind Europe. Your see numbers go up each day for a few weeks and peak, then slowly come back down.

                    September is a long way away, if mass gatherings are not allowed at that stage (they will be) then millions will be out of work.... all the sports across the world, festivals, etc...... that would have to be cancelled and the staff released would be far far far more damaging then any virus.

                    Bottom line, this is only sustainable for a limited time. Look at the damage it is doing to businesses and the economy in Europe, and the lockdown has only been 2-4 weeks.
                    Didn’t China just go back under lockdown because they thought they were over it already and it was too soon?
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      As for the season even though it’s 5 months away I think it’s very much at risk. And I don’t play into the fear drama that’s going around with this virus. But there’s several factors at play.

                      1. I live in the South and people are being very very ignorant about this thing which is only going to prolong how long it takes to get over the curve. I’ve been working from home for two weeks and only going to get groceries. But thousands of people are out and about daily. My sister said she saw people swimming at their neighborhood pool yesterday. Seriously? In April? I see friends posting pics on Facebook daily of them out around town drinking a beer. Apparently thousands around the country are gathering in hospital parking lots to honk their horns to show support. Don’t understand that one at all. It’s gotta be major distracting to the hospital. And it violates the limits on gathering in groups even if you stay in your vehicle. It’s just people finding any reason they can to be out of the house.

                      It’s also spring and people are going daily to buy non necessities like mulch for their yard and lawn equipment. I saw a guy Thursday driving home with a brand new tv in his truck bed.

                      Many of us are taking this seriously to help flatten the curve. Many more are not however.

                      2. Trump has said he currently expects no delays. But there are many owners/governors voicing concern and claiming they don’t expect they can support pro sports this soon. Just because the virus may be gone by then doesn’t mean every city/state will be in condition to support entertainment. As much as we want it. So many people have lost jobs over this thing. The California governor already said he believes their stadiums would be empty even if fans are allowed back in stadiums. (Not that that’s much different than normal in that state though)

                      3. A vaccine hasnt been developed yet. Hopefully we have one soon but until one is developed we can’t be certain remaining at home will flatten the curve to a point where it just goes away. The longer it takes the longer things like sports, concerts, movies will be delayed.

                      Again not trying to make this political or dramatic and yes the NfL season is still a long ways away but I’d still say it’s at a pretty high risk.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ^^^

                        I think this had a great potential to affect the season. Depending on the continued rate of spread training camp could be severely limited it even cancelled. If that happens I would expect something, maybe not an outright cancellation of the season but possible delay and shortened season.

                        The issue of empty stadiums is also very real. Life should eventually return to normalcy but once quarantines are lifted I can't help but think that those who have been under them will be looking to go into highly public places soon.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                          Didn’t China just go back under lockdown because they thought they were over it already and it was too soon?
                          I have not seen this but would not surprise me. China has been understating the effect on their country so hard to evaluate based on their information.


                          Until large number of people have been exposed and recovered (though normal exposure or vaccine) we will be one "patient zero" away from having another outbreak.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                            ^^^

                            I think this had a great potential to affect the season. Depending on the continued rate of spread training camp could be severely limited it even cancelled. If that happens I would expect something, maybe not an outright cancellation of the season but possible delay and shortened season.

                            The issue of empty stadiums is also very real. Life should eventually return to normalcy but once quarantines are lifted I can't help but think that those who have been under them will be looking to go into highly public places soon.
                            I would not be surprised to see empty stadiums (or arenas) when sports first comes back in whatever form it comes back.
                            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              One thing i also forgot to mention was the number of people who will now be scared to return to public once it’s been ok’d to. I imagine some places like New York City will be shell shocked for awhile.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X